Likelihood of car being written off on no-claim - Makayla

I had a side to side collision, where each car got a bump and graze with both cars still drivable. I am not going to make a claim against my car insurance, but suspect the third party will make a claim, and say that it was 100% my fault. I have informed my insurers of the incident, but not made a claim

I’m afraid if my insurers come to inspect my car they may try to write it off as a category S. I do not think the damage is significant, but there is a small dent in the fender and the gap between the fender and the hood is very slightly larger than the other side. I have read accounts of cars being written-off/put in category S for seemingly minor things, so am a bit worried.

I have the following questions I was wondering someone with more experience could advise on?

1. Under what circumstances would they have to inspect my car or a claim made by a third party?
  2. If I admit 100% liability to my insurer, will they just pay the third party out for repairs, and skip having all the cars inspected, etc?
  3. If I do not raise an insurance claim, can mine or their insurers re-categorise my car based on photos/inspections when investigating the damage to the third party car?

Edited by Makayla on 19/12/2020 at 20:12

Likelihood of car being written off on no-claim - daveyjp

Your car can only be written off if you make a claim to cover the costs of having it repaired,

Any third party claim will be for repairs to their own vehicle, not yours.

Likelihood of car being written off on no-claim - Bromptonaut

As an example:

I had an own fault accident in August 2019. Slightly dozy and scraped by Skoda Roomster from stem to stern against a nearside M/way barrier in an area of all lane running. If I'd not claimed I could simply have taken it to a body shop and got it fettled.

Because I claimed the car was thoroughly inspected and they discovered damage to to the suspension and steering and as a result it was written off as Category S.

The only thing I'd say is that before making a final decision of whether to claim make sure you know the FULL extent of the damage to your own car.

Likelihood of car being written off on no-claim - Avant

That last point is SO important. Now that cars don't have proper bumpers (and they haven't for years, going through the chromium ornament stage to the current non-existence), even a minor shunt in a car park could do unseen damage behind the cosmetic damage to the plastic 'bumpers'.

Likelihood of car being written off on no-claim - skidpan

That last point is SO important. Now that cars don't have proper bumpers (and they haven't for years, going through the chromium ornament stage to the current non-existence), even a minor shunt in a car park could do unseen damage behind the cosmetic damage to the plastic 'bumpers'.

Car do have proper bumpers, they are behind the "cosmetic" plastic covers. Immensely strong and bolted to the "chassis" legs. better than the protection we used to get in older cars.

Likelihood of car being written off on no-claim - RT

Car do have proper bumpers, they are behind the "cosmetic" plastic covers. Immensely strong and bolted to the "chassis" legs. better than the protection we used to get in older cars.

The cowboy repairers will just replace/repair the visible panels and leave the damaged structure unseen.