Ford Fiesta 1.25 2000 - N/S driveshaft removal from gearbox - Roland T

I’m in the process of separating my engine and gearbox to investigate an oil leak, which I suspect to be from the crankshaft oil seal.

I’m almost ready to undo the N/S engine mount and begin dropping the engine/box but can’t remove the N/S inner driveshaft from the box. I’ve removed the outer driveshaft between the inner and outer CV joints but cannot remove the female half of the inner tripode type CV joint from the box. I’ve removed the O/S driveshaft but it’s not possible to drift the N/S driveshaft out from the other side, as there’s something between them in the way.

I’ve tried levering with large screwdrivers and crowbars but the webs on the casting make it difficult to get enough purchase and I've hit the wall with that approach.

I’m wondering if it might be possible to lower the box with the inner driveshaft still in place, though it looks like it will foul the subframe, just above the front bolt of the suspension arm. Has anyone tried this and did you get away with it?

Failing this, does anyone have any other tips on how I might get the inner driveshaft out? I’m doing this on axle stands on the drive, so there’s a limit to the length of lever I can use.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Roly.

Ford Fiesta 1.25 2000 - N/S driveshaft removal from gearbox - blindspot

maybe .just rotate a fraction. and give it a quick yank. sometimes afer a good nights sleep .it will just come out so easy,you,ll laugh

Ford Fiesta 1.25 2000 - N/S driveshaft removal from gearbox - Roland T

Trust me Blindspot, I'd tried every position possible. After a night's sleep and a good breakfast, I tackled the job with fresh arms and renewed vigour .................but with the same lack of success (no Weetabix for breakfast).

I realise there are not so many of this model left on the road but should anyone want to know:

No, the driveshaft definitely has to come out to give enough sideways movement to separate the gearbox from the engine.

I had to make a bespoke lever from a piece of 40 x 40 x 3mm angle iron, suitably shaped at the end to be able to get far enough behind to exert the required force sufficiently parallel to the axis of the shaft. That did the job.

Ford Fiesta 1.25 2000 - N/S driveshaft removal from gearbox - blindspot

oh mate . well done. hear some people have succsess with a slide hammer .. thanks for the reply i might try that on some future occasion