Car tax carnage! - NAthan smith
So I still don’t think anyone (including the govt) understand the new additional tax changes for cars. Example, the govt website states for a 17 plate 520d over £40k new, first year is £150 a year Followed by 5 years at £475. However I enquired On the above car and was told you only had to pay the £475 until 2022 and not 2023? He even sent me a pic of the V5 which showed this! Who knows!
Car tax carnage! - Brit_in_Germany

So after the first year, in 2018, the first payment of £475 was due followed by 4 more payments in 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022. I think everything fits together.

No because it’s 5 year’s at the higher rate after the first year which would be until 2023
Car tax carnage! - Big John

From the DVLA Website:-

"Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000

You have to pay an extra £325 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000. You do not have to pay this if you have a zero emission vehicle.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed)."

So on a 17 plate that's new car tax in 2017 then the extra £325 at 2018 (second car tax) followed by 19,20,21,22 at the higher rate - higher tax expiring in 2023.

However could it be sooner? If the car changed owner and was retaxed earlier in the cars life then the second time the car was taxed could be still 2017 - followed by 18,19,20,21 at the higher rate - higher tax expiring in 2022.

Just a theoretical idea - or am I a year out? It is rather confusing though.

Presumably when the car is taxed for the second time will need to be held somewhere so that's is why it is on the V5 - that should be the definitive information required.

Edited by Big John on 03/08/2020 at 22:41

The above was my understanding although as mentioned the V5 for the car clearly said it was only until 2022. It’s very confusing and I’m sure a lot of people have been caught out by this as the info is very unclear!
Car tax carnage! - _

In the nicest possible way, If someone can afford north of £40,000 for a car, that will almost certainly be a "prestige make" the an extra £325 for 1 year should not make a difference.

When i bought my last car, admittedly a lot less than that, my only consideration was what I wanted, not what a dealer or manufacturer wanted to sell me. its about point 75% of the new cost at £40000.

Orb think you are missing the point, it’s an extra £325 for 5 years not 1!
Car tax carnage! - Andrew-T

That's not how I read your OP - you seem to be asking about only the final year of payment ? Your wording clearly says five years at that rate for >£40K cars, about which there is no argument.

Car tax carnage! - _

I fully understand the point, but the sum extra for 1 year out is point 75% of the new cost, it's minor.

I checked DVLA too and the website is clear.

I'd be more worried about a suspension airbag failure on a Beemer with air suspension which will cost £500...