help or i'm gonna have to walk - kaytee
hi, we are looking for a car that looks ok but is practical too. we've got about £10,000 to spend, n a clapped out old alpha to p/e(keep tellin the old man we'll get nothin' 4 it).can't decide what to go for. any help greatly received thanx.
help or i'm gonna have to walk - steveb
hi, we are looking for a car that looks ok but
is practical too. we've got about £10,000 to spend, n a
clapped out old alpha to p/e(keep tellin the old man we'll
get nothin' 4 it).can't decide what to go for. any help
greatly received thanx.

Sorry - this isn't the Vectra-Sport discussion board - only real words are used here .... !

;-)

PS how about a Seat Leon 1.9 TD 110 ?
help or i'm gonna have to walk - SteveH42
Looks are relative, practical depends what you would be using it for. Give us a bit more info and I'm sure people will come up with more suggestions than you can shake a stick at!

FWIW, I find the Yaris both good looking and very practical as well as a pleasure to drive, plus you'll get plenty of change from your £10k unless you go right to the top of the range. However, if you have a family of 5 to transport or routinely tow a caravan to the south of France then it's not such a good choice!
cheers steves'. there is just me n the old man (and a 15 year old son when he feels like it).old man in midlife, new car or an 18 year old(wish he'd go for the 18 year old). thought about the leon but don't know much about them. he likes the mgzr nuff said?
help or i'm gonna have to walk - bafta
kaytee, I presume that when you refer to your 'old man' in mid-life crisis going for an eighteen year old you are referring to a vehicle and not a nubile young thing?
help or i'm gonna have to walk - HF
please don't take this the wrong way, kaytee, but I think you'd get a lot more response to your question if, as Steve says above, you use so-called 'normal' language instead of phone text speak!
help or i'm gonna have to walk - SteveH42
Not just that, HF, but gave us a few more clues! Do you want it for commuting, pottering around the country, driving across the continent, motorway cruising, burning off souped-up novas? You sound like 'the old man' is after something sporty - is that OK with you, or would you prefer to go for something sporty yet practical? What is the thinking behind going for an older car? etc, etc.

Once you get this lot started, you'll get more advice than you probably want, but we do need something to get our teeth in to!
hi, thanks for the replies.we are looking for something sporty but practical.my husband likes the hyundai coupe and the mgzr. i like the leon cupra. to be honest we aren't very clued up on engine power etc but i like the power in the car we have now. (L reg alpha 155 :- hubby bought it because he liked the look of it no thought of service or spare costs etc. can't go through that again). so really we are looking for something sporty, practical,reliable and newish(up to 3 yrs old). we don't do many miles at the moment because our car is unreliable but hope to change that. thanks
help or i'm gonna have to walk - Mattster
For £10,000 you can get a new Focus 1.6LX if you shop around (see internet brokers on this site). You could also get a nearly new Civic 1.6 Sport, which is very reliable, practical and offers group 6 insurance.
to be quite honest we don't really know a lot about cars, we are a motor dealers dream thats why we think buy new with warranty.i think i've been put off the mgzr though.i just hate parting with my hard earned cash lol. any advice on what to choose, we really haven't got a clue except for mark (husband, can i still call him the old man on here?)liking the hyundai coupes. thanks for any advice.
help or i'm gonna have to walk - DavidHM
The Leon Cupra is an absolute dream of a car. You might not find too many for £10k but it's well put together, drives well, is reasonably econmical (35 mpg ish unless you thrash it), very fast, and made out of bits of Audi by Belgians pretending to be Spanish.

If you want any more recommendation, Honest John drives one himself. Only downside is that some cars have been known to suffer ignition coil failures and the parts can be difficult to get hold of - and the high insurance.

£10k should get you your pick of three year olds and maybe a few two year olds with slightly above average (30-40k) mileage, particularly if you don't limit your search to the franchise network.

There aren't really any Hyundai Coupés in your price bracket. At £10k they're likely to be the last of the old shape from a franchise - they're a bit outdated at that money. Below £5k they're a good used buy - the five year olds also look better, and new, they've got the looks if not the image.

An MX5 is a great car but doesn't sound like it will be practical enough for you.