Dacia Duster - CCTV to combat persistent vandalism problem - Marty888

In my street cars are being constantly targeted by vandalism mostly scratches and dents with the newest ones being targeted most. I know who the culprit is. I have never been troubled myself however I intend to buy a new Duster later in the year which means I probably will.

Can anyone advise of a comprehensive 24/7 CCTV system that can be left running as a deterrent, can run for up to two weeks without attention, is legal to use and will advertise its presence.

In case anyone is wondering, the local police aren’t remotely interested.

Dacia Duster - CCTV to combat persistent vandalism problem - Graham567
I have one of these overlooking the car in the street.Only £79.99 + the cost of a sd card.

amzn.to/37NfgJ7

I also bought this sign to notify people of CCTV recording.
bit.ly/2Bo8g9A

It will take a 128 sd card for recording( www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XFHQGB9/ref=ppx_yo_...1 ) and the picture quality is excellent.You view the camera on an app on your phone so you can see the picture anywhere in the world.
The infrared night mode is excellent,displaying the picture in black and white, but the street can be in total darkness.
The camera is wi-fi(or wired if your prefer) with only a power socket needed to get it working.I have mine on the corner of the house with the power lead going up into the loft and a socket wired to plug it in.Mine is approx 3 years old now and not had any trouble and very pleased with it.
Hope that helps.

Edited by Graham567 on 21/06/2020 at 14:50

Dacia Duster - CCTV to combat persistent vandalism problem - Bromptonaut

CCTV surveiling your own property is an exemption to normal rules about data protection and registration with the Information Commissioner.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/

If you need it to cover the street it's not impossible but involves a little bit of hoop jumping.

Dacia Duster - CCTV to combat persistent vandalism problem - Ethan Edwards

If you know who is doing this why haven't a group of the victims had a word with the culprit? Cctv isn't going to do much if you arent prepared to stand up for yourselves.

Dacia Duster - CCTV to combat persistent vandalism problem - Marty888

This person is basically subnormal in every possible respect. He has had endless rucks with most of the neighbours but part of the issue is that you get a mentality with some people that its great fun when its someone else and then people get a reality check when it is their turn. Disappointing all round really.

Dacia Duster - CCTV to combat persistent vandalism problem - focussed

CCTV as a deterrent or a means to get evidence to report the perpetrator to the authorities?

If it's a daytime problem the CCTV might be worthwhile investing in as a deterrent, together with some notices advertising it.

If it's a night time problem, some targeted security lights switched by movement detectors might be a better bet.

But are your local police going to be any more interested in the problem when presented with video evidence, or are they going to give you a hard time about the Data Protection aspect- otherwise known as the criminals protection charter?

We haven't had any vandalism problems where we are, on a back road in rural france, I make a point of walking out and hanging over the gate and having a good look at any vehicle that stops outside, I am usually in scruff order in overalls with a hatchet and brush knife on my belt if I've been doing pruning or cutting back the rain forest, so I must look pretty intimidating!

Do that in the UK and you get arrested - over here not a problem!

Edited by focussed on 21/06/2020 at 22:54

Dacia Duster - CCTV to combat persistent vandalism problem - drd63

That’s a daft comment, of course you don’t get arrested in the UK especially if you’re clearly gardening. If you’re carrying a large knife and hatchet in an urban area of France or the UK you are quite rightly going to be of interest to plod or les flics.

Daft comment? I didn't say I was gardening, I am walking along the road bordering our land hacking back hedges, overhanging tree branches and undergrowth, about 200 metres of it.

Daft comment? I didn't say I was gardening, I am walking along the road bordering our land hacking back hedges, overhanging tree branches and undergrowth, about 200 metres of it.

And the same activity in a rural UK setting wouldn't interest the police. Nor for that matter would a landowner tidying his boundaries in the suburbs.

Wander the streets with an axe on your belt and you probably would be stopped. Same in the banlieue of Paris or Lyon.

And the same activity in a rural UK setting wouldn't interest the police. Nor for that matter would a landowner tidying his boundaries in the suburbs.

Wander the streets with an axe on your belt and you probably would be stopped. Same in the banlieue of Paris or Lyon.

Very soothing words Bromp - but don't have bladed articles in your van if you are a professional gardener, never mind walking down the street!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3165489/Gardener-arrested-and-taken-to-court-for-carrying-work-scythe-in-van.html

Dacia Duster - CCTV to combat persistent vandalism problem - FP

Perhaps it should be made clear that the man involved in the case referenced above was not convicted, that the case spectacularly collapsed and the judge suggested an apology from the CPS was due.

It is to be hoped that situations like this are extremely rare.

It is to be hoped that situations like this are extremely rare.

Couldn't read the report in the Telegraph as it seems to be paywalled. However a search of the defendant's name found other reports.

It seems that rather than having tools in back of his van there were axes in the door pockets and a scythe in the foot well. Further, there was a bread knife and a machete behind the sun visor. Combine that with a possible failure of attitude at the roadside, or the possibility he was 'known' either with a record or via intel then you can see why police thought CPS/court should decide.

Fault was with CPS who took too long to recognise that because of the relatively low prospect of conviction or other technical reason the case should be pulled.

Dacia Duster - CCTV to combat persistent vandalism problem - drd63

For want of a better description that sounds like gardening to me.

Dacia Duster - CCTV to combat persistent vandalism problem - Jamie3141

Whether or not the police are interested enough to gather their own evidence (collective statements, witness accounts, etc.) and then run with this to the CPS is a non-issue in my opinion.

The OP has already alluded to the fact that he may have the name and address of the vandal in question. If the police are of no help (as they so often are these days) then gather the required evidence and prosecute the individual yourself. This right is afforded to you by the Prosecution of Offences Act (POA) 1985. Naturally, any damages recovered will only account for losses you've sustained that are evidentially provable. It is unlikely that a court (or the CPS if they take the case over) would sustain retrospective charges on the basis of witness statement alone. In law, we say that you must establish a 'prima facie' case. Adding erroneous charges which aren't prima facie may lead the court to assume that the 'information' (charge sheet presented) is motivated by vexation. If you're going to go with this method, you must present the case with candour and your conduct must be unimpeachable, because you're acting as a prosecutor. If you're unsure about anything, you should just instruct a solicitor or barrister---at that point, however, the cost of representation will likely outweigh damages suffered.