Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - D ford
Hi all i signed the paperwork and paid a deposit for a new car with my car as a part exchange.
Now that the dealership has started checking car deals for a hand over. They called me to say that will have to look in to my deal so in other words, they are trying to wiggle out of it!!
Does anyone know what can be done in this situation?
Thanks
Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - jc2

Can you give us some more details-they may just be wanting to recheck your part exchange!

Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - daveyK_UK
Which part of the deal is the issue?
Hi
The dealership manager said that they need to relook at the deal even though it was previously agreed and signed. He wont even commit to saying that the deal stands.
Shouldn’t the agreed trade in value still stand as its listed on the signed paperwork?
Cheers
Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - Falkirk Bairn

Walk

Look around you could get a better deal elsewhere.

Ive looked and cant get close.
If everything was signed i cant see how they can back out of it?
Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - bathtub tom

If you've got it in writing and there's no time limit stipulated they could just be trying it on.

Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - Andrew-T
Ive looked and cant get close. If everything was signed i cant see how they can back out of it?

If the deal looks legally watertight, the sellers will have realised it is too good to be true (for you) so they may try to scare you off, or persuade you to help them out. Worth fighting for, but if you can't win, at least get your deposit back !

If they decide to dig their heels in, I'm sure they could find a reason that the car is 'not for sale'. Most likely that the car would make more profit sold to someone else.

Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - Andrew-T
Shouldn’t the agreed trade in value still stand as its listed on the signed paperwork?

No - it was some time ago, and anything might have happened to your car in the meantime - unless the deal you signed says it will stand for XX weeks. But there may well be small print which covers extreme circs such as global pandemics.

Trade-in values must have bounced around a lot just recently.

Hi the deal was done during the pandemic but was unable to collect due to lock down ??
Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - pd

There may be a time limit clause on the PX valuation or it is stated as provisional. If you think about it some to order cars can take 6 months so any PX valuation is usually guidance only with a clause it will be re-evaluated on the day.

Need to read the paperwork.

Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - thunderbird

If you want the deal to be 100% written in stone at the time of ordering you need to make it a condition of signing and get it written on the order. Done this a couple of times in the past and even then on one occasion the garage tried to wriggle out of it by saying the salesman did not have the authority to do that type of deal, they lost that one.

Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - Terry W

We live in exceptional times.

If the garage want to back out of the deal, ultimately your only option is solicitors and courts to force them to comply with the agreement. You may or may not win the case (depending on what has contractually been agreed), but will certainly be in for a lengthy wait for resolution.

The garage may also be on the brink of bankruptcy anyway and will do almost anything to stay afloat - your deposit may be at risk!

Unless the sums involved are large (more than £2-3k say) I personally wouldn't pursue it. I would be more concerned with getting my deposit back ASAP (how much?) as this could be at serious risk. A solicitors letter threatening action may just unlock things and won't cost a great deal.

Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - veloceman
Same happened to me in February before we even thought about Covid
Ordered a brand new Giulia Veloce, paid deposit and signed order form.
They phoned me up 5 days before collection saying the figures didn’t work and they couldn’t do the deal. They refunded my deposit without me asking.
Trading standards did say I could pursue it but I thought what’s the point.
I got a better deal somewhere else.
Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - catsdad

This is very annoying and I suspect they do want to undo the deal but we don’t know for sure or at what cost to you. Why not hear them out so you know what you are dealing with.

If it’s then not acceptable to you then , as others have said, get your deposit back and walk.

Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - primus 1

Funnily this has just happened to us, put a deposit on a car just before lockdown everything agreed in writing, we have the paperwork, px is over what it should be ( I think anyway) , garage phoned a couple of weeks ago to arrange safe collection, chap said that they will honour the deal, they phoned today saying the salesman had made a mistake ( despite it being checked and signed off by two other people, one of which was the sales manager!) it turns out they didn’t include the finance payment still owing, and they are paying it off..they sai£ they will take the hit, but I’m picking it up on Saturday so there’s still time for them to come up with some way out of it,

Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - galileo

This is very annoying and I suspect they do want to undo the deal but we don’t know for sure or at what cost to you. Why not hear them out so you know what you are dealing with.

If it’s then not acceptable to you then , as others have said, get your deposit back and walk.

If this is their attitude to a signed deal, what would they be like if you had a problem you expected them to fix under warranty?

Get the deposit back and run away.

Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - Trilogy.

I know this isn't car related but I'm wondering where SLO76 is? I seem to remember he mentioned he'd been unwell. I don't remember him recently contributing to the forum, unless I've missed his posts.

Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - Avant

Most recent post was on Sunday. I'm sure he's still around.

Dealership called to say the deal stands ??
Car dealership not honouring prelock down deal - alan1302
Dealership called to say the deal stands ??

They did or they didn't??