automatic cars and pedal confusion - inanimate

Reading about the terrible case of the the 2 poor ladies knocked down and killed

by an 87 year old motorist who floored the accelerator instead of the brake while driving in reverse.. This is not an uncommon problem with drivers who only use the right foot to brake and accelerate,how to prevent these tragedies happening. Surely it must be possible to retro fit a limiter on these autos that works as soon as the car is put in reverse set to say 5 mph,of course at 5mph damage can be done but no were near as much as a car careering back at15 to 20 mph.it seems on the face of it quite a simple fix and a lot of accident could be averted i can not see a great problem as most cars fitted with cruise control also have a speed limiter .

automatic cars and pedal confusion - craig-pd130

Can of worms status: open.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Leif

Can of worms status: open.

Tin helmet on head: check

automatic cars and pedal confusion - KB.

This is likely to (albeit unintentionally) resurrect the same old debate about left foot braking again.

It happens to be my view that if the 87 year driver in question - or indeed, any 87 year old driver - can't be trusted to handle the car in reverse at speeds over, say, 5mph ... then the same probably applies equally when going forwards.

And I'm not saying I'm perfect but, having driven manuals and autos all my motoring life, I don't subscribe to the idea that autos are more prone to disaster than manuals - it's probably more likely that older drivers move to an auto coz they can't manage the manual any more and it's their age and/or lack of skill rather than their transmission that causes the problem

automatic cars and pedal confusion - gordonbennet

It's hardly a good idea to change over to an auto after possibly 50 years driving solely manuals, its not just that you are used to driving manual anyway but at advanced age learning new tricks isn't so easy.

This problem exacerbated by the move away from torque converter (even if they're CVT with a torque converter) autos, and so many people have been convinced that these new single or dual clutch autos are the bees knees because they save you about a cupful of fuel a week at typical pensioners mileage over a real auto box.

Proper autos with torque converters have the benefit of infinitely variable application of power, where the other sort are rather faster to engage and hopeless for maneuvering at the best of times, so IMHO those transitioning to autos would be better advised buying a decent auto and avoiding automated manuals like the plague.

As for LFB, again after a lifetime of using your left foot for clutch control its asking a lot to relearn your natural foot controls.

I do have a suggestion for older drivers, and that is to get a reversing bleeper installed, which would help warn pedestrians that the car they are close to has engaged reverse gear, also keeping away from these port hole rear and rear side window designs with dreadful all round visibility would help.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Terry W

Right foot go and stop in an automatic is intuitive to a previously manual gearbox user.

Left foot braking relies upon retraining both normal foot positioning and pressure sensitivity to use it on a brake pedal - not that easy after 50 years!

The issue may be that if reversing up a slight incline you may need a bit of gas. In a manual you use a clutch to moderate the effects of a bit of right foot pressure. In an auto you just go backwards fast.

So strictly speaking it is the lack of a clutch which may have contributed to excessive speed backwards, not the lack of left foot braking!

automatic cars and pedal confusion - badbusdriver

The issue may be that if reversing up a slight incline you may need a bit of gas. In a manual you use a clutch to moderate the effects of a bit of right foot pressure. In an auto you just go backwards fast.

In an automated manual, maybe, but this absolutely doesn't happen with a T/C or CVT auto unless you have applied far too much throttle.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Bolt

also keeping away from these port hole rear and rear side window designs with dreadful all round visibility would help.

Actually GB imo even young drivers have difficulty in seeing out the rear of a lot of motors, and often have close shaves with either people or motors they dont see.

there is also the fact some do not even look as they reverse which age has nothing to do with as they just put the foot down and go- hoping no one is in the way-

we have a young woman down my road that gets in her 4x4 and rapidly reverses out of her drive with 2 children in the back seat, she never looks and last time she just missed me she said I shouldn't have been there, that appears to be the attitude of certain drivers now!...yet she still does it?

automatic cars and pedal confusion - jc2

I was nearly flattened recently by a large 4WD reversing in a supermarket car park-on remonstrating with the driver,she said "No warning came up on the dash!" I pointed out that I was made of flesh NOT metal!

I was nearly flattened recently by a large 4WD reversing in a supermarket car park-on remonstrating with the driver,she said "No warning came up on the dash!" I pointed out that I was made of flesh NOT metal!

People are in too much of a hurry now to care or notice, until they hit someone or something, then its your fault not theirs!

automatic cars and pedal confusion - corax

Oh dear, what sort of world do we live in now where people have to rely on a camera or buzzer to tell them what to do next.

Computer says no.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Engineer Andy

Oh dear, what sort of world do we live in now where people have to rely on a camera or buzzer to tell them what to do next.

Computer says no.

Indeed - I think that many people these days have had both a common sense and personal responsibility bypass - it's never their fault!

we have a young woman down my road that gets in her 4x4 and rapidly reverses out of her drive with 2 children in the back seat, she never looks and last time she just missed me she said I shouldn't have been there, that appears to be the attitude of certain drivers now!...yet she still does it?

Unfortunately young women are some of the worse offenders, they fly around housing estates and town streets much too quickly often with their own children on board seemingly oblivious to the dangers they present to everyone else, bad and aggressive attitudes too, any speed cushions ignored, then blame the car when the springs break.

It's the compulsory in car safety systems now i am sure at partly to blame, they have no concept of just how fast they are travelling because even the most violent maneuvers don't result in child passengers being thrown all over the inside of the car, nor unless it's icy is it possible to provoke skids until physics outpace the vehicle's stability controls...if only they'd started off with a Ford Anglia or Hillman MInx on cross plies eh!

What i can't fathom is why so many people insist on driving forwards into their driveways or parking places, meaning when they leave it's a blind reverse out often enough with rear windows such as they are these days covered in condensation (or frost) most people can't be bothered to clear before driving off.

Many works car parks at places where H&S is taken seriously are compulsory reverse into spaces, it's not H&s gone mad it's plain common sense.

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/01/2020 at 10:49

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Dag Hammar

gordonbennet, I completely agree with your last line regarding reversing into parking spaces. It makes so much sense to do so. For one reason, in colder weather when you arrive to park up the car is warm and de-misted and hence visibility is better. Secondly the engine is warmed up too and makes low speed manoeuvring so much easier.
I expect there’s a counter argument from some but as far as I’m concerned I enjoy going back to my parked car, starting the engine and easily drive away in a simple forward motion.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Bromptonaut

I reverse into my drive. It's an S shape manoeuvre and the main swing of front of car around an axis behind, first in one direction then the other, takes place wholly in road and not in restricted driveway. The stuff above about condensation/frost and cold engine also applies of course and the road is congested for parking because families have adult offspring with cars still living at home. Don't get me wrong, the households concerned are very considerate with, in one house, two cars blocked in by a third and arranged in order they all leave for work. Only the fourth is on the road.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Andrew-T

I completely agree with your last line regarding reversing into parking spaces. It makes so much sense to do so.

That is my normal inclination too. When parking at home (outdoors or in the garage) I always turn the car first, on the basis that one is more likely to be in a hurry leaving than when arriving.

However on the rare occasions when SWMBO and I go to the supermarket I am instructed not to reverse in, because the trolley has to be emptied into the boot of the car. Our new Aldi has a walkway between the rows of cars, which makes that unnecessary, but that is unusual I think.

I completely agree with your last line regarding reversing into parking spaces. It makes so much sense to do so.

That is my normal inclination too. When parking at home (outdoors or in the garage) I always turn the car first, on the basis that one is more likely to be in a hurry leaving than when arriving.

However on the rare occasions when SWMBO and I go to the supermarket I am instructed not to reverse in, because the trolley has to be emptied into the boot of the car. Our new Aldi has a walkway between the rows of cars, which makes that unnecessary, but that is unusual I think.

As regards reversing into space, I think it really depends upon the situation. My flat has an 'allocated space' amongst others (including designated visitor bays) on the development, but some spaces, like mine, are positioned poorly that backing into the space, especially at night, is tricky to say the least.

Some visitors using the space next to mine have been known to take 4 or 5 goes to back in, some have knocked over the 'visitor space' sign (which is a good foot behind the kerb), and many are way too close to one car to the side. Yes, they may be able to drive away easily, but backing out is not that hard (admitedly one idiot took out the corner of a car next theirs [luckily not mine] because they didin't look when turning when backing out). This would be a different story in a more public car park with cars facing them and people (especially children and the elderly) walking about all over the place.

Oh to use the US-style 'herring-bone' car park layouts! This would reduce the problems significantly. Home driveways, especially steeply sloped ones is another issue altogether as regards automatic cars - it's also not just people driving them that is the danger - remember that Star Trek actor who was killed by his own car because it dropped out of either N or P into reverse when he was at the boot and crushed him to death.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - pyruse

When you need to get into the rear of the car it make sense to go in front first; so that's most of the time when going shopping. This actually applies at home to me as well. If I reverse in I'm either under the car port (no room to open hatchback) or against a large bush (ditto) so it makes sense to go in front first whichever spot I am parking in. But we live on a quiet street, so reversing out is not a problem.

Regarding automatics, pedal confusion is no more likely than in a manual, and left foot braking is just confusing and likely to result in you doing an emergency stop if you left foot is used to pushing down a clutch. The big difference is that if you stamp on the throttle rather than the brake in a manual car you will most likely stall. In an auto you will not. But I don't think the problem in these cases is the car; in every case I've read about the driver has been elderly.

That's about my line on the issue as well. I tried left foot braking when testing a new (auto) car a few years ago and found I was 'stabbing' at the brakes. For safety reasons, I tested this aspect in my work car park on a Saturday when no-one else was around.

Reversing into a driveway from a busier road can be quite tricky and can easily incur the wrath of other drivers who want you out of their way in a huryy and won't normally realise what you're doing when swinging out to back up the drive, coming up too close so you can't get in.

It's the compulsory in car safety systems now i am sure at partly to blame

I dont think it is, most non mechanically minded people that drive have no idea what safety gadgets they have on board, or what they actually do-OR- really care.

like my sil, she just gets in, and as long as it starts and drives she dont even look at the speedo, all the time it drives and gets her from A to B she doesn't really care what safety systems are on the car, or even what the levels are like, its just driven simple as that to her...

if anything does go wrong she pleads ignorance that she cannot check levels ie doesn't really want to

I dont think it is, most non mechanically minded people that drive have no idea what safety gadgets they have on board, or what they actually do-OR- really care.

Sorry Bolt, i didn't explain well enough, as usual.

What i mean is when you drove old bangers around too quickly, not only was a skid ridiculously easy to provoke, whether braking or cornering in anything other than dry conditions, but those old plastic seats were horrid and slippery, people and objects could be thrown all over the shop, so you soon learned a healthy respect for making smooth progress and we all found out quickly just how little real grip there was under the tyres.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Senexdriver

What - if anything - does she do about servicing? Presumably nothing!

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Heidfirst

www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/using-the-road-reversing.h...l

"When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can."

automatic cars and pedal confusion - barney100

We've been through the L foot braking so often it's getting boring. I've been driving driving autos for many years and I find L foot braking downright dangerous. However I'm R side dominant and some people are ambidextrous so L foot may be fine for them. The bottom line is let people who drive autos do it their natural way. Like years ago when left handers were made to do things R handed....it just plain dosen't work. Lets have a poll amongst auto drivers....who L foot brakes? not me.

Lets have a poll amongst auto drivers....who L foot brakes? not me.

Nor me in normal driving including maneuvers, but i have used the technique on extreme inclines with mm to spare in my previous work.

I would be nothing short of a menace out on the road if i tried, and as its impossible to do so in a lorry due to the steering column it would be doubly silly to try.

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/01/2020 at 14:30

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Brit_in_Germany

This thread isn't about left foot braking though - its about having a system built in to prevent high speed reversing.

This thread isn't about left foot braking though - its about having a system built in to prevent high speed reversing.

Carry on putting safety systems in a motor and we wont be driving anymore, so common sense should be used, but accidents happen even with SS involved, so unless we want fully autonomous vehicles then those that are not able to control vehicles properly should be taken off the road

but its not that simple is it

This may seem a good idea for some, maybe even most, but having reverse gear limited to 5mph would cause folk that live and/or work in rural areas plenty of angst. If you often travel on single track roads, like myself, coming upon someone who has just passes a passing place, but is obviously hopeless at reversing, means that to save time i reverse back 100 metres, sometimes more, to 'my' last passing place. If i had to do this at 5mph, it would be very annoying!.

As an aside, one of my Dad's old cars was an (almost) forgotten Dutch oddity, a DAF 55 (yes, the same company that makes trucks). This had an early CVT transmission and could, in theory, go as fast backwards as it could forwards. In the case of my Dad's one (55 was approximately the horsepower from the 1.1 Renault engine) would mean 80(ish)mph...............!

automatic cars and pedal confusion - galileo

As an aside, one of my Dad's old cars was an (almost) forgotten Dutch oddity, a DAF 55 (yes, the same company that makes trucks). This had an early CVT transmission and could, in theory, go as fast backwards as it could forwards. In the case of my Dad's one (55 was approximately the horsepower from the 1.1 Renault engine) would mean 80(ish)mph...............!

I had two Daf 55s and confirm they would reverse as fast as they'd go forward. A lad I knew slightly tried reverse top speed in his on a private road and ended in the ditch at 50+ mph.

It's surprising just how fast some TC autos can reverse too, my own Mk3 Zodiac ended its life on the banger track, it had lost all forward drive after several meetings so i reversed it on its last race, where for a couple of circuits it could keep up with most.

Best of all though was around 1984 in the days of the convoys of Transits full of coppers sent to maintain peace (or beat the opposition, depending on your point of view) during the miner's strike, i was travelling at around a steady 60/65mph up around Yorkshire on one the motorways and realised that a police Granada on the other carriageway hard shoulder was pacing me, if not actually overtaking me whilst reversing, impressive to maintain that control with a rear steer vehicle but those square Granadas were exceptionally stable on the road...my own square Granada of the time was a 2.5 NA Diesel which would take probably 45 seconds to reach 60 going forwards :-)

I had two Daf 55s and confirm they would reverse as fast as they'd go forward. A lad I knew slightly tried reverse top speed in his on a private road and ended in the ditch at 50+ mph.

You are probably aware then of the Dutch reverse racing scene, which became dominated by the little Daf's (which had a very unfair advantage!). Here is a little taster,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLgPTJWAysY

automatic cars and pedal confusion - argybargy

Far less tragic results, but this thread reminds me of the last time my wife sat behind the wheel of a car, in our late, unlamented Meriva 1.6 Easytronic.

She'd avoided taking the wheel for several months, having done little but complain about me not buying a manual so she could drive it. So I said come out, give it a try. First set of red lights we got to she hit the brake thinking she was dipping the clutch and nearly sent me through the windscreen. After a bit of shouting and finger wagging on both our parts, it was decided that she wouldn't drive that car again. That was in 2008 and she hasn't taken the wheel since, though I keep her on the insurance just in case, and because it probably lowers the premium a bit.

I love autos and will probably buy another one soon, but I can well understand how easily someone who has driven nothing but a manual for years and who switches to an auto without a bit of practice could have a near miss, or something worse.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - FP

"You are probably aware then of the Dutch reverse racing scene, which became dominated by the little Daf's (which had a very unfair advantage!). Here is a little taster,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLgPTJWAysY"

Daftest, funniest thing I've seen.

Edited by FP on 11/01/2020 at 14:31

automatic cars and pedal confusion - corax

those square Granadas were exceptionally stable on the road...my own square Granada of the time was a 2.5 NA Diesel which would take probably 45 seconds to reach 60 going forwards :-)

I had one, an '84 2.8 auto. Apart from the frightening thirst, I can't think of anything I didn't like about it. A motorised sofa, exceptionally easy to drive. OK they didn't handle but the ride quality was something else.

I can't see what the problem is changing from manual to auto. I only once did the brake thing with the insensitive clutch foot standing the car on it's nose, but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

I look at motorbikes and think that I would have a problem trying to jostle with feet/hands controlling gears/clutch/throttle/rear brake/front brake but I guess that's the amazing thing about the brain, it adapts more quickly than you think.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Alby Back
I still can't get my head around what all fuss is about, or why the dogma from either side. I use either foot to brake in an auto, seems pretty obvious to me that's why the brake pedal is wider in an auto, so it can be easily accessed by either foot.

If I'm doing any close parking or whatever, I'll use my left foot on the brake but if I'm just bowling along I'll use my right foot just as I would in a manual.

Can't understand what's supposed to be difficult about either technique to be honest. It's just about operating a machine with relatively simple and standardised controls after all.

Can't understand what's supposed to be difficult about either technique to be honest. It's just about operating a machine with relatively simple and standardised controls after all.

Suppose the difference is you drive thousands of miles a week, and have done so for years, and driving obviously comes naturally to you, arguably you are a professional driver and take it all as it comes.

The people being discussed here are not only generally lower mileage drivers, but are in their dotage too, driving probably doesn't come naturally to them and that goes for thousands of drivers of all ages who we witness every day of the week, don't suppose i'll be getting any better behind the wheel when i'm in me 80's either, not as us of the pleb class will be allowed to drive in our 80's by the time i get there.

I use either foot to brake in an auto, seems pretty obvious to me that's why the brake pedal is wider in an auto, so it can be easily accessed by either foot.

Well i guess that depends on your point of view. To me, it seems obvious that the reason the brake pedal is narrower in a manual car is because there needs to be room for the clutch pedal.

I am 48 and been driving for just over 30 years now. Passed my test on a manual, but started having to drive auto's through my work at the age of 18. I have never had any issues switching between manual and auto, but i guess that may be because i started driving auto's at a fairly young age. But having said that, i persuaded an elderly (late 60's) female customer of mine to try going auto. As far as i know, she has had no issues changing from manual to auto, and she now finds driving much more enjoyable as a result. My mother in law also went auto late (mid 60's), just last year when she took the plunge and bought a Hyundai i10 auto. Again, as far as i know, she has had no issues changing from maual to auto and again, she now finds driving more enjoyable.

Left foot braking is something i have never considered because i have never come to a point in my life where i only ever drove auto. If that were to happen, i might try it to see how i got on. But while i am still driving manual more than 50% of the time, i don't think it would be wise to try and learn myself to left foot brake when driving the car!.

But that is just me, and we are all different!

Edited by badbusdriver on 11/01/2020 at 11:33

<< The people being discussed here are not only generally lower mileage drivers, but are in their dotage too, driving probably doesn't come naturally to them and that goes for thousands of drivers of all ages who we witness every day of the week, >>

I find that suggestion rather too dismissive. I am a recently qualified octogenarian, but I don't think I have reached the dotage stage yet. Driving has 'come naturally' for almost 60 years. The problem for some may be that driving conditions - and the vehicles - have changed radically since those basic habits were learnt, and we all know how hard it can be to teach old dogs ....

Another thing which has changed is makers' approach, from designing vehicles fit for purpose, to fashion articles out from which it has became so hard to see that multiple cameras are needed to fill the gap. I could go on ...

Another thing which has changed is makers' approach, from designing vehicles fit for purpose, to fashion articles out from which it has became so hard to see that multiple cameras are needed to fill the gap. I could go on ...

Andrew you're hardly the type pf person to change over to an auto and mow down pedestrians like skittles, because yes driving does come naturally to you as it does to Alby, for many others it doesn't, and it doesn't help sometimes with the types of car people buy themselves, yes umpteen NCAP stars are worth having but if there's so much fashionable bodywork and so little visibility that it makes an accident more likely what's the point.

Though i could not agree more with you about the types of cars being sold these days, seldom thankfully do i drive any of the latest models any more, if i do they tend to be company Focus, which is a prime example of what is now a large car with no room inside, with massive blind spots and typically useless door mirrors that appear to be primarily fashion accessories, and i do not get the hype about how wonderful they are, you couldn't pay me enough.

You only have to go back a few years and remember all those smashing little squarish cars, with huge windows and fairly narrow pillars, they were a joy to park, and not an automated manual courtesy of satan to be found.

As for dotage i'm still yet to retire but feeling dotage heading my way rather too rapidly already :-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/01/2020 at 16:07

<< a prime example of what is now a large car with no room inside, with massive blind spots and typically useless door mirrors that appear to be primarily fashion accessories, >>

Actually I think today's (or at least last decade's) door mirrors are pretty good. I can just remember the days when cars began to get mirrors at the top of the offside wing, just over the headlamp. They were too far away to offer much of a view. Many cars had only a modest interior mirror.

With mirrors on both doors, closer to the driver's eye, reverse parking into marked spaces is fairly easy (tho probably a long way from that achieved by drivers of artics). To join our main street it is necessary to emerge from a slip-entry on the 'wrong side', often with a largish vehicle blocking the view of approaching traffic, while also trying to see traffic climbing the hill on the other side. By turning the nearside mirror outwards the latter problem can be largely alleviated.

If I'm doing any close parking or whatever, I'll use my left foot on the brake but if I'm just bowling along I'll use my right foot just as I would in a manual. Can't understand what's supposed to be difficult about either technique to be honest. It's just about operating a machine with relatively simple and standardised controls after all.

Only drive an auto if I have to. Last one was a hire car in US but occasionally drove parents autos from late seventies until Mum gave up driving c2008. Same approach as above. Occasional use of left foot perhaps in close quarter/slow moves and circs where I'd finesse with clutch in a manual. Under way left foot gets stowed and just use right.

That's normal and what is generally recommended. Issue I think is where a few dogmatically assert that it's BETTER to use left foot all time in an auto. I regard that as arrant nonsense; none of us trained our left foot for the required sensitivity - as I proved when accidentally LFB on Houston Airport car park after picking up hire car and testing Mrs B's seat belt!!

automatic cars and pedal confusion - primus 1

I thought HJ advocates left foot braking at low speeds only, when parking ect..

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Avant

"But that is just me, and we are all different!"

You are so right, BBD, and that has got to be the point. A prime example of that is the enduring popularity of manual transmissions, which isn't just down to the price difference, a small fraction of the total price of a car. SWMBO has never liked automatics, and personally I'm glad that we have one of each.

Because we're all different, we should be able to disagree about issues like LFB, as Alby says, without fuss. I can absolutely see the logic of LFB if, unlike me, you only drive automatics: but for me personally (and I mean personally) even with an auto it would take me longer to move my left foot from the footrest to the brake than it does my right foot from the accelerator. To get the benefit of LFB I'd need to drive with my left foot poised near the brake (as one well might in a parking manoeuvre)....but that's just me.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Theophilus

... but for me personally (and I mean personally) even with an auto it would take me longer to move my left foot from the footrest to the brake than it does my right foot from the accelerator. To get the benefit of LFB I'd need to drive with my left foot poised near the brake (as one well might in a parking manoeuvre)....but that's just me.

100% agree Avant, and the assertion that LFB "eliminates thinking distance" is clearly nonsense, not only because of the response being faster moving foot from accelerator to brake pedal, but because "thinking distance" is a measure of the distance travelled between observing an obstacle and making the decision to react by stamping on the brake, irrespective of which pedals are in use.

... but for me personally (and I mean personally) even with an auto it would take me longer to move my left foot from the footrest to the brake than it does my right foot from the accelerator. To get the benefit of LFB I'd need to drive with my left foot poised near the brake (as one well might in a parking manoeuvre)....but that's just me.

100% agree Avant, and the assertion that LFB "eliminates thinking distance" is clearly nonsense, not only because of the response being faster moving foot from accelerator to brake pedal, but because "thinking distance" is a measure of the distance travelled between observing an obstacle and making the decision to react by stamping on the brake, irrespective of which pedals are in use.

iirc, brake assist does away with thinking time, in that when your foot is removed from accelerator and hits the brake pedal, the time taken is measured by computer and the pressure on the foot pedal is amplified giving faster braking with more brake pressure applied

so it wont matter what foot it is!

Though have to admit I used LFB in a garage to park Autos but they never had Brake assist then....

iirc, brake assist does away with thinking time, in that when your foot is removed from accelerator and hits the brake pedal, the time taken is measured by computer and the pressure on the foot pedal is amplified giving faster braking with more brake pressure applied

so it wont matter what foot it is!

I think that you don't fully understand the concept of thinking time . It is the period before actual braking input ( that time to perceive, recognise & react).

Brake assist doesn't do away with thinking time but should reduce the braking distance.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_brake_assist

My current car has Brake Assist as part of it's Pre-Collision System (if I don't brake at all PCS should). Thankfully not been called upon yet. ;)

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Theophilus

I think that you don't fully understand the concept of thinking time . It is the period before actual braking input ( that time to perceive, recognise & react).

My point - but it seems that bolt isn't the only one who has an alternative concept of thinking time

My point - but it seems that bolt isn't the only one who has an alternative concept of thinking time

I only mentioned what a computer would be doing and does, that thinking time could be the difference between life and death, which as far as braking goes, the computer reaction to what you dont do is faster and more effective, whether people like it or not it works and quicker than anyone can do

I understand people dont like change, though, it isn't taking anything away from the driver just adding to the drivers ability

I only mentioned what a computer would be doing and does, that thinking time could be the difference between life and death, which as far as braking goes, the computer reaction to what you dont do is faster and more effective, whether people like it or not it works and quicker than anyone can do

My recently acquired Fabia has forward looking 'radar' that will sound an alarm then brake to avoid what it's logic thinks is an imminent collision.

A week or two before Christmas cars in front of me slowed while my 'scan' was looking further up road. Not really an issue, a slight panic and firmer than usual braking and I'd have caught it and still stopped a car length short. The downside of keeping a scan and looking well ahead is that you might be slightly slower catching something close by.

The auto brake was on the case before me - full application up to ABS.

There's no way a collision was actually going to happen but obviously the logic doesn't know that. It's beeped at me on several other occasions, including on the test drive. TBH I don't like it but I'm equally wary of turning it off as the law of sodde says I'll then rear end somebody!!

Edited by Bromptonaut on 12/01/2020 at 09:39

My recently acquired Fabia has forward looking 'radar' that will sound an alarm then brake to avoid what it's logic thinks is an imminent collision.

A week or two before Christmas cars in front of me slowed while my 'scan' was looking further up road. Not really an issue, a slight panic and firmer than usual braking and I'd have caught it and still stopped a car length short. The downside of keeping a scan and looking well ahead is that you might be slightly slower catching something close by.

The auto brake was on the case before me - full application up to ABS.

There's no way a collision was actually going to happen but obviously the logic doesn't know that. It's beeped at me on several other occasions, including on the test drive. TBH I don't like it but I'm equally wary of turning it off as the law of sodde says I'll then rear end somebody!!

I think it may depend on system used but, afaia, the scans are around 1000 times a second, so distance wont matter, the system knows whats happening and will ready brakes.

if you try to brake fast ie its the ABS that does the work and moves the pads closer to the discs, without touching, so when you hit the pedal the pads are in contact with disc straight away and with most systems its impossible for you to hit another motor but not the other way round

if the same system was on older cars front and rear, it would be impossible to hit anyone or anything, the Civic will brake for deep grass if its in front of parking sensor and going too fast which in fields where boot fairs sometimes are, the bleeper is always going off, and for pedestrians

if you try to brake fast ie its the ABS that does the work and moves the pads closer to the discs, without touching, so when you hit the pedal the pads are in contact with disc straight away and with most systems its impossible for you to hit another motor but not the other way round

This isn't how ABS works either ... 8-|

I understand people dont like change, though, it isn't taking anything away from the driver just adding to the drivers ability

Brake assist will not eliminate thinking time (a full pre-collision system may be faster to react & initiate braking than you are if you are daydreaming etc.).

Brake assist should only kick in if the system reckons that you are not braking hard enough i.e. you have already reacted so thinking time is already in the past.

Brake assist will not eliminate thinking time (a full pre-collision system may be faster to react & initiate braking than you are if you are daydreaming etc.).

Brake assist should only kick in if the system reckons that you are not braking hard enough i.e. you have already reacted so thinking time is already in the past.

That would tally with my experience. The Skoda I reference above clearly has a collision avoidance system. Our other car, a Berlingo, only has brake assist. I've triggered that once in a distracted moment; full on ABS limited brake and the hazards come on too.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - John Boy

Must stick up for us oldies! The only pedal confusion accident I've been anywhere near (car through a shop window) was caused by a young man who was well under forty years old.

My current car has Brake Assist as part of it's Pre-Collision System (if I don't brake at all PCS should). Thankfully not been called upon yet. ;)

It works without you knowing it, as I said it times the reaction time between throttle off point and when the brake pedal is pressed, and you do know when it works because the brakes come on much heavier the faster you hit the brake pedal

so as for not been called upon yet, it has, but you've never noticed, called brake assist not anti collision though its part of the system

Bolt, you seem to have a lot of faith in AEBS, having covered about 200k miles with these systems in my two most recent lorries, can't say i've found them to be anything but a pita, as have departure warnings, and the same opinion goes for most of my more experienced colleagues too, on my present vehicle AEBS cannot be turned off at all by the driver, which will be interesting if we get heavy snow.

Thankfully i get on very well with the lads at the service agent (maker's dealer) and they have reset the system so its not quite as keen to cut power or apply the brakes as it was previously.

Bolt, you seem to have a lot of faith in AEBS, having covered about 200k miles with these systems in my two most recent lorries, can't say i've found them to be anything but a pita, as have departure warnings, and the same opinion goes for most of my more experienced colleagues too, on my present vehicle AEBS cannot be turned off at all by the driver, which will be interesting if we get heavy snow.

Thankfully i get on very well with the lads at the service agent (maker's dealer) and they have reset the system so its not quite as keen to cut power or apply the brakes as it was previously.

Please correct if wrong, but are you thinking of automatic braking which is connected to anti collision system

the anti collision system relies on forward and around cameras including lidar/radar that prevents collisions through the use of these devices

auto brake assist does not use these, the ecu measures the time it takes you to move your foot from the accelerator to touching the brake pedal, if this is timed as normal operation the brakes operate as standard

if the ECU detects faster time between the foot moving from acc pedal to brake, it gives harder braking instead of you pressing harder on the pedal

I think as you say I am confident in the way it works, but dont dwell on it while driving, if it works it works but I am prepared in case it doesn't as nothing is failsafe, I dont care what anyone says

I understand why people dont like it as well

It works without you knowing it, as I said it times the reaction time between throttle off point and when the brake pedal is pressed, and you do know when it works because the brakes come on much heavier the faster you hit the brake pedal

No, that isn't how it works & my car would indicate to me if it had been called on (plus if it was necessary PCS should have cut in). I would also have noticed, as you mentioned, the braking being heavier than I had intended.

Perhaps, just perhaps, I am a decent driver who keeps a good level of observation & anticipates & reacts accordingly? Best thing that I ever did in my over 1,000,000 miles of driving was do (& pass) an HGV course which had a significant effect on my observation & anticipation.

Edited by Heidfirst on 12/01/2020 at 22:37

No, that isn't how it works & my car would indicate to me if it had been called on

what had been called upon brake assist or anti collision?

How does it work as usually different makers give different names that mean the same thing?

Perhaps, just perhaps, I am a decent driver

I dont recall saying any different, and your not the only one, but were not perfect which is why these systems are there to assist

I presume that's why HJ (at least i believe he did) originally said LFB was only for slow speed manouvring, so your left foot hovered over the brake pedal. For me, doing that for all other driving would be terribly uncomfortable, which is why any car I'd buy MUST have a foot rest for my left foot. I agree that moving it the distance from the foot rest to the brake pedal is greater than from the accelerator to the brake.

I think, as many others have said, the problem with such accidents lies with someone who, perhaps as a result of old age (though certainly not at a specific age or for everyone) and/or infirmity, confusion and a lack of co-ordination is the cause.

I think, as many others have said, the problem with such accidents lies with someone who, perhaps as a result of old age (though certainly not at a specific age or for everyone) and/or infirmity, confusion and a lack of co-ordination is the cause.

reverse auto collision system would be handy for that, as I think some cars already have, maybe not too long before its standard, wouldn't need to think about LFB then

That's the interesting thing, you are fine using either foot to brake, I am unable to get any feel or finesse with the left foot but naturally use the right. This has one small benefit as the r foot moving to to the brake from the accelerator removes any power going to the engine. Other fields have the same natural anomalies, watch an organist using both hands and feet at the same time and you can bet that they have individual ways of doing it for the same results.

That's the interesting thing, you are fine using either foot to brake, I am unable to get any feel or finesse with the left foot but naturally use the right. This has one small benefit as the r foot moving to to the brake from the accelerator removes any power going to the engine. Other fields have the same natural anomalies, watch an organist using both hands and feet at the same time and you can bet that they have individual ways of doing it for the same results.

One thing I am not certain of is if anyone using LFB uses it on a motor with brake assist as it either confuses the ecu or works as standard, I can only assume it works as standard as preprogramed?

"....watch an organist using both hands and feet at the same time and you can bet that they have individual ways of doing it for the same results."

Interesting thought. I use both feet when playing the organ; I also use both feet if I drive SWMBO's manual car....but only my right foot if I drive mine (DSG).

As I've said before, I see the point of LFB, particularly during manoeuvres when your left foot can be poised over the brake pedal: but because we have one of each I'm not going to try different techniques in different cars. Driving has to be instinctive, particularly for me after 55 years of right-foot braking!

automatic cars and pedal confusion - KB.

"....watch an organist using both hands and feet at the same time and you can bet that they have individual ways of doing it for the same results."

Interesting thought. I use both feet when playing the organ; I also use both feet if I drive SWMBO's manual car....but only my right foot if I drive mine (DSG).

Avant, rest assured I remain in awe (and with no small measure of envy chucked in for good measure) of your ability to play the organ.

Our weekly attendance at Buckfast Abbey provides (apart from the more conventionally anticipated benefits) a display of a man (it's almost invariably a man) in total and spectacular command of a truly breathtaking instrument that never, ever, fails to leave us genuinely taken aback ath the skill required to play it.

Organists must have brains different from the rest of us, coordinating two hands playing independent parts on piano is amazing never mind the feet getting another part. What sort of drivers do organists make I wonder.

from what I understand (& after some research) only some systems measure speed/time of accelerator lift off & pressing brake - most just measure the speed at which the brake pedal is depressed.

For those which do measure speed/time of accelerator lift off how that interacts with LFB is an interesting question.

For those which do measure speed/time of accelerator lift off how that interacts with LFB is an interesting question.

Maybe you haven't read the posts, talk was of speed of moving left foot on an auto from rest point to brake pedal, which as some mentioned may be slower than moving the right foot to brake pedal.

Unless of course I got that wrong as usual.....

automatic cars and pedal confusion - madf

My argument with the entire LFB concept is :

you still have the time delay from human reaction to moving left foot off floor to pedal to pressing pedal..

HJ claims LFB allows instant pedal access.

It does not...

Period.

My argument with the entire LFB concept is :

you still have the time delay from human reaction to moving left foot off floor to pedal to pressing pedal..

HJ claims LFB allows instant pedal access.

It does not...

Period.

Yep I agree, even a computer is not instant, even if it is a fraction of a second delay its still not instant

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Senexdriver

Losing control of an auto car (or a manual car for that matter) whilst executing a manoeuvre is not a subject for levity, but I did witness something related last September which was amusing, mainly because nobody was hurt.

We were at the annual flower show at the RHS, Wisley. Everybody was circulating between the displays and enjoying the warm weather and beautiful floral arrangements. All of a sudden there was a hell of a crash and a clatter and when we all had the courage to stop cowering and look up from where we had each become frozen to the spot, we saw that an elderly lady had ploughed into one of the stands in her mobility scooter. She had sent the display of shrubs and plants in all directions and demolished the makeshift counter of seed boxes stacked one on top of another and covered in that artificial grass roll commonly used for display purposes. Her daughter was screeching “Mum, Mum, put it in reverse!” which the confused looking Mum duly did, sending the scooter out from the tangled mass of display grass and seed boxes straight into the display set at right angles to the one she had just destroyed. Another crash and clatter.

The stall holders set about trying to salvage what they could of their stock and rebuilding their display whilst the daughter made a token attempt to help out accompanied by profuse apologies. The lady stall holder gave the daughter a look that said “You’ve done enough already!” and with that she and her Mum moved swiftly away from the scene in a vain attempt at face saving.

The shock of what all happened very quickly turned to faint amusement once everybody realised that nobody had been hurt. A few visitors also helped the stall holders rebuild their display. I overheard somebody say that Mum had been lent the mobility scooter by the organisers and she was unfamiliar with the controls. The stall holders resumed their previous good humour once the dust had settled and they had managed to re-establish something akin to their original set-up.

"Organists must have brains different from the rest of us, coordinating two hands playing independent parts on piano is amazing never mind the feet getting another part. What sort of drivers do organists make I wonder."

You're too kind, Barney and KB. There are plenty of things that I can't do that others can. Probably because I have astigmatism, I'm useless at DIY and was never good at sports in my youth (no regrets - at 71 my hips and knees are fine). I have huge respect for people who can do things that I can't.

As to driving, I like to get a move on when playing hymns in church. Years ago, when we had the Espace, I drove six church council members to a deanery event. I watched them strapping themselves in tightly, clearly thinking 'does he drive as fast as he plays the organ?' Actually I don't.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - Penumbra

I'm in awe of drummers who manage to keep time doing different things with all 4 limbs whilst singing.

Best incident I've seen with a mobility scooter s (where no one was hurt obviously) was when we visited HMS Victory. First time on a scooter for FiL. Up the entry gang plank he went but came to a quick halt due to lack of power. "Give it more throttle" was the advice from onlookers. The poor man took off so quickly I'm sure he could have set the top sail and flown off into the harbour had not the cabin been in his way.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - knowwun

Ok Flack jacket on, Tin Helmet on, cock, load, fire.

The answer is simple, and its nowt to do with left foot breaking. At the age of 70 your license should be revoked, and only renewed annually on passing a medical and driving test. At your expense. I'm 65, and would fully accept that as a requirement for the privilege (yes its a privilege not a right) of driving into my dotage.

It might have the benefit of the public clamouring for better pubic transport, reduce the cars on the road, and aid the path to preventing climate change.

And dont trot out the "older drivers are safer" claptrap, its simply not the case.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - sammy1

And who is going to do all these medicals. the NHS cannot cope with its current workload.

And who is going to do all these medicals. the NHS cannot cope with its current workload.

There are few 70 year olds who are not at their GP at least once a year.

It might have the benefit of the public clamouring for better pubic transport, reduce the cars on the road, and aid the path to preventing climate change.

We may have Autonomous cars working properly by then, doubt it will reduce volume of cars on the road as EVs will be wanted by everyone

But, whether that will prevent Climate change getting worse is another matter?

We may have Autonomous cars working properly by then

By when tho, that is the question. Compulsory annual driving tests could easily be introduced by the end of 2020.

And does an autonomous car remove the need for a capable pilot? Plenty of Tesla accidents suggest not.

We may have Autonomous cars working properly by then

By when tho, that is the question. Compulsory annual driving tests could easily be introduced by the end of 2020.

And does an autonomous car remove the need for a capable pilot? Plenty of Tesla accidents suggest not.

Really down to when they get the software right, the hardware is being upgraded as its made and is better than the software at the moment.

too many different scenarios to write for IMO but doubt they will go away as too much has been invested in them, in certain places including London I heard they are already being trialled.

but yes, I do agree with the tests at 70 but whether it will happen is another matter, its been discussed a lot over the years...

You could but what about examiners? Barely enough to meet demand so the wait for tests is long enough as it is. And don't forget older folks vote.......

Same test as the youngsters or harder?

How do the actual stats for accidents etc pan out for older drivers. A lot of them limit themselves and give up driving more than they have to before 80.

I don't think you need to go as far as re-testing and if you did there are probably more deserving candidates than the over seventies. That doesn't mean it's all hunky dory and that current system is OK. Reading a number plate at whatever distance as an eye sight test isn't fit for purpose for anyone. I can pass that squinting yet yesterday I couldn't recognise a colleague across the office* while doing an errand I'd not put my glasses back on for.

Post 70, or maybe some other age, there needs to be a questionnaire and perhaps a Doctor and Opticians Certificate (though I see others point about resourcing GPs for this.)

* In my defence I wasn't expecting her to be there. She's usually at another office on Thursday. Was thinking is that really Sue or perhaps there's a new volunteer who's six foot (ish) and dark haired? It was her call of 'Simon why are you squinting' that sorted ID for me. Turned out we'd had a safeguarding issue requiring a breach of client confidentiality and she needed to see the CEO for a debrief.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 17/01/2020 at 14:34

One of the issues with retesting to today's standards is that most people over 45 would not have had to do the latest test with the written theory test, etc. I imagine those (especially who emigrated here decades ago and allowed to get a licence without a test using their foreign one) who learned to drive 50+ years ago might struggle to pass without some tuition and extra practice, not because they are bad drivers, but because today's test included things that were never tested before.

As regards accidents stats, I think (from memory) it was that if you take them by time (i.e. per year), older drivers are far safer than younger, inexperienced drivers by some margin. Unfortunately the gap narrows considerably when you make the comparison by annual mileage only. I'm not sure how accurate that is either as the type of accidents between each group likely varies quite a bit - though a rise in the last decade in incidents caused by OAPs getting confused and driving the wrong way down motorways etc might have upped the number of fatalities on their tally.

I personally think that some form of restrictions on what cars both younger inexperienced drivers and certain older, more frail drivers can drive may be in order, particularly when considering if they can properly control larger and/or powerful vehicles because of a lack of skill/experience and more reckless behaviour (young) or a loss of confidence, physical ability, co-ordination and reflexes (older drivers).

Some hard conversations sometimes need to be had to keep people safe, as some people can become defensive when confonted with bad driving habits, some of which obviously cannot be corrected.

Public transport is already full up. Imagine the uproar when 5 new HS2s cut a huge swathe through parts of the UK and cost £100Bn each. We need less demand now, and that's only going to come from making the old industrial and more run down areas viable again (so people don't move to the SE of England) and likely reduce net immigration to very low levels.

The other major problem with public transport is that it doesn't take you everywhere you want to go conveniently and at a reasonable price - obviously, as they are set routes and stops at particular times. No country can afford currently a peak hour service at off peak times like a taxi cab.

No, I think having a proper (very thorough) intitial health check and driving test (including in a similator to test awareness and reactions/co-ordination) at 70, with recommendations to follow up /keep an eye on certain driving-related health issues with manditory further checks planned and paid for by the driver should be done, but at periods determined by the doctor in accordance with the health of the driver (eyesight included - which could save money as no normal sight test would then be required). It might mean someone who is still fit and healthy and capable gets another 3 or even 5 years before their next assessment, unless something crops up in the meantime.

Perhaps some kind of insurance could be used to pay for this like health or life insurance to spread the cost over your life, payable as a lump sum upon either death or permanent disability before 70 as the policy wouldn't be used. Either that or very low premiums and the insurer gets the money in that case (choice of either type). Losing the ability or legal right to drive for an older person must still be a wrenching experience for many, as they can easily and quickly lose their independence and go downhill health wise thereafter. This has happened to a neighbour of mine, who went from driving to being house-bound in the space of just two years.

I think that safe, fully autonomous cars that can work in all areas and all conditions are at least a decade away, if not two - they currently seem to be designed to work in urban areas on nice wide streets or motorways, and certainly not winding rural roads or medieval towns with narrow streets and people etc all over the place in very busy areas.

The old addage of 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks' is, I think, quite apt. the younger you are and the more often you use both manual, auto cars and switch from one to two footed controls (right and left foot braking), the easier it is to learn, but it's probably a skill not everyone can learn or do so as they get older.

I must admit I found it difficult to do at all (mid 40s) and wasn't very good at left foot braking when I tried it in controlled conditions a couple of years or so ago. Maybe, with practice, I could get better, but not necessarily.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - hjd

Eye tests are free after 60 and would surely be better carried out by a professional optician rather than the GP.

No, I think having a proper (very thorough) intitial health check and driving test (including in a similator to test awareness and reactions/co-ordination) at 70, with recommendations to follow up /keep an eye on certain driving-related health issues with manditory further checks planned and paid for by the driver should be done, but at periods determined by the doctor in accordance with the health of the driver (eyesight included - which could save money as no normal sight test would then be required). It might mean someone who is still fit and healthy and capable gets another 3 or even 5 years before their next assessment, unless something crops up in the meantime.

What I meant was a specific deidcated service, separate from GPs that has an all-in-one health check, including opticians and doctors/nurses. No reason why they couldn't be the same people used for checking similar things for HGV drivers, people working dangerous jobs, pilots, etc.

If eye tests are free over 60, why is it that so many OAPs seem to fall through the cracks and are driving with seriously defective eyesight. If I recall correctly, a Backroomer knew of someone like that (it may have been some other health issue that severely affected their driving ability) but couldn't persuade them to give up driving, but the health professional/GP would not tell the DVLA/Police. Rather pointless unless a health check and passing it is manditory on all fronts.

If eye tests are free over 60, why is it that so many OAPs seem to fall through the cracks

Try persuading some to go in the first place, several people in there 80s were asked to go for eye tests in my family over the last few years, but they refused to go and made out their eyes were fine, as my Father did years ago, didn't matter what you said they wouldn't go?

To be fair most of the old school older generation don't spend half their time at the doctor, the make do and mend mindset tends to get on with life instead of assuming everything must be perfect.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - ExA35Owner

Back to the issue of pedal confusion.....

I occasionally drive a Sprinter with the steering column stalk as a gear selector. Push up for reverse, down for drive, in between is neutral. Logical and convenient. But far too easy when you stop to flick the stalk straight from Drive to Reverse as there's no significant detent in Neutral. Solution is always to move to Park (pushing the end of the stalk inwards), but I can see the possibility of accidents here.

automatic cars and pedal confusion - alan1302

To be fair most of the old school older generation don't spend half their time at the doctor, the make do and mend mindset tends to get on with life instead of assuming everything must be perfect.

So the stats that there are more older people (as would be expected) wanting appointments and treatment is not true?

automatic cars and pedal confusion - madf

So the stats that there are more older people (as would be expected) wanting appointments and treatment is not true?

I expect they are true..

I know it is only personal comments but I am 72. I never go to the doctor. Once every 10 years or so.. I know many fit OAPs who are similar.

BUT I also know many who go weekly due to chronic problems.. mainly of age.. with multiple pills taken for a range of ailments - and pills to counter the side effects of other pills..I know of one case with heart problems, eye problems, sight problems - all requiring freqent medical help.. She is lucky to have a month without at least one hospital visit. and soemtimes several.

You cannot generalise from statistics: some people are really very ill and only survive due to modern medicine. Twenty years ago they would be dead..

Edited by madf on 18/01/2020 at 11:35

That was true thirty or so years ago when older generation were folks who'd lived through military service and/or privations of war and before. Today's 75 year olds are baby boomers. There was a campaign message during the referendum where a picture of a crowded waiting room implied immigration was a huge drag on the NHS and cause of queues.

It was refuted by argument that the migrants were all on the hospital's staff and those blocking the queue were millennials Grannies :-)

automatic cars and pedal confusion - groaver

Good old Toyota are taking an active role in reducing the problem of this issue:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/02/curb-your-acceleration-aging-drivers-prompt-toyota-into-action/

Of course we could always just ban anyone over the age of 80 from driving.... :-"