Introductory No Claims Discount - Brian Coates

When I bought a second car about 8 months ago, I added it to the insurance policy of my existing car. The insurer kindly gave me 5 years 'Introductory NCD' on the second car, as i had built up many years NCD on the first car.

The renewal inviitation received the other day shows that I have 13 years NCD on the first car and 6 years NCD on the second car. It doesn't mention 'Introductory NCD' anywhere.

I now wish to insure the two cars separately with other insurers. Am I OK to declare 6 years NCD for the second car even though I have only owned it for 8 months?

Introductory No Claims Discount - Bromptonaut

This is an example of situation where it is essential to have a conversation with new insurers.

Introductory No Claims Discount - Andrew-T

I now wish to insure the two cars separately with other insurers. Am I OK to declare 6 years NCD for the second car even though I have only owned it for 8 months?

You will probably be asked to get confirmation of NCD from your present insurer, so it will be up to them what they confirm.

Introductory No Claims Discount - Graham567

Just because the original insurer gave you 5 years no claims doesn't mean that to other companies you have 5 years no claims.You only really have 1 year no claim.As the others have said,it's best to ask your new insurer.I wouldn't try to wing it with out asking as it might come back to bite you if you make a claim in the future.

Edited by Graham567 on 05/01/2020 at 14:29

Introductory No Claims Discount - Steveieb
Does anyone know a company that will mirror a full no claims discount earned on a van to use on a car.
My van insurance company say they are completely different and cannot offer any discount !
Introductory No Claims Discount - gordonbennet

When we bought the pick-up we were insured with NFU, no trouble for them with NCD from the car it replaced.

NFU arn't cheap but found them to be a superb insurer with helpful local offices, be worth trying them for one.

Introductory No Claims Discount - Engineer Andy

I had exactly the same issue when I bought my first car, a 90s Nissan Micra, from a main dealer back in 1998. It came with some nice 'freebies', including free RAC breakdown cover for a year, MOTs for life (but I had to use Nissan dealers and show my freebie card they gave me) and an introductory £350 insurance policy with the RAC, which was good even back then for a new driver (you did have to be over 20 though).

The problem for me was, like you, the policy had a 'free' 5 years no claims bonus and bonus protection thrown in, but that only mattered on year 2 if I stayed with them. All the other insurers said I would be treated as someone with only 1 year's no claims. This may have changed in 20 years, but I doubt it. It meant that all other premiums were WAY more expensive, meaning the RAC could afford to jack up the price for another three years becaue everyone else was still too expensive.

It was essentially the same wheeze that some equipment manufacturers play in the Construction Indutsry, epsecially controls systems firms who hook unsuspecting clients in with cheap equipment and installation costs, and then shaft them with huge maintenance and parts costs after the 1 year warranty runs out, keeping them shackled at a rip-off price for maybe 10 years or more.

In this case, it may depend on how old and experienced the OP is as a driver and how many claims they've made generally in the last 5 years.

Introductory No Claims Discount - Steveieb
No such luck with my insurer.
Can you let me know the name of your insurer who gave you the 5 years. NCD ?
No such luck with my insurer. Can you let me know the name of your insurer who gave you the 5 years. NCD ?

The insurer formerly known as Norwich Union.

UPDATE: Spoke to two potential new insurers today (Churchill and Chris Knott) and both are happy to accept the 6 years NCD shown on the renewal letter from the current insurer (Aviva) even though I have only owned the car for 7 months or so.

One of them (Churchill) said they weren't interested in the origin or history of the 6 years NCD provided I send them the 'Confirmation of NCD' statement from Aviva that was included in the renewal letter.

Thanks to everyone for the forum replies.

Introductory No Claims Discount - Engineer Andy

Essentially that's the experience I had when changing from RAC insurance to Esure in the early 2000s - I actually had only 5-6 years with them, but because they 'gave away' 5 years NCB free when I bought my previous car, I 'had' 10-11 whenh changing with a certificate to say so, despite only owning any car for 5-6 years.

Some allow it, some don't.