Turn left on red? - LHM
On trips to the USA, I've found the ability to 'turn right on red' at many traffic lights a very sensible idea. Would it be worth trialling this system in the UK, or are our roads/junctions too narrow to allow a full implementation?

The other aspect of US driving I found most noticeable was the relative lack of aggression! My first experience was driving from Dulles airport into Washington D.C. - at night, in pouring rain, windows steaming up, lost, in need of sleep, first time with LHD car - and even when crawling at times doing 40 on the beltway I didn't encounter any 'hostility' at all.........
Turn left on red? - CM
Don't you mean turn right on red? can't work it out as my brain has insufficient capacity.

When i was living in France, some of the traffic lights did have an amber arrow pointing right to allow cars to go (when straight on was held by a red). It still gave priority to pedestrians (which in France is not that reassuring). As to trials in the UK, if the French could manage it then I am sure that we could.

The other good thing that they have is that many traffic lights at night time are on flashing amber in all directions (ie giving way where necessary). I get annoyed by being held up pointlessly (where there is no danger) by a red light at 2am.
Turn left on red? - CM
Don't you mean turn right on red? can't work it out
as my brain has insufficient capacity.

Brain engaged.

Turn left on red - UK
Turn right on red - USA/Europe

Doh!
Turn left on red? - Altea Ego
Yes

when driving in the states I have found this to be an excelent idea, and see no reason why it shouldnt be implemented in the uk.
(turn left that is, not right)
Turn left on red? - Cyd
After some initial nerves with this system in the US, I found it to be superb. I would support "turn left on red" in the UK, but not at every junction - I would say about 25% of junctions are unsuitable (eg limited visibility). I have similar feelings for the "flashing amber at night" idea too. All it would need is a sign attached below the lights to indicate where it is allowed (or like USA a sign to indicate where it is not allowed).
Turn left on red? - Mark (RLBS)
Speaking for the places that I have lived in the US, the difference is the level of enforcement and the chances of being caught abusing the system.

Firstly the chances of being caught in the Bay Area were always very high. Traffic law is enforced at a level that would terrify all those people who whine about speed cameras.

Secondly there is a habit thing. In the UK it is not common to overtake on the inside (undertake). And even if the law permitted it (maybe it does) it would take a long time for it to become normal. Whereas in the US it *is* normal.

I think the same thing would happen in reverse with turn on red. Its nromal and therefore habitual in the US, it would take a lont to to become so in the UK - and that time could be a very traumatic time.
Turn left on red? - LHM
Mark,

I agree that these kind of changes would take some getting used to - but, with the ever-increasing traffic congestion, I wouldn't think it impossible......... The current legislation wasn't handed down in tablets of stone :-)
Turn left on red? - John S
LHM

I agree with your views on the 'low agression' driving in the USA.

As for turn left on red in the UK, I have my doubts. It seems to work well in the US, but they have the space for substantial numbers of dedicated right turn lanes. Because there are fewer of these (dedicated left turn lanes that is) in the UK then many of the benefits would be lost.

The other thing is the courtesy you mentioned - the right turn is permitted but pedestrians crosing still have priority. You don't get some idiot 4 cars back hooting because you haven't turned right! I can foresee problems with the agressive UK drivers here.

Regards

John S
Turn left on red? - pmh
Maybe I have missed it somewhere in all the above text, but dont you have to stop at the Red first? Then Turn. The same as a Halt sign at a junction.

Flashing amber in France works well (for straight across and for turning traffic), but I have a suspicion that this is because of the low traffic density and an established mind set of 'priorite a droite'. I cannot see it being sucessful in London!

pmh (was peter)
Turn left on red? - Gen
Having had a friend have a gun pointed at him when hooting a car in US I suspect less aggression is more to do with more violence/risks in road rage. Didn't that Norris guy a couple of years ago or something who stabbed a guy and fled to Spain lower road rage in england! Certainly made me think...

Flashing amber was a good idea years ago in some ways but inferior to pressure pads and computerised traffic lights which will change when a car approaches if noone else around.

Turning left on red where is a significant advantage in it is usually done by split traffic lights with arrowed greens, at least around here it is!

Much as I hate to say it, having travelled, in many ways traffic control in britain is quite good...will never be as good as planned cities often in europe due to wars giving a blank canvas but what can you do?

Now if you had said about other countries not having so many speed humps...
Turn left on red? - Bilgewater
There was a set of traffic lights in my town with a filter lane for left turning traffic. All you had to do was give way to traffic coming from your right.
Then the council came along and re-designed the junction without this facility at great expense to the tax payer.
Now we have much greater conjestion at this juction.
Well done Suffolk County Council.
Turn left on red? - THe Growler
We have the "right on red" system as per USA. Indeed you must turn right if you are in the right lane and it safe to do so.

But what you will find is that the US right on red system usually works in conjunction with a four-way traffic light sequence at a four-way intersection, i.e. at any one time only one direction of traffic has a green, all the rest have a red. Thus you can turn right with care at any time when your lane is on a red and any other is on a green since you will be merging with traffic going in the same direction as you are.

The above of course refers to driving on the right. The disadvantage of this system is your green takes longer to come up in the sequence so if you are going straight ahead you have to wait longer. Especially annoying when there are a whole bunch of 4-ways on your route whose lights are linked and you hit the sequence wrong for some reason.
Turn left on red? - Cliff Pope
This sounds a good idea, but it is designed with cars in mind, not pedestrians. As I understand it there are no pedestrians in America, so that wouldn't be a problem.