Honda Jazz - Mileage vs age when choosing a used car... - Starman999

Am in the market for a Honda Jazz. Two cars presently catch my eye. Both have full service history and are the same price. One is a 64 plate and has done 100k; the other is a 10 plate but has only done 51k.

If all else is apparently equal, which is the better bet?

Honda Jazz - Mileage vs age when choosing a used car... - Railroad.

Ignore both age and mileage and concentrate on condition.

And if condition is equal?!

Will more miles done in less time mean less wear than less miles done in more time?!

Honda Jazz - Mileage vs age when choosing a used car... - Vitesse6

Look at the service history and check the MOT history. See if one has a history of failing MOT for silly stuff that would have been picked up and sorted if the car had been looked after properly.

Honda Jazz - Mileage vs age when choosing a used car... - SLO76
Assuming condition and history are equal I’d favour the older low mileage example. It’ll be easier to sell on when you’re done with it and the biggest weakness on the Honda Jazz is gearbox and thrust bearings which tend to get noisy at six figure mileages. The Mk II is much better in this but I’d still favour lower miles.
Honda Jazz - Mileage vs age when choosing a used car... - edlithgow
Assuming condition and history are equal I’d favour the older low mileage example. It’ll be easier to sell on when you’re done with it

Surprised at that last bit. I thought "book value" and depreciation was mostly age-based.

Market economics aside, mileage inevitably involves some wear.

Deterioration due to age is less inevitable and varies a lot with usage, storage and particularly washing, BUT it should be mostly visible on inspection,

If they both look the same, mileage is your discriminating variable.

Honda Jazz - Mileage vs age when choosing a used car... - edlithgow

Above assumes you BELIEVE the mileage, however.

I dunno what the situation is in The Yook now but when I lived there mileage was extensively faked and I never paid any attention to it.

My brother sold a Renault 12 which the next couple of owners apparently drove exclusively backwards, judging by the change in the mileage. Maybe better record keeping has fixed that..

When I worked in trading network support in the City, well-heeled Cockney Bankers used to ask the mileage on my bangers and were apparently quite bemused when I couldn't tell them

Honda Jazz - Mileage vs age when choosing a used car... - Andrew-T

Above assumes you BELIEVE the mileage, however. I dunno what the situation is in The Yook now but when I lived there mileage was extensively faked and I never paid any attention to it.

The mileage can't be as extensively faked now that any car's MoT history is accessible online. Electronic odos are easily altered, but the annual sequence will show up any discontinuity.

Thanks for the replies so far.

My question was prompted by the thought that 'more miles driven in less time' would indicate less stop-start miles, less miles driven on a cold engine, and more motorway miles.

So the quality of the miles traveled is what I was thinking of. Would not 10x one-mile journeys cause more mechanical wear than, say, 3x seven-mile journeys, even though the latter is over double the mileage?

Edited by Starman999 on 07/01/2019 at 23:41

Honda Jazz - Mileage vs age when choosing a used car... - Andrew-T

So the quality of the miles traveled is what I was thinking of. Would not 10x one-mile journeys cause more mechanical wear than, say, 3x seven-mile journeys, even though the latter is over double the mileage?

Well, yes it might, but you are still making assumptions about how the car has been driven - unless you buy from the previous owner and can ask direct questions.

For two cars differing in age by 4 years to cost the same, the older one would need to be pretty special. Unless its annual mileage has been 2000 or less, a solid maintenance record should be encouraging.