All and Any - Calling all users of the M25 - Dartford Crossing - Smileyman

So last week Thursday out for a lunchtime stroll through the shopping centre near work, I met up with two very helpful people seeking public opinion about the proposed new road tunnels under the Thames.(Lower Thames Crossing).

After a few choice words (polite words, they are only messengers) I understand the tunnel will now be 3 lanes each way (not 2 as originally proposed), and yes a bridge would be cheaper but the tunnels look better (ie invisible), and tunnels will take longer to construct.

Not looking forwards to the delays on the A2 and M25 whilst the works are in progress, it's going to be near on 10 years before the new roads are open in the mean time the queues at Dartford will be as bad as ever, air quality from queuing traffic a hazard to health and of course a toll charge for the pleasure!

Have your say too .... Highways England - Lower Thames Crossing Statutory Consultation address

https://highwaysengland.citizenspace.com/ltc/consultation/?_cldee=dHJhdmVsQGltc2J2cy5mOS5jby51aw%3d%3d&recipientid=contact-fde8c7bcd809e71180fb5065f38a1b01-09a61a312bd645e8905078a97ff91fbc&esid=c3bcfe1f-88cc-e811-815f-70106fa68211&urlid=0

Edited by Smileyman on 04/11/2018 at 22:05

All and Any - Calling all users of the M25 - Dartford Crossing - RT

A tunnel is more resistant to weather impacts - however hazardous loads will need longer stoppages.

All and Any - Calling all users of the M25 - Dartford Crossing - Manatee

I got an email link to the survey because I have a Dart account, but it didn't really make much sense to a non-local. The questions soon became unanswerable without local knowledge.

Those passing through just don't want to be held up, who and what is affected and how it works locally is just unknowable, and most won't care.

All and Any - Calling all users of the M25 - Dartford Crossing - Engineer Andy

...and a tunel will cost several magnitudes more than a bridge, especially when the soft London clay is taken into account.

All and Any - Calling all users of the M25 - Dartford Crossing - Snakey

A tunnel is more resistant to weather impacts - however hazardous loads will need longer stoppages.

You'd hope that was the case, but the poxy Tyne Tunnel closes when it rains heavily as it floods!

Mind you, that tunnel was engineered with one thing in mind, profit.