Citroen - wedding cars, a murky business - bananastand

I did have a plan to convert a funeral car to a wedding car but I abandoned it as the sums didn't add up.

Still going to enter the market though, but with a more "manageable" car or two.

No special licence is needed for weddings/funerals but you do need a private hire operator licence for ANY other kind of event. The person driving also needs a PH driving licence.

I came across a facey page and website for a firm operating the cars I am interested in.

Their publicity talks exclusively of weddings, and makes no mention of insurance or licences

However they have facebook reviews thanking them for taking people to their PROM NIGHT. But instead of a fee, they take donations for charity. Hmmm, legal or not?

Citroen - wedding cars, a murky business - Bromptonaut

However they have facebook reviews thanking them for taking people to their PROM NIGHT. But instead of a fee, they take donations for charity. Hmmm, legal or not?

Weddings seem to have moved in from a hired Rolls or possibly a horse drawn carriage and into a much wider range of classic and/or novelty vehicles. My daughter got married three weeks ago and travelled with me from her home to the church in a seventies VW camper. Bloke who owned it seemed to do weddings as a sideline to help disburse running costs. Others no doubt have a fleet and are more on a business footing.

There's also a demand for unusual vehicles for Proms. Daughter went to hers 9 years ago in a Moggy 1000 belonging to a friend of a friend. Arrivals at the school were a village event for a few years with a turnout of a hundred plus to watch. If a wedding car owner will do it for a genuine charity donation, perhaps as a favour for a friend of a friend it seems pretty harmless.

Assuming they go directly from home to Prom and no more than a few miles then I don't think taxi enforcement would be bothered. If they go for a longer ride or a burn up the M1 or if there's profit it's a different ball game.

Having said that if there were an accident and injuries then more serious inquiries might cause problems but I suspect police would be looking for C&U offences rather than trying to prosecute breach of PH rules.

Citroen - wedding cars, a murky business - jaimepirvinoi

No offense, but do you really think that someone wants to hire a Citroen as a wedding car?

Citroen - wedding cars, a murky business - badbusdriver

No offense, but do you really think that someone wants to hire a Citroen as a wedding car?

vintage-citroen-harriet

Citroen - wedding cars, a murky business - catsdad

My son used Atwell Wilson of Calne Wilts for his wedding car. They are primarily a motor museum. Within 15 miles they are only £300-£495 per booking which is a bargain compared to other wedding related costs.

I have no connection with them.

Citroen - wedding cars, a murky business - badbusdriver

I'm perplexed by the OP's statement that they'd looked into ex funeral cars but the sums didn't add up. I've never gone onto Autotrader looking specifically for such a car but I do notice them from time to time, and they often strike me as being exceptional value for money.

Noticed this Omega a few days ago:

Seems like a lot of car for not much money?