Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - oldroverboy.

Was stopped at lunchtime by Essex finest...

Three lanes, left lane and centre lane to go left, centre lane to go ahead and right and right lane to go right. Stopped for not obstructing a box junction.

I stopped at some traffic lights in the centre lane at North station, Cochester, as the exit i wanted only had space for 2 cars occupied , and if i had proceeded would have obstructed traffic coming across the junction from my left and right. Several cars tooted and passed on the right (large dark Audi) and left (small black kia)

Explained, .... We thought there was space... (coming from a different direction)

Appears explanation accepted, but said i would not obstruct a box junction as then i would be at fault. Asked if i had my driving licence, told there was a marker for wearing glasses, said they're on me (on my nose) , they are varifocals, wear them all the time.....Given the "eyesight test" which didn't seem to be far away at all. ( I am sure you are all pleased to know i passed)

Courteous "have a nice day."

Edited by oldroverboy. on 21/09/2018 at 15:23

Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - Engineer Andy

You'd think they should have better things to do with their time...glad it worked out alright.

You'd think they should have better things to do with their time..

I refrained from saying that..

Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - madf

"You'd think they should have better things to do with their time"

Given that a lot of OAPs are driving with eyesight which fails tests, any excuse to test another one is going to seized upon.

Well done for passing!

As a little note, as I am suffering from Macular Degeneration... and having 3 monthly eye injections in my right eye, my optician is doing eye tests every 3 months about 14 or so days before the injection to give a valid medical reading at my expense.

I hope that I would have the rapid sense to stop driving if eyesight was poor.

To anyone considering the injections, it sounds worse than it is. bit of discomfort, sometimes bit of very temporary blurring of vision in that eye..

Excellent team at ECH here in Cochester.

Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - jc2

You are allowed to enter a box junction if you are turning right!

Was going straight ahead... Would not like to test it in court if exit clearly blocked before getting there.

Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - Big John

If the exit to where you will turning right to is clear

"If you want to turn right, you are allowed to enter the box and wait if you're prevented from turning by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. It's perfectly legal for you to wait on the yellow criss-cross provided your exit road is clear"

Edited by Big John on 21/09/2018 at 19:25

If the exit to where you will turning right to is clear

"If you want to turn right, you are allowed to enter the box and wait if you're prevented from turning by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. It's perfectly legal for you to wait on the yellow criss-cross provided your exit road is clear"

AS I said before, my exit road was not clear. so clear to me that my decision was correct.

Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - Engineer Andy

Quite right ORB.

Given that a lot of OAPs are driving with eyesight which fails tests, any excuse to test another one is going to seized upon.

I am told i look late 50's actually frequently asked to prove I am an OAP, I suppose the benefits of being married to youngrovergirl who reached the half century this year.... (but we won't go into that) (far too dangerous)

Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - Smileyman

Nice to see the traffic boys earning their keep .. these guys are thin on the ground so you were very lucky to find a patrol with some spare time (!)

I guess they also checked your road tax and insurance too, not stated in the post. (and MOT if applies). Surprised no check on your tyres, wiper blades and exterior lights too, but I suppose as you have a newish car these are less likely to be in need of checking.

The traffic guys in Kent Police (have a close working association with Essex Police) often boast on twitter how they stopped someone for a single offence then end up finding the vehicle (or driver) has a catalogue of problems, so much so the car owner ends up continuing with their journey on foot / by public transport, or even via a detour to the local police station!

Nice to see the traffic boys earning their keep .. these guys are thin on the ground so you were very lucky to find a patrol with some spare time (!)

I guess they also checked your road tax and insurance too, not stated in the post. (and MOT if applies). Surprised no check on your tyres, wiper blades and exterior lights too, but I suppose as you have a newish car these are less likely to be in need of checking.

The traffic guys in Kent Police (have a close working association with Essex Police) often boast on twitter how they stopped someone for a single offence then end up finding the vehicle (or driver) has a catalogue of problems, so much so the car owner ends up continuing with their journey on foot / by public transport, or even via a detour to the local police station!

And... I have no problem in them checking things over, presumably one of them was doing it on his hand held ipad type device while the other one was checking my sight and asking for my details. And they were polite anyway. I was dressed smart casual... if that helps.

Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - Bilboman

It does rather read as though the only purpose for the stop was to tick a box for "eyesight test" as part of the new campaign. All perfectly within the law, of course...
Years ago when I was a student in Nottingham, the Chief Constable of the day ran a popular campaign against drink driving, and according to anecdotal accounts at the time (local tv and radio news in those pre-internet days), quite a few drivers were stopped for driving at 32 mph, PCs suspected/smelt alcohol, breath test, positive reading and another one was caught. Simultaneously, a campaign in the Hyson Green area against kerb-crawling drivers meant that any driver proceeding along a certain street in the city had to keep his speed between 25 and 29 mph or else!

According to the First thing the Police said. " I was obstructing the trsffic flpw and drivers were forced to swerve around me" From THEIR view point, going in a different direction there seemed to be space ro go into, (there was not)

I quite firmly said that for my exit, the road was blocked and that I would not block the junction.....

If they had had cctv in their vehicle they could have watched it to check. There are also cameras above that junction.

Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - gordonbennet

The old bill do not always get it right, but unfortunately they are the ones who dish out tickets, so even when they are talking out of their back side it's sometimes a case of just listening and nodding where appropriate.

As for blocking junctions and roundabouts in general, a most annoying habit when one or several clowns who can't go anywhere deliberately (sadly too often lacking the wit to manage even this deliberately) block a junction where traffic going against the jammed flow could have all carried on had they left a space...my usual reaction to these is a round of applause, waste of time i know because they haven't a clue why everyone is annoyed at them.

So, well done ORB but having the nous to look further than the end of your bonnet and capable of assessing and acting on what you see, now if you could go come up with a formula to educate the millions of pork incapable of that simple thing, you'd have my vote for minister of transport.

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/09/2018 at 10:07

imgur.com/a/LgSVdAA

photo of the junction..

I was in the centre lane next to the white van on the right of the photo, where the two cars are side by side was full. I was going straight on into the station, bootom far left of the image, so in the left lane of two that is out of sight behind the silver ford. the right lane of the two is for traffic going right and then left. By the time the old bill came back around me there was a 3rd car obstructing the grid,

It is a crazy junction and often gridlocked in the rush hours.

Hey Ho, over with...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 24/09/2018 at 11:35

Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

One local box T junction, I have to predict when there will be room appearing and enter slowly.Otherwise vehicles from a side street get in before there are actually spaces.

We need the box junctions marking on one local roundabout , the traffic queues on it at peak times and prevents other traffic from going straight ahead. Towards the hospital actually.

Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - Bilboman

That whole junction needs a total redesign (the sort of redesign where the Luftwaffe blow it to pieces and they start afresh!) Any junction with two box junctions or two mini roundabouts is always a botch-up, no doubt forced by budget cuts, and I'll bet a pound to a penny that the "designer(s)" of the junction never actually use it themselves.(There are a few worse examples about, though: bit.ly/2xzUYSp)

Edited by Bilboman on 24/09/2018 at 11:51

imgur.com/a/OP2QAht

This is an aerial view.. Fun isn't it?

The grid/box junction in the centre, just below right of the large white roof building coming from mile end road is usually blocked.. you can sit there for 3 or 4 light sequences unless brave/mad enough to "Go For IT!)

There are 5 box junctions in the "traffic calming" area.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 24/09/2018 at 15:24

Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - Senexdriver
Circling back to your mention of AMD, I have it too - although ‘dry’ at the moment. I am dreading the stage where I need injections in the eye, so I’m grateful for your reassurance that it’s not so bad. I’ve undergone some unpleasant procedures and ops in my time, so I’m fairly robust about these matters, but I feel a bit squeamish about injections in my eyes.
Circling back to your mention of AMD, I have it too - although ‘dry’ at the moment. I am dreading the stage where I need injections in the eye, so I’m grateful for your reassurance that it’s not so bad. I’ve undergone some unpleasant procedures and ops in my time, so I’m fairly robust about these matters, but I feel a bit squeamish about injections in my eyes.

I said I was nervous, and the nurse held my hand while the injection was going in first time. Don't be nervous about asking for extra anaesthetic drops,,,, ...If you have questions talk to the team. Here they are really good. although there are lots of people , after the eye test, photos and consultation the injections are abou1 every 10 minutes, you're in and out before you realise it.

I am told that if it is still stable in November, they will stop for a year,

I don't know how you are financially, but there is stem cell teatment too £8000 ish

Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - ian j roberts

Sorry to hear about your eye problem ORB, best of luck with the unpleasant sounding treatments, also sorry but not surprised to hear about the perceptual difficulties of the officers you had the pleasure to encounter, shame there doesnt appear to be an effective treatment for SOME of them.

Amusing.. Stopped - for Failing to block a box junction. - Big John

How about this for a junction :-

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3214825/Junction-...l

Actually needs a few box markings!!

Edited by Big John on 25/09/2018 at 22:21