‘Worn brake pads’ thread - Avant
I have just done something I do very rarely unless it’s spam: I’ve deleted a whole thread.

This forum is NOT a place to trade insults so it had to go. Apologies to those who gave sound advice.

John F was very restrained until he suddenly accused Skidpan of being a family member of mine - the implication being presumably that he was getting special treatment. Tempting as it is, ‘banning’ someone spouting insulting nonsense like that is ineffective as they can simply re-register under another name.

Finally, to anyone who gives advice, but particularly John F, you need to remember that although most regulars on here know enough to understand what you mean, it could be a different matter for Arthur Punter, who has, for example, worn pads on his Vauxhall and is looking for a cheap way to deal with it.. The risk is that he is selective in the parts of the advice that he takes - and that could be dangerous.
‘Worn brake pads’ thread - Oli rag

You're a very good and even handed moderator Avant, but I do feel this could and should have been nipped in the bud a couple of days ago.

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - badbusdriver

You're a very good and even handed moderator Avant, but I do feel this could and should have been nipped in the bud a couple of days ago.

Yes, like when skidpan labelled John F as 'the forum idiot'. Seems that's OK though, just don't make any suggestions of favouritism?

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - oldroverboy.

What do we want in this forum?

A light touch moderator? anything goes?

Avant is a moderate moderator.

I like that, and i agree with the no "name and shame bits"

Courtesy Gentlemen, and Ladies too.

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - craig-pd130

What do we want in this forum?

A light touch moderator? anything goes?

Avant is a moderate moderator.

I like that, and i agree with the no "name and shame bits"

Courtesy Gentlemen, and Ladies too.

Agree 100%

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - The Heg
I’ve been in and out of the forum for about 15 years, and there do seem to have been a few unnecessarily aggressive and impolite responses to things recently. Courtesy costs nothing, and if someone else is being rude, don’t engage.
‘Worn brake pads’ thread - Andrew-T

Yes, like when skidpan labelled John F as 'the forum idiot'. Seems that's OK though, just don't make any suggestions of favouritism?

Not content with blurting out the odd insult on slight provocation, also suggesting that other less abusive contributors (including me) should be 'banned'. Luckily there is some justice.

Agree with the other posts here.

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - madf

I might think others are village idiots but am always too polite to say so :-)

(It takes one to recognise others)

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - John F
John F was very restrained until he suddenly accused Skidpan of being a family member of mine - the implication being presumably that he was getting special treatment.
Tempting as it is, ‘banning’ someone spouting insulting nonsense like that is ineffective as they can simply re-register under another name.

I trust the 'insulting nonsense like that' refers to skidpan's invective, not my wondering, described erroneously by you as an accusation, that there might be a link between you and skidpan that we do not know about. Clearly (well, no longer clear as you have deleted the thread) I am not the only one in thinking that he receives special treatment.

Finally, to anyone who gives advice, but particularly John F, you need to remember that although most regulars on here know enough to understand what you mean, it could be a different matter for Arthur Punter, who has, for example, worn pads on his Vauxhall and is looking for a cheap way to deal with it..

As others have pointed out, this is a discussion forum. Opinions expressed are not 'advice' unless explicitly stated as such. In this section of the website there is no duty of care requirement for A. Punter et al.

On the whole I think you are a good moderator, Avant, but not on this occasion. It was arguably an interesting thread you deleted, with some entertaining discussion which I hope provided some thoughtful amusement for many readers.

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - scot22

Just adding my thoughts. I think Avant does an exemplary job as moderator. Sadly, one for general discussion forum, there has been a general decline in good manners. Not a grumpy old man comment. As has been said courtesy costs nothing. It has also been said good manners are the oil of society.

Working in education I am sorry to stay I saw a steady decline in attitude from many young people. Not the majority whose parents brought them up to respect others.

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - FP

I kept well clear of the now deleted thread; the way it developed brought out the worst in some people.

Avant, as moderator, has a difficult job. If he doesn't intervene he will doubtless appear too lenient to some. If he does intervene he will inevitably seem heavy-handed to others.

Skidpan, as those of us who have frequented the forum for some time will know, can be a pain and his posts inconsiderate and unsympathetic. John F is always courteous and calm.

Probably the deletion of the thread was the best solution. In my view it became a private battleground and the actual subject under discussion was lost.

I hate this kind of nastiness. I have already withdrawn from a certain other motoring forum because of the level of personal unpleasantness. I do hope I shan't start feeling the same way about the BR.

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - KB.

There's always been the odd character here who doesn't mind upsetting the apple cart.

Since 2002, to my certain knowledge, they've come and gone.

Some have inflated views of their own importance, some are quite well informed but come across as caustic and unpleasant. The 'other' forum (which many/most will know and to which some here also contribute) has a handful of (in my humble opinion) pompous individuals who may well be well informed but are just plain nasty with it.... but because they are bullies no-one seems to confront them.

Here there's generally a nice vibe which is only occasionally ruffled when a couple of the "less restrained" contributors clash.

Fortunately the forum here is blessed with a darn fine fellow who oversees affairs. Goodness knows how he keeps an even temper when confronted with unwarranted complaints and comments directed at him ... but he does - and the forum is a better place for it.

If any one of us flounced off it wouldn't be particularly terrible, but if the forum lost it's moderator then the place would quickly become mayhem.

So I respectfully suggest that those who have said things that, with the benefit of hindsight, weren't strictly appropriate, then maybe they ought to let matters rest.... or, if they're that upset, then leave - life will still go on.

Probably the deletion of the thread was the best solution. In my view it became a private battleground and the actual subject under discussion was lost..

That may have been part of the problem - there wasn't really much of an original 'subject' for discussion. Only a slightly daft idea from John-F about replacing brake pads singly instead of in pairs [actually I think that is just about OK if the less-worn pad is left mating with its disc while a new one beds in on the other side - that might even be better than having two new pads bedding in together ? ].

John's main point was about a pad's friction material being exhausted, a far worse state of affairs. I once had use of a pool car at work - a Pug 309 - with at least one pad in that condition, and drove it about 200 miles braking on gears as much as possible, as the noise was terrible. As a pool car, no-one took responsibility for getting it sorted.

....Only a slightly daft idea from John-F about replacing brake pads singly instead of in pairs [actually I think that is just about OK if the less-worn pad is left mating with its disc while a new one beds in on the other side - that might even be better than having two new pads bedding in together ? ].

I hadn't thought of that, it does indeed make scientific sense - so not so daft after all!

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - Leif

John F is always courteous and calm.

He can be rude and deliberately provocative.

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - oldroverboy.

Can we all PLEASE stop discussing people and their faults.

Avant, please lock the thread.

I have my faults, but it is not my place to trade insults, and equally I seem to remember being defended quite nicely by avant once, and once when he asked if i knew the quality of the oil by smelling it? gently smiled at my turn of phrase.(and i wasn't offended...

Enjoy ourselves

mais, un peu de politesse SVP

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - craig-pd130

once when he asked if i knew the quality of the oil by smelling it? gently smiled at my turn of phrase.(and i wasn't offended...

You can only truly tell the quality of oil by tasting it ;-)

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - Oli rag

Provocative maybe , but never found him rude.

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - skidpan

Avant

Thanks for deleting the thread, the nonsense posted by JohnF had no place on this or for that matter any forum.

But it always amazes me that no matter how daft his ideas posters will support him when others (and there are more than me) disagree.

Lets hope that he quietly goes away and leaves the forum to sensible souls.

Thank you all for your support.

I won't close this thread quite yet as, for the sake of good manners, I would still like John F to apologise for suggesting that I favour any member over any others. I have never been accused of that before, and hope I won't be again. But I won't worry or lose any sleep over it - it tells us more about the accuser than the accused.

Thank you all for your support.

I won't close this thread quite yet as, for the sake of good manners, I would still like John F to apologise for suggesting that I favour any member over any others. I have never been accused of that before, and hope I won't be again. But I won't worry or lose any sleep over it - it tells us more about the accuser than the accused.

Best ignored. Your moderation has seemed fair over the past weeks, months, years, decades ... doesn’t time fly ...

......I would still like John F to apologise for suggesting that I favour any member over any others. I have never been accused of that before, and hope I won't be again. But I won't worry or lose any sleep over it - it tells us more about the accuser than the accused.

Avant, it has long been apparent that skidpan is permitted to post invective with impunity. Far from 'trading' an insult in return I have always remained polite. I am sorry that you are offended or embarrassed by my speculations as to the reason for your tolerance but I see no reason to apologise for them. It should not be left to other posters to reprimand bad behaviour.

I am disappointed that you felt the need to delete the thread. I think it would have been better to have deleted any personally insulting post with warning and left the rest of the debate alone (standard practice elsewhere).

As for the pad-free backing plate on my d-in-law's Acura, I am pleased to say she came to no harm, and indeed had noticed no difference in the braking - apart from the noise!

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - Chris M

Skidpan. We're not supporting John F's views, just his right to air them. I support your right to disagree with him, me or anyone else here. Just do it by being civil please.

But it always amazes me that no matter how daft his ideas posters will support him when others (and there are more than me) disagree.

Skidpan, you seem to miss the point several of us try to make: we don't necessarily support John-F, we just dislike your attitude of 'I am right, and those who disagree (especially John F) are idiots, or worse'. You may have good sense on your side some of the time, but it is simply tactless.

Provocative maybe , but never found him rude.

Rude in the sense that he can be condescending. Anyway, I missed the excitement, as always.

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - skidpan

You may have good sense on your side some of the time, but it is simply tactless.

OK, I may be tactless but I don't post dangerous advice that could cause owners problems with their cars or in the case of brakes possible injury.

In my opinion if someone gives stupid advice it perfectly OK to call them stupid.

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - FP

"In my opinion if someone gives stupid advice it perfectly OK to call them stupid."

I can't let that pass. It's the advice that's stupid (maybe) and you can say so; to call the person stupid, however, is insulting.

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - Brit_in_Germany

So it is not stupid to replace a brake pad when 50% worn just because the dealer suggests it, particularly when the perfectly reasonable proposition aired was that actually no pad material remaining would not lead to a catastrophic brake failure?

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 19/09/2018 at 19:50

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - gordonbennet

There is an issue when fitting new pads to already worn discs, in that initially and for possbly several hundred miles, only a percentage of the new pad will be in contact with the disc until the pads wear to the shape of the disc.

In John's original posting, he was simply stating that in theory one could fit just on new pad, and again in theory, you would have better braking because the older pad would still be in full contact with the disc, as alluded to in an above post.

Before anyone starts calling me names, i'm not suggesting this is necessarily the way to go for anyone else but for a home mechanic who didn't mind doing the job again a few weeks later, it would mean that during the bedding in time that the individual brake would probably perform better than if all new pads had been fitted, neither of which would be providing much effort until the pads had worn to the disc in question.

In the other brake thread i made mention of the need for brake pads (and brake drums, where what is going on inside cannot be seen through that silly little inspection hole) to be removed at least every other year...the reason for this is that you simply cannot tell what condition those pads are in when in situ, and whilst they're out its time to clean inspect and lube things up before reassembly.

I've removed pads and the pads have literally fallen apart once out, it was only the support in their groove holding them together, i've found pad facings to be breaking up and whole catalogue of other nasties, right down to the memorable time i serviced a chaps Renault 10 and found all 4 front pads down to the metal and the solid discs to be arounf 1/32" thick, washer thickness, how they hadn't shattered in situ causing total brake failure i shall never know and it's a pity that cameras weren't so freely available back then because the pic really should have gone to Car Mechanics magazine.

I found a pad to be completely missing on a Citroen Ami Dolly, the friction material being the piston itself which due to the heat resembled General De Gaulle's cap as it wore away to nothing, again disaster yards not miles away.

Quite how the owners of those two vehicles had been driving along for so long and not heard or could feel the horrid graunching sound is a mystery, the noise from the Renault would have woken the dead.

Thing with John his idea of servicing is the complete opposite of mine which again is entirely different to many others here, as far as i can see isn't advocating those who don't get their hands dirty to take up his methods, no more than i'd expect anyone else to follow my examples and be changing their engine oils twice a year let alone all the brake obsessions i have, but those who don't get their hands dirty won't have the foggiest idea what we've been waffling about anyway.

It would be a shame if the differing views and anecdotes were not heard, i really can't see any new reader who hasn't a clue about vehicles who happened upon one of our threads being tempted to buy a pack of el cheapo cardboard brake pads, and share them with his mate who has the same model to save what? £7.50? so they fit 2 pads per axle instead of 4.

Its a discussion forum.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/09/2018 at 20:08

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - badbusdriver

There is an issue when fitting new pads to already worn discs, in that initially and for possbly several hundred miles, only a percentage of the new pad will be in contact with the disc until the pads wear to the shape of the disc.

In John's original posting, he was simply stating that in theory one could fit just on new pad, and again in theory, you would have better braking because the older pad would still be in full contact with the disc, as alluded to in an above post.

Before anyone starts calling me names, i'm not suggesting this is necessarily the way to go for anyone else but for a home mechanic who didn't mind doing the job again a few weeks later, it would mean that during the bedding in time that the individual brake would probably perform better than if all new pads had been fitted, neither of which would be providing much effort until the pads had worn to the disc in question.

In the other brake thread i made mention of the need for brake pads (and brake drums, where what is going on inside cannot be seen through that silly little inspection hole) to be removed at least every other year...the reason for this is that you simply cannot tell what condition those pads are in when in situ, and whilst they're out its time to clean inspect and lube things up before reassembly.

I've removed pads and the pads have literally fallen apart once out, it was only the support in their groove holding them together, i've found pad facings to be breaking up and whole catalogue of other nasties, right down to the memorable time i serviced a chaps Renault 10 and found all 4 front pads down to the metal and the solid discs to be arounf 1/32" thick, washer thickness, how they hadn't shattered in situ causing total brake failure i shall never know and it's a pity that cameras weren't so freely available back then because the pic really should have gone to Car Mechanics magazine.

I found a pad to be completely missing on a Citroen Ami Dolly, the friction material being the piston itself which due to the heat resembled General De Gaulle's cap as it wore away to nothing, again disaster yards not miles away.

Quite how the owners of those two vehicles had been driving along for so long and not heard or could feel the horrid graunching sound is a mystery, the noise from the Renault would have woken the dead.

Thing with John his idea of servicing is the complete opposite of mine which again is entirely different to many others here, as far as i can see isn't advocating those who don't get their hands dirty to take up his methods, no more than i'd expect anyone else to follow my examples and be changing their engine oils twice a year let alone all the brake obsessions i have, but those who don't get their hands dirty won't have the foggiest idea what we've been waffling about anyway.

It would be a shame if the differing views and anecdotes were not heard, i really can't see any new reader who hasn't a clue about vehicles who happened upon one of our threads being tempted to buy a pack of el cheapo cardboard brake pads, and share them with his mate who has the same model to save what? £7.50? so they fit 2 pads per axle instead of 4.

Its a discussion forum.

Very well put GB, all of it!

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - ElHombre

Seconded

‘Worn brake pads’ thread - Manatee

You may have good sense on your side some of the time, but it is simply tactless.

OK, I may be tactless but I don't post dangerous advice that could cause owners problems with their cars or in the case of brakes possible injury.

In my opinion if someone gives stupid advice it perfectly OK to call them stupid.

I don't think it is ever OK to call someone stupid.

In any case, being stupid would be unfortunate. But being thoroughly unpleasant is a choice one can make.

Edited by Manatee on 20/09/2018 at 13:56

" I really can't see any new reader who hasn't a clue about vehicles who happened upon one of our threads being tempted to buy a pack of el cheapo cardboard brake pads, and share them with his mate who has the same model to save what? £7.50? so they fit 2 pads per axle instead of 4."

I do hope you're right, GB. But (forgive my natural risk-aversion) there is a chance - OK, a small one I agree - that someone (like the Citroen and Renault owners you mention above) might think they know more than they do, and make a dangerous economy if they're desperate to save money to get their car through the MoT, and have a means of getting to work.

I agree that John F wasn't intending to give advice, but my job is to minimise the rsk of anyone taking it as such.

I wouldn't have removed the thread just because of that: a word of warning to be careful would have sufficed. But the thread had degenerated, quite unnecessarily, into insults; and that was why it had to go, which it did as soon as I saw it.

But (forgive my natural risk-aversion) there is a chance - OK, a small one I agree - that someone (like the Citroen and Renault owners you mention above) might think they know more than they do, and make a dangerous economy if they're desperate to save money to get their car through the MoT, and have a means of getting to work.

Avant, I realise that in these days of litigation-scare you have a duty to protect the forum from unfortunate consequences, but I suggest that any owners like the ones you mention are just as likely to attempt that without seeing John-F's 'advice'. In fact, assuming that they were able to remove wheels, open callipers, extract pads and replace some, and put everything together again, the result would depend mostly on their mechanical skills. The chance of such people even finding the (now-deleted) thread must have been pretty small, and if they ended up with mixed pairs of pads in the right places, their cars would probably still stop.

I don't think John-F ever suggested that the task was a doddle for any inexperienced DiY-er ?