VW Polo - Unable to turn off radio - Leif
I have a VW P9lo that was bought new a few weeks ago. It’s been in to repair the windscreen wipers which failed during heavy rain. Today on parking I was unable to turn off the radio. Took keys out, and it was still on. Pushed off button, no joy. Turned volume button, no joy. Put keys in ignition, used steering controls to mute the radio, no joy, pushed buttons to,reduce volume, no joy. I was fiddling for five minutes until it went off.

So, what to do? I’m tempted to record this, and contact the dealer if anything similar happens again. I’ve not had the car back a week yet! Oddly enough the loan car, same model, also had some weird behaviour, wipers stopped during light rain, then a fault code appeared on the dash. Right as rain after a few minutes!

In fact I have had an idea. I have VW assistance, so I might ask them if there is some reason for the behaviour, some form of lock for example.
Someone told me the dealer will do nowt as it’s unreproducible, so I should video it next time it happens as proof.
VW Polo - Unable to turn off radio - KJP 123

If it is Chris Evans you a have a claim for mental cruelty.

If it is Chris Evans you a have a claim for mental cruelty.

I would have crashed the car to put myself out of my misery. Are all R1 and R2 DJ’s inane tedious egotists.

VW Polo - Unable to turn off radio - Avant

Did you try opening the driver's door? That turns the radio off in my V60 (by design).

Did you try opening the driver's door? That turns the radio off in my V60 (by design).

Yes. It was after I opened the driver’s door that I noticed that the radio was still on.

VW Polo - Unable to turn off radio - Falkirk Bairn

Radio not responding?

The car is all computer driven.

If you had a computer that did not respond you would re-boot it.

Disconnect the battery, wait 5 minutes & reconnect - maybe a shot in the dark, but you never know.

Radio not responding?

Disconnect the battery, wait 5 minutes & reconnect - maybe a shot in the dark, but you never know.

That did occur to me. Does that reset the key codes, or are they stored in persistent memory? I suspect the latter. Yes, it also occurred to me that they try to drive as much as possible from one computer system to reduce costs, and as a software engineer, I know what they can lead to. I suspect these are niggles that will be worked out with future firmware updates. Hi Ho.

VW Polo - Unable to turn off radio - expat

Try holding down the on off button and keep it held down for several minutes. That worked on a Fiat I hired years ago when all else failed to switch the radio off.

Try holding down the on off button and keep it held down for several minutes. That worked on a Fiat I hired years ago when all else failed to switch the radio off.

I'll try that. Not ideal, but if it works at least the radio is off.

VW Polo - Unable to turn off radio - Engineer Andy

Radio not responding?

That did occur to me. Does that reset the key codes, or are they stored in persistent memory? I suspect the latter. Yes, it also occurred to me that they try to drive as much as possible from one computer system to reduce costs, and as a software engineer, I know what they can lead to. I suspect these are niggles that will be worked out with future firmware updates. Hi Ho.

I bet it would also reset all the engine compnents back to factory specs, e.g. the settings gleened by the MAF etc, so the car would run rough until it re-learned how to run smoothly again.

Radio not responding?

I bet it would also reset all the engine compnents back to factory specs, e.g. the settings gleened by the MAF etc, so the car would run rough until it re-learned how to run smoothly again.

Interesting. The dealer recently disconnected the battery and reset the system whilst investigating a wiper failure. That means that the car would subsequently have been running sub-optimally, and would have needed need to relearn. How long would it take to relearn? Are we talking about one 30 mile journey, or several hundred miles?

VW Polo - Unable to turn off radio - Engineer Andy

Interesting. The dealer recently disconnected the battery and reset the system whilst investigating a wiper failure. That means that the car would subsequently have been running sub-optimally, and would have needed need to relearn. How long would it take to relearn? Are we talking about one 30 mile journey, or several hundred miles?

It may vary from make to make - I found that it would take about 20 - 30 mins when I looked up what would happen if my Mazda3 mk1 had its battery disconnected (YT videoto do with cleaning the MAF). Often it needs some time just with the engine idling, then a representative drive at different speeds/throttle positions to finish the job.