- Slobodan

I have Yi Dash Cam. It is good for the price. But it has some bugs. For example, "urgent recording" button does not record 15 seconds before and after press. It records 15 seconds after press, but before press it is a lottery what you will get. It can go from 2 min and 45 sec down to 1 sec. Because this camera splits files in 3 minute parts, it depend in what part of that video file you press the button.

Here is my footage: www.youtube.com/channel/UCGKkBthxymVMSpbptXR8leQ It is set at 1080p and 30fps. If I set it to 60fps, it lags when playing a video on computer (it could be that my computer can not play 1080p at 60fps videos).

Also, note that Youtube decreases the video quality to some extent after I upload the video, for some reason.

Edited by Slobodan on 11/12/2017 at 11:44

- Clive Stacey
The Haoponer H198 - £14, looks like the product I paid £29.99 over the counter ay Europarts. Yes it does do the job at an affordable price. One advantage over all the others reviewed is that when fitted you don't have a distracting small screen taking up space in the windscreen.
I set mine to continuous loop, with a 4GB chip in this lasts about 2 hours. More than enough to hand to the Police or Insurance company.
Also on my frequent journeys on the A12, drivers who wish to undertake me and then cut in robbing me of my safety margin, look across, spot the camera and then think better of it.

A 12 Hopper.
Top 10: Cheap dash cameras - Slobodan

I have "hid" mine behind a rearview mirror, and the screen turns off after one minute. But I can still see half of the camera or so.

I can transfer videos from the camera to my phone via WiFi. So,m I would not just give away my SD card to police without taking a copy of the video to my phone first. Police and/or insurance company can allways delete the video or loose the card by "accident".

- R Solomons
I purchased a Nexbase because it was a Which best buy.
Just over a year later the internal battery failed, I contacted Nextbase stating I am out of warranty requesting a repair service, I got a very terse Email reply emphasizing I am out of warranty and offering no more.
I found a battery on the internet and replaced it my self requiring a little soldering but during my research found similar stories from other owners.

Yeah. Those batteries get absolutelly baked in the sun.

- Premierkit
I purchased the Yi Smart Dash Camera in November from Amazon, for a basic dashcam I was amazed at the quality of both the day and nighttime recording. With the camera in situ, using my iPhone 6 I can log into the camera’s wi-fi, and using the free Yi app, available from the App Store, I can see all the 3 minute files recorded on the micro sd card, I can view the individual files and download those that I wish to keep to my iPhone 6, all in a few minutes, it’s as easy as that. Rather than push the buttons on the camera you can also use the Yi app to remotely set the camera up from your phone, it’s so much easier.
The recording can be set to either 1929 x 720, 1920 x 1080, or 2304 x 1296, I’ve not used the 720 option, but in my opinion the quality of the recording is very good and you can easily read the number plates of cars day or night. The built in wi-fi and the free Yi app makes using this camera a doddle, you don’t need a computer to view or download the video files, just a smartphone.
This week Amazon were selling this dashcam on a lightning deal for £29.99, at this price, for a camera of this quality, it’s a no brainier, so I bought two more cameras, one for my wife and one for my daughter.
The camera is best used as a basic dashcam, but it also includes options to turn on Driving Report, ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance System) which includes LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System) and FCWS (Forward Collision Warning System) but having set these up I turned them off as they were too eager to advise me that I was drifting out of lane (on single carriageway country roads) or was to close to the car in front (in traffic jams).
If you need any further information try reading the reviews of this camera on Amazon (4.5 stars, 112 reviews)
- moddedmoggy
Thanks for this list, but I'm still looking for the one that suits me. I'm looking for one that autostarts recording on power on, so I can link it to the daytime running lights that come on with the ignition, and that is also as small as possible and at the same time weatherproof, as I want to mount it behind my grille rather than inside the car. I don't want to view it all the time so I don't care whether it has a screen or not, I just want to be able to retrieve the card from it should it witness anything I want to use the footage from. It seems like such a model doesn't exist yet, but I'm damned it I know why - wouldn't we all want a cheap recorder hidden away running permanently with the car?
Top 10: Cheap dash cameras - hanglider

Will dashcam not get broken if it's in behind grill in an accident.

Well, the answer is logical. If the camera gets hit it will get damaged.

Top 10: Cheap dash cameras - RafflesNH

Not to mention getting caked in grime spat up by vehicles in front in wet weather.