Turning round to talk whilst driving - LHM
Can someone please explain why quite a few drivers seem unable to hold a conversation with a passenger without turning to address them?

This morning, I was following someone in lane 2 down a busy dual-carriageway who was spending more time looking at his passenger in an animated conversation, than looking at the road ahead (or behind, come to that!). This caused me to feel so nervous that I dropped back to the inside lane to put a bit more space between us!

This behaviour is by no means rare, and never ceases to amaze me. Surely no-one is going to be offended by a speaker failing to make eye contact with them, in the interests of road safety?
Turning round to talk whilst driving - joe
75% of communication is non-verbal.
Turning round to talk whilst driving - DavidHM
lol - hope that was deliberate.

I think, in this case, your non-verbal posting was an example of highly effective non-verbal communication.

Just don't make a habit of it.
Sorry, David, just couldn't resist........... :-)
Turning round to talk whilst driving - googolplex
>Can someone please explain why quite a few drivers seem unable to hold a conversation with a passenger without turning to address them?

Happens in films all the time. Who needs to look at the road anyway?
Splodgeface
Turning round to talk whilst driving - slefLX
I'm the opposite and I hope this makes me a safer driver although I don't know if I'd say that was the primary reason for my insisting on talking to the windscreen ;-) I get very twitchy if I can't see at a glance what's happening all around me.

I was extremely nervous on one journey where circumstances forced me to be driving alone with a deaf friend who lip-reads (very well I might add). Luckily it was only a short trip but she was trying to make conversation and I was all too aware that I didn't want to look at her but if I didn't she wouldn't know what I was saying. I can't remember now exactly how I resolved it but I really hope I don't have to be alone in a car with a talkative deaf person too often! I'm not discriminating, just thinking of my nerves and safety on the roads.
Turning round to talk whilst driving - Mutterer
Scares me silly......

Have you noticed how whenever a media type appears on telly to tell us how to drive properly they insist on adressing the camera in the passengers footwell whilst proceeding along at what appears a fair speed?

The neighbours wonder why I scream at the telly.
Turning round to talk whilst driving - THe Growler
In Arab countries eye contact is very important when you're talking to someone, because eye response is the main source of feedback as to the recipient's reaction to what you're saying (now you know why reflective Raybans are so popular over there).

It is genuinely believed by many that provision of eye contact with rear seat passengers is the primary purpose of the rear view mirror. So all those Caprices, Le Sabres and Suburbans wandering randomly from lane to lane all over the highway at 140 kph with the interior mirror at 45 degrees are actually hosting animated discussions.