Laguna 2 and Mobil phone - Altea Ego
I have ordered a new Laguna, but did not specify the telephone pre wiring. It seems that the Laguna has an "athermic heat reflecting windshield that reflects all electromagnetic signals"

So questions are
1/ Anyone with a Laguna 2 relate their experiences re mobile
2/ Is any of the telephone pre equipment wiring harness in place even if you dont order the feature?

Thanks
Laguna 2 and Mobil phone - pmh
What I can tell you is that a friends L2 that has an Autoroute Telepeage transponder (radio based as far as I am aware) is very problematic cf any other car. The only position that will work is right behind the interior rear view mirror, and even then it is not always recognised. This seems to be where there is additional printed pattern (conductive?) on the windscreen.

Next time I am in it I will see if signal strength is an issue for my phone.

pmh (was peter)
Laguna 2 and Mobil phone - Shadow
There is no athermic heat reflecting in the small rectangle behind the interior mirror. I have a GPS aerial there and it picks up 5 to 7 satellites almost instantly on switch on.
I have just conducted a series of tests in a low signal strength here in S of France area using a Nokia 3310. The windscreen undoubtably reduces the signal strength if the phone is mounted on top of the dashboard close to the windscreen. If the phone is moved close to the patterned area behind the mirror the signal strength increases. If the phone is mounted the on the vertical face of the dashboard the effects are minimal, but still exist. I would suggest that the degradation of signal is probably not going to cause you a problem unless you habitually spend your life in areas with very poor service coverage.

(I define low signal strength as '1 bar', with the windscreen typically taking the level down to '0 bars', but still working).

Sorry I cant be more scientifically rigorous, but it should probably put your mind at rest if you use the phone in urban areas.

pmh (was peter)
Blimey

There was no need to travel all the way to the S O F to test it for me, but much obliged for the info. I assume this is why they fit an aerial on the roof for the GPS when sat nav is fitted.

I shall get a car kit ordered.

thanks again
Ren fam,
With so many French cars, you may find it cheaper to buy a house out here. Finance it from your savings on service costs and parts!

;)

pmh (was peter)

"athermic heat reflecting windshield that reflects all electromagnetic signals"

Just occurred to me, how do you see thro it then?

pmh (was peter)
With your eyes normally

its all to do with wavelengths, shorter ones pass thro longer ones dont, like you can see into your microwave, but the microwaves dont burn your eyes out cos they cant get out.
But it says 'all electro.......' !!!!
pmh (was peter)
ok
in that case, being French it doesent work properly and allows radiation in the visible spectrum thro. There will be a recall to fix it.