VCAR values - simonjc
I've been looking at a car which is advertised as a category D repair which around 25% less than a similar non VCAR would be. Can anyone please advise if this is around the correct price difference? I know that VCARs have this detail logged on their records and therefore they will never be worth the same as a non VCAR but should I buy one and enjoy bargain motoring? I uess it will be hard to sell? To be taken off the write-off register do all cars have to be inspected or should I arrange this - if so how much would this cost? Thanks for any information.
VCAR values - martint123
25% to 33% seems to be the norm (depending on the age).
If it's been well repaired and you want to hang onto it for quite a time then they can be good buys. It may be hard to sell, but if you sell at the same discounted rate you bought it for, then it ought to go.

AFAIK the vehicle will always be on the register as having been a total loss to the insurance company. Last year all you needed was to get an MOT for it. Nowadays I think you have to get it inspected to prove it's identity (to help prevent stolen cars having idnentity swaps with writeoffs.