Citroen Xsara Picasso - Suspension wishbone torn - VCD

I have been told that the wishbone boot has a tear on it. Is this dangerous to drive with and what can happen

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Suspension wishbone torn - RobJP

The boot is a protective rubber cover, which is designed to stop dirt and dust getting into the ball joint, and wearing it.

As such, a tear is probably not immediately dangerous, no. But now that dust and dirt can get into the ball joint, and act as an abrasive in there. So the longer you leave it, the more damage you might cause to the rest of the suspension - meaning more expense of replacement.

In addition, worn suspension can mean uneven (and faster) tyre wear - again, that's something else which is going to cost even more money in the long run. In extreme cases, it can even lead to wear or damage to the steering rack.

A job which is better done sooner rather than later, basically.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Suspension wishbone torn - gordonbennet

Rob just about sums it all up nicely, i agree get it sorted, we're going into bad weather and depending on how bad the tear is the joint will soon be rusty not greasy.

whether you can get away with just a new boot and the joint cleaned out and regreased i don't know (probably not these days), the joint itself might be replaceable in which case the job should be cheap, if its an integral part of the complete wishbone then it will be a bit more expensive.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Suspension wishbone torn - Peter.N.

One of the quickest ways to make it fail is to drive through deep water.

Citroen Xsara Picasso - Suspension wishbone torn - dieselnut

Make sure you get it fixed before the next MOT.

A split dust cover is an instant failure, even if there is no wear in the joint.