New Infiniti Q30 1.6 SE - Alloy Wheels - Affect on Car Warranty - jamct

I am interested in the above new model which comes with 'steel' wheels & wheel covers. Alloys are only available as part of the comprehensive technology 'City Black' upgrade at over £5000.

Does the after sale private purchase of the 'correct' size/specification alloy wheels from an independent supplier affect the car manufacture's warranty?.

I would of course inform my insurance company of the 'modification'.

Edited by jamct on 20/09/2015 at 16:28

New Infiniti Q30 1.6 SE - Alloy Wheels - Affect on Car Warranty - oldroverboy.

What is to stop you buying 4 original equipment alloys from the dealer and swapping your tyres over, retaining 1 steel wheel as a full size spare (if there is room,) or putting 4 winter tyres for the next winter. it is forecasted to be bad...

Don't tell me the dealer won't sell you 4 alloys...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 21/09/2015 at 10:31

New Infiniti Q30 1.6 SE - Alloy Wheels - Affect on Car Warranty - RobJP

In answer to the question : no, your warranty would not be affected.

UNLESS (if you did have a claim) they could show that the 'incorrect' wheels had contributed to the component failure, e.g. incorrect offset on wheels causing suspension geometry problems, etc.

At present the only alloys available for this 'new' model, not yet in the showrooms, are included in the £4,710 'CITY BLACK' upgrade pack as previously stated.

Brochures have not yet been produced so the INFINITI salesman is unable to confirm if any optional alloys will be included.

My question re 'warranty' is of a general nature as I have seen some stylish alloys at a local supplier.

You may be interested in logging on to the Infiniti web site and goto the 'CONFIGURATOR' link for the Q30. There you will see that you cannot choose alloys for the SE 1.6T Petrol Magnetic Red. (nor for most of the colour options). The' CITY BLACK' upgrade only includes colours Black, Blue & Graphite.

Hopefully the situation will change when sale are up and running from January 2016.

Ignore the salesman and go to the parts dept.

The salesman will want his extra bit of commission for flogging you an extra £4700 of bits that you don't really want.

If you are buying 4 and they put it on a non urgent order they will probably be able to give you a bit off,

10% would be about average.

If you buy aftermarket make sure that they have exactly the same size offset et as the originals.

ie 6.5 j 16 et 38 if that is the original. don't buy anything different as if you do that and there are suspension or steering problems you'll be on your own.

and if you do fit anything else, new or aftermarket be sure to tell the insurance company.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 21/09/2015 at 14:01

Thanks for your advice especially the 'technical' tips re 'offset' etc.

So which model are you looking at. Only the high end models are for sale initially

For a car that price not to have alloys is a disgrace, and i might say it daylight robbery!

I am looking at the 'basic' SE which together with the higher spec SE 'City Black' are in fact the first model to go on sale. The Higher luxury spec 'Sport', 'Premium' & QX30 Crossover models will be several months later.

The basic SE 1.6T Petrol 5 door with 17" Steel wheels/covers is £19,780 in black + a woping £670 for any other colour = £20,450 for the Magnetic Red which I am considering. I would then expect to pay about £400 to £700 for private purchase 17" alloys from my local alloy-wheel supplier.

I think the overall specification of the Q30 is very good but although the model is brand new, I would obviously look for about 7% to 10% discount for cash.

The SE 1.6T Petrol 'City Black' with higher spec 'Technology Pack and 18" Alloy Wheels' in black is £25,160 + £670 for any other colour.

I am interested in the Q30 because I fell in love with the 'Concept' version when it was announced in 2013. However until I see it in the metal and test drive it in November I still have an open mind.

I also like the latest revised Mercedes' A' Class, Audi A3 S-Line and Mazda3. At present I drive a 4 year old Mazda3 Takuya and can afford to upgrade.

7 page Introductory Brochure now online with pic & basic info. Detailed specification listings & dimensions not yet available viz:

https://www.infiniti.co.uk/cars/brochure.html

New Infiniti Q30 1.6 SE - Alloy Wheels - Affect on Car Warranty - skidpan

Personally I would not even consider such an overpriced poorly specced car. Considering that I have yet to see a favorable review for any Infiniti in the UK press yet I thing you will find a better specced car from another manufacturer for far less money.

Look at the Seat Leon for starters, superb car and brilliant deals available at the ususal brokers. A 1.4 TSi (which comes with alloys) can be had for about £15000.

Even the BMW 1 series is better value and many consider that overpriced. Had one for 5 years and It was great but cramped in the rear. IMHO the Leon is a better car.

With the Infiniti all you are buying is a badge, people say that also applies to BMW's but they are good cars as well.

New Infiniti Q30 1.6 SE - Alloy Wheels - Affect on Car Warranty - gordonbennet

The general UK motoring press doesn't think much of it, excellent, a new car well worth considering then.

We had a thread recently from a chap with a current Infiniti suffering from the usual (with diamond cut and laquered) alloy wheel corrosion problems, ISTR Infiniti did exchange them under warranty, how readily they did this i can't recall...but it might be worth the OP bearing this in mind when buying alloys, presumably if you buy a set over the counter from the parts dept they might only have 12 months warranty, so buyer beware...a search here will probably find the thread, only about 6 months ago i think.

Maybe a quality set of aftermarket might be a better bet, i've got a set of Parotech wheels on the Benz which have been on some 10 years now and only last year did they need a quick spray up by my body chap, no corrosion at all.

New Infiniti Q30 1.6 SE - Alloy Wheels - Affect on Car Warranty - Falkirk Bairn

Q50s with a decent spec with under 1,000 miles under £23K....seems a lot better value than a Q30 with steel wheels @ £20K

Unfortuneately the larger Q50 won't fit on my driveway but certainly looks good.

New Infiniti Q30 1.6 SE - Alloy Wheels - Affect on Car Warranty - Falkirk Bairn

Unfortuneately the larger Q50 won't fit on my driveway but certainly looks good.

Breadth they are the same - length is 14" between Q30 & Q50 - tight drive!!!

The maximum length of car I can have is 4500mm. The Q50 is 4790mm, so I would not be able to close my gates behind the car once on the driveway. Anyway the Q50 is a saloon and I want a hatchback.