Ford Focus 2007 - TDCI Cutting when cold - Wilb14

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. I purchased a 2007 ford Focus 1.8 TDCI from a local independent garage a few months back. It has had issues starting from cold (cold engine and cold morning), at first it would start on the second attempt and it gradually got worse. It seems to only be an issue in the morning, the earlier and I suppose colder, the less likely it is to start.

Once it starts it will start fine all day. It's also more likely to start in the morning if it's been run late the night before. I returned the car back to the garage who have had it in / out of their workshop for the past month, they don't seem to be able to diagnose the problem. It's also been to a ford dealer and they can't find anything either. Part of the problem being that the garage don't open until 9AM and by the point it usually works so the garage didn't ever see the fault in action, they did have a ford electrician take a look and he said all was looking fine but he updated the software or something.

The garage have just fitted a new fuel pump but this didn't appear to have any effect on the problem. After reading about the issue online, we cleaned the in take air sensor as it appeared to be dirty with oil etc. This led to the car starting perfectly for 3 cold mornings (colder than prior mornings where it failed). However today the car failed again this morning, after 15 minutes of trying it finaly fired when I put my foot on the gas at start up (This doesn't always work and was a last resort before I headed to the train station). The temp has been around 10C \ 50F

I should probably return it to the garage to sort but I need the car for work and can't really afford to be without it for another week. I took a video of the problem with my phone... I'm happy to take a day of work to try anything anyone can suggest. I'm getting pretty desperate with the colder mornings coming up.

I've read about anti shutter valves causing issues on the 1.6 and 2.0 but I don't think mine has one?

This is what it does...

https://youtu.be/pkiMKJK1N6c

Any advice?

Ford Focus 2007 - TDCI Cutting when cold - elekie&a/c doctor
Has the fuel filter been replaced recently?I would also get the battery checked.The engine needs to spin at a good rate from cold otherwise it will not fire up.