What to consider - Buying a new car - Ben Frank

Great guide from Sainsbury's Bank to buying a new car. Although the recent drop in Diesel prices tell a different story...

www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/money-matters/buying-a-ne...l

Edited by Ben Frank on 06/08/2015 at 11:30

What to consider - Buying a new car - slkfanboy

Diesel prices are a hard one as we dont know if this the new norm or just short term

What to consider - Buying a new car - jc2

Diesel prices are a hard one as we dont know if this the new norm or just short term

Apparently there have been new refineries built that only produce diesel.

What to consider - Buying a new car - Smileyman

The rather dramatic reduction in diesel prces has the potential to be a game changer for motorists when buying a new car, it makes diesel cars so much cheaper to own / run than petrol cars .. but there are still the wild cards out there to be considered, eg

1) future reliability of all the tech & hardware to get the cars meet emissions regulations,

2) possible tax changes in the future to change the playing field v petrol, and of course the real joker in the pack,

3) as the overseas refineries are producing diesel at such low prices will they force the existing UK refineries to go bust thus enabling a price rise without competition?

What to consider - Buying a new car - brum

I wouldnt call 5p/litre reduction relative to diesel dramatic.

Depreciation has always been and still is the major hit for car buyers.

What to consider - Buying a new car - steelghost

My Dad used to buy 2-3 yo cars and keep them until they were uneconomic to repair (not necessarily more than the car was worth, but until he felt the cost of any repair was better put towards repalcement). The problem with doing that on modern diesels is the amount of kit that can go wrong and cost you an arm and a leg. You'd have to be doing an awful lot of miles to cover a £2000 bill for engine repairs. And if you buy a new car to get around that with a manufacturer's warranty, then you're back to square 1 getting nailed by the depreciation again.

When the engineering normalises they may find ways to make these engines more durable over the longer term, but for now this feels like relatively rushed measures added to keep up with emissions legislation (not that I have a problem with that per se - but it is keeping manufacturers on their toes!)

Edited by steelghost on 10/08/2015 at 10:22

What to consider - Buying a new car - Leif

Not meaning to be rude to the OP, but it does seem a bit obvious. And fuel prices are variable. As said, new tax might come in targeting diesel, new emissions zones might appear etc etc.

What to consider - Buying a new car - bazza

The EU is falling out of favour quite quickly with diesel power, with moves to ban in Paris, plus it's talked about in London. I expect future tax changes to be diesel - adverse plus the frightening complexity of Euro 6 versions puts me right off. Especially as I buy at 3 years plus usually, so will stick in future to petrol, Japanese, well proven motors---although the choice is becoming increasingly small.

What to consider - Buying a new car - Engineer Andy

Indeed - given how the higher harmful effects of on health of diesel-powered vehicles has now been very publicly highlighted, I personally can't see a future (at least in the EU) for it for ordinary cars - with legislators now turning against diesel big time, forcing manufacturers to make their cars even more complex (as bazza says) and petrol engine technologies (e.g. small turbo varieties), petrol hybrids and (eventually) fuel cell/full electric [battery] technology coming good, only those wanting to haul heavy loads will be needing to use diesel.

The days of people (erroneously, in my view) buying diesel-engined cars when doing less than 20,000 - 25,000 miles p.a. because they think they'll 'save money' by virtue of just higher mpg figures is soon to be over.