Motability - Glasgow26

I currently have a car under the Motability scheme - my brother is disabled and I'm the nominated driver. However, I've been thinking of coming out of the scheme (buying my own car which my brother will still have the use of) - do you think its better to stay in the scheme or come out of it? Due to the nature of my brother's illness, he won't be around forever and my way of thinking is that I will need to branch out on my own at some point anyway, so might as well be now.

Edited by Glasgow26 on 18/05/2015 at 22:54

Motability - slkfanboy

After the 3yr term you could purchase the car and do it that way.

Motability - Glasgow26

I thought about doing that - but I can buy a brand new car at the moment. I don't know if its worth coming out of the scheme or staying in it.

Motability - Fernando P

You will need to do the thinking and the calculations!

Motability - Mike H

As has been said, you have to work it out & make the choice. My parents had a motability car, and I know that all they had to do was to put fuel in, which you already know. Being in their late 70s, they decided it was a good deal simply for the lack of hassle. My mother had a stroke a couple of months before the 3-year contract ran out, and while they were in the process of choosing the next one. My father bought the outgoing one, because after 3 years he found it was ideal for his needs (Peugeot Partner Tepee).

He paid a reasonable price for it - it wasn't cheap, but not top price either. It had less than 20,000 miles on it after 3 years, and he knew it had been properly looked after, never misfuelled, and with all the niggles sorted. For him, it was again a good deal.