Volkswagen Passat 2.0 Tdi Cr 2.0 2008 - Engine cutting out - VW & Seat owner

I have had my Passats engine cutting out three times now. It has always started and have driven off for a short while then stalls.

The first time the car wouldn't re-start, even for the RAC and didn't show any fault codes.

The last time the car started to shudder badly then cut out.

Is this an ECU fault?

All help would be appreciated.

Volkswagen Passat 2.0 Tdi Cr 2.0 2008 - Engine cutting out - elekie&a/c doctor
Very unlikely to be an ecu fault.with no fault codes stored,it may be a fuel filter issue.Has this been replaced recently?
Volkswagen Passat 2.0 Tdi Cr 2.0 2008 - Engine cutting out - Railroad.
A faulty injector could be the cause. They're piezo quartz and not unknown to fail on these, and if one injector does fail then the ECM will shut down the others to prevent damage. You need a proper scantool and take some live data readings. Check the VAG forums for someone with VCDS. I have it and I'm in Hampshire if that helps.
Volkswagen Passat 2.0 Tdi Cr 2.0 2008 - Engine cutting out - GordonK

Hi There

This is worth checking My car VW Passat 2.0 tdi Sport 2008 with 125,000 miles has been having problems for a while and VW couldnt seem to get the problem solved.

What my car would do is start up fine on a frosty morning and then after about a mile it would just cut out and would eventually start by winding it over and over

I took it to VW and they said it was coming up with a fault on No. 4 injector so they suggested I have the injector wiring loom replaced as this is a common fault, i did this and it seemed fine for a couple of weeks and then a frosty morning and it broke down after about a mile same problem, went back to VW and they said it was showing a fault on No. 2 injector and quoted me a large bill to replace the injectors.

I was not happy with their diagnosis as at first they were saying it was No.4 injector and now it was No.2 this car had had the recall early in its life so I thought injectors should be fine and I didnt want them guessing with my money.

I took the car to a small independant garage that I trust and asked them to have a look, They found out that the low pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank was not working they said that this pump primes the fuel to the secondry pump on the engine and then it can pull the fuel through, on a frosty morning the diesel fuel is much heavier and that is why the engine pump could not pull it up without the tank pump working.

Now this made sense as the fuel in the filter bowl was enough to get me a mile down the road and then cut out.

Fuel pump changed and the car is running great I am plesed to say so I would advise you get the tank pump checked

Hope this helps anyone with the same proble

Its a bit late in the day for your problem but anyone same problem it might be the answer

Volkswagen Passat 2.0 Tdi Cr 2.0 2008 - Engine cutting out - Audi, VW & Kawasaki Owner

Help needed - I have a similar problem, or at least 'seems related' problem. My VW Passat started loosing power on the motorway - power would drop away then come back again, once off the motorway it was inclined to cut out, did cut out once but restarted and ran but with previously mentioned issues, however stopped playing up and got me home.

Took it out later and it broke down and left me stranded on the side of the road.

I took it home and plugged in VCDS - now whilst I have VCDS I do not profess to being able to use it, other than to read fault codes, reset service interval and put hand break into service mode!

Fault code said Engine speed sender failure - so I replaced the engines speed sender, (what a pleasure that was) no joy!

I did some conventional fault finding, starting with pulling a hose off the fuel filter and switching on the ignition - no fuel. Turned over the enginer with the hose off, still no fuel.

I did some checks and replaced the tank located fuel pump and now have lots of fuel at the filter. The engine now runs and will rev up freely in neutral, however when I put into gear and put load on the engine it cut's out every time.

A little history of the car - shortly after I had it the enginer warning light came on, injector failure, although it still ran with no problem. I replaced four injectors and four glow plugs about a year ago.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Volkswagen Passat 2.0 Tdi Cr 2.0 2008 - Engine cutting out - dieselnut

If your's is the CR engine it has two fuel pumps.

The in-tank one that you have replaced & a roller cell type pump between the filter & high pressure pump on the engine.

It is located to the left of the engine when stood in front with the bonnet up.

Just follow the rubber fuel pipe from the filter.

Located on a metal bracket suspended on rubber bungs.

It runs only while the engine is running.

Would have thought you would have low fuel pressure codes though.

Edited by dieselnut on 28/08/2018 at 15:12

Volkswagen Passat 2.0 Tdi Cr 2.0 2008 - Engine cutting out - Audi, VW & Kawasaki Owner

Engine code is a BKP, tandem pump is on the right end of the engine. I am now starting to consider could this also be at fault? Is there any way of testing this? I have looked into Elsawin and it says plug into VW Diagnostic testing M/C - which obviously I do not have.

I came across a video on line by an American chap - his tandem pump ate it's self, tore metal particals off the pump and sent them into the injectors destroying his injectors, back into the fuel tank, which were picked up by the tank fuel pump, destroying the fuel pump amd back into the filter clogging the fuel filter. Has anybody had any experience of this? Is it a common occurrence - I think not as I have only found one mention of this but need to ask and hopefully rule it out.

BKP is not a common rail engine .This is a Pd type with mechanical/electric injectors.There is a test port on the side of the tandem pump to check the fuel pressure value. You will need a special gauge for this.These rarely break up. Where did the crank sensor come from? If this was a non genuine VW part, then you have wasted your time fitting it.

Thank you for your reply - it is very much appreciated.

The engine speed sender came from TPS in Reading - they sell VAG parts and it is a VW part.

So you know who manufactures a suitable gauge for this? I have checked Google and found lots ot You Tube videos showing gauges but not showing how the test was done!

Forgot to say thank you for your reply - it is very much appreciated.

It is possible to buy the correct Vw gauge from Tps,if they have the time to look it up on their parts finder. More info on the fuel suppply here; www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_316.pdf

Thankk's Doc, thats very helpful - where did you find that!

WIll phone TPS when they open at 8AM!

Volkswagen Passat 2.0 Tdi Cr 2.0 2008 - Engine cutting out - 3uga

you sould tri to check the chepest things posiblem.
At first, get a new fuel filter, chen tank fuel pump, check egr valve.
Then go to checking injectors

A little update - I got to the bottom of the problem - I changed the fuel filter and it runs and drives perfectly.

When I changed the fuel pump I noticed there was dirt in the fuel tank that should not be there, however stupidly I decided that it was just dirt that accumulated there over the life of the car - 10 years.

It now appears that the dirt destroyed the fuel pump and clogged up the fuel filter.

When I changed the pump it was an evening after I had gotten home from work and I was not prepared to empty and clean the fuel tank. I had no way of emptying the tank, no where to put the diesel, no way of disposing of the dirty fuel - so I put the new pump into the dirty tank.

Now I know the cause was the dirt in the fuel tank I will pull the pump out again, pump out the tank and clean the rubbish out of the tank.

Learning curves can be steep somtiimes!

Edited by Audi, VW & Kawasaki Owner on 05/09/2018 at 08:54

Hi all, there were further updates on progress but I forgot to put them on the site so by way of rounding up the saga of the Passat -

As above I had replaced the fuel pump and it ran perfectly - on the drive. I didn't want to drive it in case I pulled more crap out of the tan and damage the new fuel pump so I left it on the drive until the following weekend.

The following weekend I pulled the new fuel pump out of the fuel tank out and cleaned out the tank. Replaced the pump added fresh fuel and it ran perfectly - on the drive.

I took it for a drive, got about ten meters off my drive and the problem re-occurred, no power, barely able to keep it running - I was afraid to take it out of first gear in case it stalled and I could not get it moving again. I drove around the block and put it back on the drive - swearing all the way!

I put the computer on it again and it once again said the engine speed sender had failed! How can that be? Enough was enough, this was clearly beating me into submission and I needed to bite the bullet and hand it to somebody that knew more about the car than I did.

I found a VW technician that was now working for himself. I explained everything that I had gone through and let him free on the car. Within an hour he had found and repaired the broken wire leading from the Engine Speed Sender to the ECU!

Problem solved.