Difference between a petrol and a diesel car? - geek84

Hi Folks

I am in the process of buying a new car, and still deciding whether I should go for a petrol or a diesel engine. Can someone please explain the difference?

I will only be using the car on short distances and only be driving long distances - going on the motor way about half a dozen times in the year.

Thanks in advance for you responses.

Difference between a petrol and a diesel car? - quizman

Most of the answers to your many questions can be found in the Beano, found in all good news shops.

Difference between a petrol and a diesel car? - Bromptonaut

If you're doing all or mostly short distance petrol is likely to be better bet unless you're looking at cars over 10yrs old.

Difference between a petrol and a diesel car? - FP

"Most of the answers to your many questions can be found in the Beano..."

Unless you are absolutely sure the OP was a wind-up, this is a patronising comment (thank goodness, the only one so far).

Difference between a petrol and a diesel car? - Cyd

You should stick with petrol. Even if you are buying an older car, petrol engines will warm up quicker on those short trips during the winter.

Difference between a petrol and a diesel car? - John F

Hi Folks

I am in the process of buying a new car, and still deciding whether I should go for a petrol or a diesel engine. Can someone please explain the difference?

The main difference is that one has spark plugs and the other hasn't. It is essential that you do not confuse the fuel filler with the oil filler. One of these is usually under the bonnet, unless you own an old VW Beetle.

Difference between a petrol and a diesel car? - hillman

From the Chambers dictionary :

geek

n a circus or carnival freak; a strange or eccentric person, a creep or misfit; someone who is obsessively enthusiastic, esp about computers.

[British dialect geck a fool]

geeky adj.

I think it may be necessary to change your alias to stop the snide remarks.

We all learned something along our respective lines. The main difference between petrol and diesel engines is that the petrol engine uses petrol, which quickly evaporates if you spill it, and the diesel engine uses diesel oil, which doesn’t. If one is clumsy on the forecourt and spill fuel, petrol is quickly gone, but diesel oil gets under one’s feet and the feet of those that follow you at the pump. Also, if you get diesel oil on your hands it smells for a long time despite washing.

The engines in lorries buses and trains are almost invariably diesel.

The difference between the two types of engine in cars is that the diesel is marginally more fuel efficient but more polluting.

In the long term diesel engines need more spending on them.

Difference between a petrol and a diesel car? - scot22

I only started visiting forums a couple of years ago - too late ! I had already bought a diesel. My motoring is not dissimilar to yours. Diesel is unsuitable. Last year I had to pay around £1000 for a new DPF. In addition buying a diesel is more expensive.

I will not buy another diesel. I