BMW 3 Series Coupe - Lease/Company Car - 3 year lease too long? - sebnotts

Having had lease cars through my company for years I had always been very pleased, including in recent years a Seat Leon (2006) and Audi A3 (2008). I then moved away from hatchbacks to a BMW 320d coupe. It was a fantastic car for the first two years, but by this point my firm had moved to three year contracts, and in the last year it felt like everything went wrong with it.

It was in the garage every few weeks, although not at a cost to me it was incredibly frustrating never to have 'your' car. By the time I got rid of it last month, it was overheating, going into limp mode and making some incredibly odd noises (from the clutch / flywheel). I do around 30,000 miles a year and the lease company do all the servicing you'd expect, no expense spared.

Was this just bad luck with this particular car or a result of three year lease over two year lease? FYI Avoid AK60XZN if you are in the market for ex-lease.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Lease/Company Car - 3 year lease too long? - Collos25

Most lease cars have the absolute minimum spent of them at service time to maximise their profits and try to put of any major work hoping the lease will end first.,

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Lease/Company Car - 3 year lease too long? - leaseman

This may apply to cars on "non-maintained" contracts, where the operators of the car are loathe to spend money towards the end of the contract period, but the fear of corporate culpibility in the event of a failure has reduced this considerably.

In many years of experience, this is definitely not the case where the leasing company is responsible for maintenance issues. I.e. A fully maintained contract.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Lease/Company Car - 3 year lease too long? - Collos25

Your knowledge on leasing is quite invaluable but I think you are looking through rose tinted glasses to much.No lease company is going to pay for a new clutch and flywheel on a car that has a few weeks of the lease to live if it can get away with it,I have dealt with a number of lease companies in my time and they are on a par with after market warranty companies difficult to deal with and their only interest is profit (like most companies).

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Lease/Company Car - 3 year lease too long? - leaseman

The manufacturers or importers work very closely with leasing companies and independent "whole life cost" companies, such as Kee Resources to ensure that their models score highly in terms of low depreciation and low maintenance costs. Otherwise, the perceived residual values are low and the cost of keeping the car properly maintained over set periods and mileages rocket.

If that happens, lease rentals follow the upward curve and their cars become uncompetitive in the massive leasing market place. Hence, it is in the interests of the manufacturer to ensure that they make heavy contributions to leasing companies for, for instance, failed Dual Mass Flywheels (and consequential clutch replacement), Diesel Particulate Filters etc. This type of ex-gratia support is very rarely seen by private or even corporate buyers.

It is, therefore, now more economically viable for leasing companies to approve repairs, rather than suffer a massive loss at auction when selling a car with a very obvious fault.

Going back to the original posting, a modern day car should be easily capable of covering 90,000 miles without major unexpected problems. But only if the service and maintenance schedule is followed to the letter. And I have to say that many business drivers do not seem to be able to interpret the (admittedly often confused and confusing) handbook and instructions that accompany the car.