Tax exempt 1974 - bananas1234
Hi. My car was manufactured in summer 1973 as per the chassis engine numbers but registered in march 1974.
Do you think i qualify for nil tax ?
Tax exempt 1974 - Dwight Van Driver

Historic vehicle = built before 1st Jamuary 1973 so it would appear DVLA will say No.

But...to make absolutely certain speak to your locxal DVLA Office.

dvd

Tax exempt 1974 - skidpan

Even though just about every classic site and mag refer to "cars manufactured prior to 01 Jan 1974" I am 100% certain it wil be decided on the date of registration. Imagine the arguments if all owners had to prove the exact date their car was made. Don't panic though, you will get it free next year.

Tax exempt 1974 - skidpan

Historic vehicle = built before 1st Jamuary 1973

Date changes on 01 April this year and every year in the future on a rolling basis. Its the definition of "manufactured date" or "registered date" that is the issue.

Tax exempt 1974 - artill

As has been said, until April only cars made in 1972 or earlier get free road tax. The date is moving forward 1 year. when it was announced in last years budget it was a one off, but it maybe now a rolling exemption. I certainly hope it will be.

Where you car was made in 1972, but not registered until 1973 a certificate from British Motor Herritage or simelar would support a case for 'historic' status, and free road tax. The situation will be the same for your car after April

Look up the owners club for your car, there is bound to be one, and speak to them. They will be able to advice where to get a certificate to prove when your car was made, then after April you will be able to apply for 'Historic' status.