Fiat Panda - Parking with the front wheels straight - or not? - Benet

Hi all

I tend to park the Panda and the other car, an old Honda Shuttle, by reversing into a car park space and by the time the car is straight, the wheels tend to be at an angle. I wonder, does leaving a car like this all day/night put any strain on driveshafts, rubber boots, grommets, suspension parts, etc. ??

Fiat Panda - Parking with the front wheels straight - or not? - oldroverboy.

Don't know about the strain on the car, but a friend left her nissan primera with the wheels at a severe angle and it got swiped by a hilux which almost knocked the wheel off, lots of suspension steering damage.

Make the target as small as possible.

Fiat Panda - Parking with the front wheels straight - or not? - Doc

I Wonder, does leaving a car like this all day/night put any strain on driveshafts, rubber boots, grommets, suspension parts, etc. ??

In a word, no! Cars are designed to allow for movement of the front wheels.

Fiat Panda - Parking with the front wheels straight - or not? - dan86

I dont understand what this has hos to do with the original post.

(Refers to a spam post which has been deleted.)

Edited by Avant on 02/01/2014 at 20:37

Fiat Panda - Parking with the front wheels straight - or not? - alan1302

I dont understand what this has hos to do with the original post.

It is a bit odd!

Fiat Panda - Parking with the front wheels straight - or not? - mss1tw

It's a spam bot. That text probably appears somewhere else on this site from a legitamate poster.

Fiat Panda - Parking with the front wheels straight - or not? - Avant

I've hidden the offending post as the pseudonym was advertising a car parking company.

Fiat Panda - Parking with the front wheels straight - or not? - Smileyman

I also always back into a parking bay - that is because one cold wet winters day soon after I passed the driving test a child ran out behind my car as I backed out of a parkign bay - the child did not understand reversing lights and the rear window was misted up so impossible to see though (door mirrors wet and useless too).I think it is safer and should be mandatory for parking.

Getting back to the issue of front wheels, I always leave them at an angle - in some places it's mandatory to do so. If parked on an incline make sure your wheels are facing the kerb ... if your brakes fail the car will roll into the kerb, not the roadway (as one is told in San Francisco) - the second reason is to make harder for someone to jack up and tow, most unlikely I know, but with the rear wheels locked by the handbrake and front wheels facing sideways it gives the tower little option to work with. Does not have to be full lock, just a slight turn will do the job. As for strain on the mechanicals, I've never experienced that in over 30 years of driving - and car serviced by main dealer who I am sure would not hesitate to specifiy necessary work if required.

Fiat Panda - Parking with the front wheels straight - or not? - mss1tw

I also always back into a parking bay - that is because one cold wet winters day soon after I passed the driving test a child ran out behind my car as I backed out of a parkign bay - the child did not understand reversing lights and the rear window was misted up so impossible to see though (door mirrors wet and useless too).I think it is safer and should be mandatory for parking.

I thought it was illegal to reverse into parking spaces in some states. Crazy logic. I much prefer reversing in, easier to judge the lines, and safer to leave.

Fiat Panda - Parking with the front wheels straight - or not? - RT

I thought it was illegal to reverse into parking spaces in some states. Crazy logic. I much prefer reversing in, easier to judge the lines, and safer to leave.

Because cars have no front registration plate in those states - the traffic police just need to drive along a parking lot checking plates as they're all visible.

Even in states where reverse parking is legal, it's just not done - except by Brits in hire cars!

Fiat Panda - Parking with the front wheels straight - or not? - Hamsafar

Reversing in is by far the best and easiest, as you can look for hazards as you pull up to park before you reverse in. If you reverse out of a space, so many new hazards can arrive by the time you have all got in, put on belts, started the car etc..

It is also easier, as cars are front-wheel-steer, so the front end will be swinging side to side and so it is easier if the driver's ability to steer is not restricted by the narrow width of the space.

I wouldn't park with crooked wheels as they could get swiped as previously said.

Parking for long periods such as at an airport while away on full lock is probably bad for CV boots.

Worse though, is applying full lock when stuck on ice and snow. The wheel spinning fast and being turned either way will stress the cold, hard rubber boot and reduce it's life.

2.bp.blogspot.com/-SLJbA6wjJFU/UM19h4ZKTlI/AAAAAAA...g

Edited by Hamsafar on 03/01/2014 at 09:34