1999 HDi Instrument Panel - davidwoakes
I've recently bought a 306 HDi and looking at the Tachometer there is a guage which is backlit when the ignition is first switched on and stays on for a short time after the engine is started. The guage goes from Min to Max and give no indication of what it is showing. Occasionally it flashes instead of being steady.

David

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/10/2009 at 14:25

Peugeot 306 HDi Instrument Panel - Ross_D
Its the oil level gauge. Sounds like its working fine, though Im not sure what the flashing means, try reading the owners manual.
HTH
RossD
Peugeot 306 HDi Instrument Panel - Andrew-T
David - doesn't your car have a handbook? That gauge is an oil-level indicator which shows for about 10-15 seconds after starting. Better check to see if the flashes are a message or a fault.
Peugeot 306 HDi Instrument Panel - davidwoakes
Duh. You are quite right. I got confused as the handbook I got doesn't cover the HDi at all. There is no mention of what the flashing means though.
Peugeot 306 HDi Instrument Panel - Andrew-T
David - I have one of the earliest 306 HDis, on a T-plate, and its manual has an illustration of the oil-level indicator (tho' the handbook was too early to print the fuel consumption). Shall have to look tomorrow if it mentions flashing. Mine has never flashed, as far as I know.
Peugeot 306 HDi Instrument Panel - guitarnut
The flashing oil level gauge means you are below the minimum oil level. Time to check the dip stick in the engine bay (sticks out with a round hoop on the end) and top up if necessary.

Edited by guitarnut on 10/10/2009 at 22:26