Ford Fiesta - ford fiesta 2000 'w' reg 1.25 zetec oil burning - goodwinsally67

hi all i have a year 2000 fiesta 1.25 zetec with 123000 miles on the clock, its always used oil and been holding back when you put your foot down, about a month ago i did a long journey at motorway speeds for nearly 2 hours there and 2 hours back, the day after on start up it kicked a cloud of smoke out of the exhaust but has never done it since while starting up, now the car smokes bad after a long period on engine overun intermitantly and when you put your foot down it now holds back with a 'pinking' sound and clouds of smoke constantly , has anybody any ideas whether this fault is something like valve stem seals, or am i just looking at a tired engine, its difficult to tell colour of smoke though rear view mirror but i'm assuming this is where the oil is going

Ford Fiesta - ford fiesta 2000 'w' reg 1.25 zetec oil burning - mfarrow

These engines will require 5W30 oil otherwise the valve guides start to wear quite badly. Yours has probably done this, and nothing but a new head or engine can solve it.

What colour is the smoke out the exhaust?

Ford Fiesta - ford fiesta 2000 'w' reg 1.25 zetec oil burning - jc2

Smoking after overun sounds like valve stem seals-which should stop the oil ever getting as far as the stems which could also be worn.

Ford Fiesta - ford fiesta 2000 'w' reg 1.25 zetec oil burning - goodwinsally67

Thanks for the replies, The smoke just looks light grey through the rear view mirror, i thought it probably would be valve stem seals but i remember my old 1600 cortina suffering with stem seals and that used to kick a cloud of smoke out on start up which my fiesta isn't doing apart from the once mentioned before, which is why i wondered if it could be something else with it pinking and holding back when accelerating hard , can the stem seals be done with the head still on. i made a tool years ago and did the seals on my cortina with the head on, if not am i looking at a head skim as well. just trying to weigh up whether its worth getting into engine strip on an old car where one thing will probably lead to another