BMW Series 118i - Damage to car by GRITTERS - ekimj10

Two weeks ago whilst driving on a quiet two lane country road at around 7.30pm, I was confronted by a local council gritting lorry coming towards me travelling at speed (more than 20 mph).

I pulled into the nearside and virtually stopped, but still caught a hefty deluge of grit/salt whatever was being used.

Following my car's first clean today since the incident, to my horror the full front bumper area and off side are full of tiny chips, could only have been caused by the gritter.

Do I have any recourse for claiming damage for the repair from the council? I guess it would be difficult to prove and if they did respond I'm guessing it would be 'not our fault' 'claim on your insurance'.

Anyone out there with advice or hopefully someone who successfully claimed.

BMW Series 118i - Damage to car by GRITTERS - bathtub tom

The problem is the council would be inundated with complaints if they didn't grit the roads, leaving them icy. How much more damage would be caused then?

Damned if they do - damned if they don't!

BMW Series 118i - Damage to car by GRITTERS - ekimj10

You are right, just felt very agrieved earlier on about lack of care on their side and potential respray and costs on my side. Probably won't take it further.

BMW Series 118i - Damage to car by GRITTERS - unthrottled

It's just part of motoring. As has been pointed out, the fiscal damage caused by not gritting would be far worse. Still upsetting though!

BMW Series 118i - Damage to car by GRITTERS - Avant

Given that gritting is a necessity, car makers, especially of supposedly prestige makes like BMW, should use paint that is resistant to chipping.

BMW Series 118i - Damage to car by GRITTERS - Alby Back

Quite so Avant.

BMW Series 118i - Damage to car by GRITTERS - barney100

Can't see any council paying out and the only thing you can do is try to keep clear of the gritters when they are spreading.

BMW Series 118i - Damage to car by GRITTERS - Collos25

Probably the damage was done over a long period and you only noticed it after you cleaned it which coincided with the gritter incident.If a gritter damages the paintwork so badly I would take the car back to BMW and ask them to paint it properly.

BMW Series 118i - Damage to car by GRITTERS - Sofa Spud

Small chips are part of everyday wear and tear of using a car on the road. Even if they were caused by the gritter, it would be difficult to prove.

BMW Series 118i - Damage to car by GRITTERS - daveyK_UK

The beauty of non colour bumpers!

BMW Series 118i - Damage to car by GRITTERS - FocusLgd

I doubt anyone would be able to make a claim. The joys of motoring!

BMW Series 118i - Damage to car by GRITTERS - Slashy

Two weeks ago whilst driving on a quiet two lane country road at around 7.30pm, I was confronted by a local council gritting lorry coming towards me travelling at speed (more than 20 mph).

I pulled into the nearside and virtually stopped, but still caught a hefty deluge of grit/salt whatever was being used.

Following my car's first clean today since the incident, to my horror the full front bumper area and off side are full of tiny chips, could only have been caused by the gritter.

Do I have any recourse for claiming damage for the repair from the council? I guess it would be difficult to prove and if they did respond I'm guessing it would be 'not our fault' 'claim on your insurance'.

Anyone out there with advice or hopefully someone who successfully claimed.

The same thing happened to me tonight. I had the misfortune to pass two gritters, less than half a mile apart (on the opposite side of the road to me). Both of them were travelling in excess of 30mph and my car was hit with force by a load of grit.

Before tonight my windscreen was chip-free and I haven't had the car long (also a BMW). Now it is covered in chips. I haven't dared fully inspect the paintwork.....

I know they have a job to do, but it seems that the days of gritters travelling at a slow speed and only gritting one side of the road at a time, are long gone. In 30 years of motoring I have never had a car damaged by gritters - until today.

I've sent an email to the council. I'm not expecting much from them, especially as I have a friend who works for another council, who is adamant that gritters do not damage cars....

Edited by Slashy on 05/04/2013 at 00:39