Coolant sensor - swlee
My 1999 ZX 1.9D has 3 temperature sensors mounted on the thermastat housing just beneath the fuel filter. 2 infront and one at the back.

Can anyone tell me the exact function of each sensor.

My cooling fans[dual] was modified by the previous onwner and runs continuosly [1 speed] irrespective of coolant temperature. i need to rectify this.

Does the XUD engine cooling fans run on two speeds and how can i rewired it.

Many thanks in anticipation
Coolant sensor - M.M
Unless you have aircon isn't the rad fan temp switch in the radiator? The usual way for someone to fiddle this to run all the while is to bridge terminals at this switch.

Depending on model the temp switches around the thermostat are for temp gauge, overheat lamp, glowplug relay, EGR system sensor or aircon sensor.

MM
Coolant sensor - Shigg
I think that the fact that the fan's been rigged should be a warning. I think my brother did this after his BX diesel boiled without warning wrecking the head gasket, warping the head, etc. Good thing about Rovers using the PSA engines is that they fit a temperature gauge.

Steve.
Coolant sensor - swlee
I bought the car after the 1st owner clocked 114,000Km.

the engine is in pristine condition. the is no indication of any repair made to the engine including timing belt replacement!

subsequent timing belt replacement confirm this.

the cooling system was rigged probably after light frontal accident damage. It is now running on two Denso Japanese fans mounted to the shroud with cable ties!

the car come with a temperature gauge and a high temperature warning light.

Can you help me with the rewiring back to the original configuration.

Thks
Coolant sensor - swlee
There isn't any sensor mounted on the radiator. I have refer to the Haynes manual but it indicates two sensors on the XUD 1.9.

The car comes with airconditioning. Can you help me to indicate the right sensor for the fan so that i can rewire it correctly.

Many thks.

swlee
Coolant sensor - M.M
Sadly as your car has aircon it means the fans are controlled by the same electronics as your aircon system.

This would be why you have no rad sensor, one of the ones on the t.stat housing inputs to the aircon controller and this then turns the fans on and off.

I think you need checks by someone who can look at the car and is experienced in this system...it is pretty complicated to deal with over a forum.

MM