Police on the buses - mobile phones - Random

I hadn't heard of this before now although via a search engine found other forces are doing it. Good on them if it catches more i****s who think the police aren't watchiing.

uk.news.yahoo.com/police-launch-campaign-catch-mot...l

Police on the buses - mobile phones - movilogo

They tried with lorries previously. I think lorries are too high and car's roof covers phone usage. So bus is a better bet. Lorries were good for nicking lorry drivers though.

Police on the buses - mobile phones - SLO76
Great idea, as a bus driver myself I see countless ignorant m****s every day texting away on their phones while driving. Mostly young women, but white van man is very guilty also. Police sat on a decker running through the town would catch dozens of them daily in my home town, word would soon get around.
Police on the buses - mobile phones - Chris M

The police would need to hire a lorry and driver whereas the bus is there anyway.*

VFM.

* I'm assuming, the article seems to read that way, that it's a regular bus route with paying passengers.

Edited by Chris M on 05/03/2024 at 11:19

Police on the buses - mobile phones - Adampr

Could they not just use the cameras that buses are festooned with?

Police on the buses - mobile phones - daveyjp

When on the phone I often stand at the lounge or front bedroom windows which gives me a perfect view into cars on the street.

If I were paid £100 every time I saw someone on their phone I could work between 8 and 9 and earn enough to have the rest of the day off!

Police on the buses - mobile phones - Heidfirst

The police would need to hire a lorry and driver whereas the bus is there anyway.*

VFM.

* I'm assuming, the article seems to read that way, that it's a regular bus route with paying passengers.

afaik the lorries were generally used on motorways/dual carriageways etc. to catch other truckers on their mobiles. Many (all?) police forces have HGV qualified officers.

Police on the buses - mobile phones - honestjones

This is interesting! It sounds like an effective program in deterring drivers using their phones.

Police on the buses - mobile phones - Terry W

It may be a win-win. Bus fares are cheaper than squad cars!!

Police on the buses - mobile phones - Manatee

Excellent idea. I constantly see people texting/checking FB or whatever, and making handheld calls in cars that more likely than not are bluetooth-equipped.