This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - HGV ~ P Valentine

‘Dangerous' new EU driving licence changes could still come to the UK despite Brexit (msn.com)

They are thinking of allowing 17 year old's to get their HGV, which might or might not come to the uk, either way, they can still drive here in the uk under the license from their own country if it happens. I think it is way too young to be in charge of a 40+ ton vehicle.

Edited by HGV ~ P Valentine on 12/12/2023 at 21:57

This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - focussed

From the website you linked to:-

Under new EU proposals, 17-year-olds would be allowed to drive heavy goods vehicles (HGV's) UNDER AN ACCOMPANIED DRIVER SCHEME.

You can drive large vehicles professionally if both of the following apply:

You’ll also need:

So not that easy.

Edited by focussed on 13/12/2023 at 00:11

This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - daveyjp

The best way of not being scared by such things it to stop believing clickbait 'news' from MSN.

Or as the post above, read it then do your own research to get to the actual facts.

This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - Maxime.

Worried about some one taking your job? No need apparently still a shortage...

But can a HGV learner go straight to c+E ?

Nowadays, there are digital tachometers, some relay information over the internet to fleet managers, annual CPD courses anf elf and safety stuff as well.

Perhaps our resident 40 year (ish) HGV driver GB could shed a bit of his wisdom on the subject, It would be far more believable.

This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - Brit_in_Germany

17 year olds can already drive large goods vehicles.

Exemptions to driving rules for military drivers - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - Bromptonaut

If I've read the article correctly the current UK age for LGVs is 18 but the government have consulted on reducing it.

EU are also considering some changes which appear to allow 17year olds to drive accompanied, presumably so they're ready for the test asap once 18.

Either way it looks as if the candidate needs to have a full car licence as a pre-requisite.

TBH I'd think decent training, whether it starts at 17 plus time to pass on a car or at 18, is what matters.

We used to have Sammy quoting stuff which MSN had aggregated to try an alarm us. Nothing he exposed ever worried me. This one is from the Express which, years after we left, still cannot get out of the EU = bogeyman under the bed mode.

This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - FP

"We used to have Sammy quoting stuff which MSN had aggregated to try an alarm us. Nothing he exposed ever worried me. This one is from the Express which, years after we left, still cannot get out of the EU = bogeyman under the bed mode."

Agreed. I would add that the DE provides excellent entertainment for the ludicrous click-bait it offers and more particularly for the readers' comments. If you can bring yourself to disagree with, and thereby wind up, some of the Boris fan-club members there, or the pro-Truss or pro-Farage people, or the xenophobic Brexiteers, your efforts will be richly rewarded.

This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - gordonbennet

I'm not a great fan of those under 21 being in charge of large goods vehicles, as i understand it the move to allow 18 year olds was part of a HGV apprenticeship scheme, it wasn't just another industry move to keep wages low in the sector...armed forces is a different thing entirely.

Maxime, the alleged driver shortage never was, what there was (and still is) is a shortage of skilled experienced professional drivers prepared to work for peanut hourly rates and only making a living wage by working 60/70 hour weeks and sleeping in laybys...there's ways around the 48 hour average week by usiing one particular setting on the tachograph.

There are huge numbers of still licenced skilled HGV drivers who have been demoralised deskilled dumbed down belittled unappreciated overworked underpaid and have said to hell with it and found other work, that's the shortage.

The 'shortage' was yet another example as if we didn't have enough of overhyped media driven fearmongering, decent employers never had any shortage of good drivers wanting to work for them, the ones who had no drivers paid peanuts and treated their staff poorly and got exactly what anyone would expect in return, the poor paying side of the industry also made a huge song and dance about this 'shortage' probably in the hope the govt would release taxpayer funds (govts have no money other that what they borrow or take from the people) to train hundreds of people already out of work who never wanted to be lorry drivers anyway so the poor payers could continue paying peanuts.

Whilst the govt did start paying for some training invariably those who really wanted to be lorry drivers (who usually make the the best ones because they want to learn and improve continually) couldn't get the funding either and somehow found around £3500 themselves, politicians, bah.

Luckily many employers worried by this shortage awarded large pay increases to retain and recruit, so some good came of it all, other employers who always offered good terms and conditions wondered what all the fuss was about.

going back to my first sentence, i paid for and passed my class 1 (you can once again go straight for an artic licence) at age 21, that was young enough, luckily i'd cut my teeth on 7.5 tonners for 3 years previously so knew what the job was about and had covered many thousands of miles learning my way about, and just how little grip truck tyres have in the wet!, on something small, i still believe this is the best way to start out rather than being thrown in the deep end with a full weight artic, and they're all too easy to drive now so people get complacent, the contact points of rubber on the road haven't changed much in 46 years.

Can absolutely guarantee no 18 year olds will be driving trucks where i work, we have age and experience restrictions, they will however put the odd suitable driver who have proven themselves for several years on our rigids through the artic test if they have a rigid only licence.

Oh and on the subject of laybys, during the recent covid farce people in the gov made politicians promises of new facilities for hgv drivers, after they realised for the first time in their privelidged lives that we exist as more than what they sc***ed off their brogues and that we provide a necessary service...am yet to see any of these new facilities and won't be holding my breath in the future awaiting their opening...the situation is dire for female HGV drivers in particular re toilet facilities, you can't just abandon a 60ft long vehicle anywhere and dash off into a loo if it doesn't exist, the WC situation for everyone in the UK is a national disgrace, as are many other things.

Sorry for the extra long post, got a bit carried away there.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/12/2023 at 16:14

This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - alan1302

h of overhyped media driven fearmongering, decent employers never had any shortage of good drivers wanting to work for them, the ones who had no drivers paid peanuts and treated their staff poorly and got exactly what anyone would expect in return, the poor paying side of the industry also made a huge song and dance about this 'shortage' probably in the hope the govt would release taxpayer funds (govts have no money other that what they borrow or take from the people) to train hundreds of people already out of work who never wanted to be lorry drivers anyway so the poor payers could continue paying peanuts.

This is interesting information - had always wondered about this...nice to have some actual facts about it all.

You can always tell the difference between those who had and still have choices and want to drive for a living, and those who do it because they cannot do anything else.

reply to GordonBennet

Your apology is not accepted, as it is NOT required, you are right in all you have said, esp the bit about no company putting a 17 year old behind the wheel of such a vehicle unless they can prove previous experience. Because as you correctly stated it is about so much more than just having the license.

I too worked my way through the ranks, and I have to admit feeling so much better for it, I simply do not believe that a 17 year old can ever be good enough to drive such vehicles, but as always there are exceptions. In f1, one of the drivers who got the racing license had to be given a lift as he was not able to legally drive a car on a public road.

The exception being if they grew up on a farm and learnt to drive larger vehicles at a very early age on private land ( where the public would not ordinarily have access ), but even then they should work towards a hgv class I or II.

As for the i****ic comments from some, I have no time to dignify you with a reply.

Edited by HGV ~ P Valentine on 15/12/2023 at 22:59

This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - Heidfirst

Indeed, I got mine 40 years ago at an age that I could not have as a civilian.

This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - badbusdriver

Indeed, I got mine 40 years ago at an age that I could not have as a civilian.

My Dad never passed his car test, back then (circa 1963) he could pass his test on a truck which then covered him for a car. I think at the time there were 3 "classes", as I remember him passing what I assume was his class 2 in the early 80's when we lived in the Shetland Islands. He never got his class 1 artic license, but his license did qualify him to drive a rigid truck with a drawbar trailer (which would surely be much harder to reverse than an artic?).

My Brother is also a truck driver and he paid for his own training and class 1 test.

I spoke to retired hgv driver in his 80's, we had a conversation over a coffee and he told me that when the first licenses got issued it was only to people already driving. This gentleman told me that they asked you what license you want and simply gave it to you, the clever one asked for the biggest one and have had grandfather rights ever since.

For badbusdriver ( I am sure you are not )

The first driving license in the UK was introduced in 1903 under the Motor Car Act1. The license was available to anyone over the age of 17, and there was no need to take a test1. The first driving license was available for just five shillings (or 25p—equivalent to roughly £28 today)1. Unlike today’s licenses, you had to renew every year1. It wasn’t until 1934 that driving tests were introduced for the first time1. Existing drivers were allowed to carry on driving without needing to take the new test, but anyone who started driving from April 1st, 1934 had to pass by June 19351.

Edited by HGV ~ P Valentine on 15/12/2023 at 23:24

This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - SLO76
I was a depot trainer for a large national bus company for over six years and I can’t say I’m overly concerned. Some of the best bus drivers I trained were the youngest. In fact one of them is now a supervisor above me at the firm I work for now, the managing director is only in his early to mid twenties too. Don’t underestimate the young. Judgement should be based on performance, not age, skin colour or sex.
This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - Sofa Spud

There used to be HGV "double L" courses in the 1970s, aimed at people (mainly men) who were re-training mid-career but had never held a car driving licence. The candidate would be taught the basics of driving in a small van, for a couple of days, then move on to the type of HGV they'd be taking their test on, which could well have been an HGV1 artic! It was called double L because the HGV they learned on had to display HGV 'L' plates and also ordinary ones. I think the way the test worked was that if the candidate passed the HGV test, that also counted as passing the car test.

The driving school I did my HGV with offered double L courses, although I did the ordinary one because I'd had a car licence since I was 17. However, I did know at least one lorry driver who had never driven a car.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 15/12/2023 at 10:48

The bit that scares me is what happens when it all goes wrong, the fact is that most young people are so keen to get on the road that they will take vehicle out that others have refused because of faults with the vehicle.

Either because they do not know enough to check all they need to, or because their eagerness takes over safety.

Haulage company owner Matthew Gordon was jailed for seven and a-half years | IBTimes UK

The driver of this vehicle was only 19 years old, and I heard on the grapevine that other drivers had refused to take this vehicle out, one of the victims who died was a 4 year old girl. There was a warning light that told this 19 year old the brakes where faulty but he was told by the manager to disregard it.

I have had safety things noted on a vehicle to many times over the years and each time refused it as well, only to be told a younger driver took the vehicle out only yesterday. I even told someone that you do not want older drivers because you cannot persuade us take out a vehicle that is not safe, but you can persuade someone younger, like this tipper driver allowed himself to be persuaded.

Edited by HGV ~ P Valentine on 15/12/2023 at 23:11

This scares me ~ your thoughts ? - HGV - gordonbennet

Regarding the Bath tipper tragedy there was someone missing from the dock, the training industry.

That young driver had been taught the modern way to drive trucks ie exactly the same as the new way of driving a car, apparently, 'brakes to slow gears to go'.

That method has no place in truck driving and any trainer teaching that method should be totally ignored once the test is passed (which is when learnign starts), i had a serious row with an alleged truck driving instructor who was taking one of the first DCPC courses i attended with some colleagues from my company before we started in house training....there were several younger drivers in the classroom from other operators taking notice of this fool telling them its ok to just use the brakes to slow down and select the approriate gear as and when likely to be pulling away again if it was a moving junction...i proved my points and hopefully those young drivers learned something useful, this was long before Bath but there's been a history of runaways and faded out brakes in hilly areas and this trainer was trying to make out that modern brakes can cope with anything...and yes they can, until the moment they can't and the smelly stuff hits the fan.

Truck makers spend £millions designing retarding systems controlling speed and deceleration, they don't fit these systems because they had a bulging wallet and couldn't think of anything else to spend it on, they know the value of not just preventing excessive brake wear but also keeping the brakes cool on long descents, its entirely possible to cover hundreds of miles barely using the brakes if at all on a truck, just need to make full sensible use of the fitted systems and appropriate gears, and to learn the stengths and weakness of each and every vehicle type, all are different as are all types of operation.

Some things don't change, not every new idea is progress.