Bottom out question - crxg

If a car bottomed out, what parts would be damaged other than say the suspension links, would the shocks go as well? (Near side or off side).

Bottom out question - gordonbennet

All depends on how violent the bottoming out was, and how weak the bodyshell or fittings might be, ie through wear and tear or corrosion, if you were practicing for a Dukes of Hazzard remake then definately look carefully at suspension mounting points :-)

A suspension strut could strain and break through its mounting point under enough force, engine mountings could have suffered, i doubt if the shockers will be damaged but check for leaks and a simple bounce test should suffice.

Check under the body itself for impact damage, springs bump stops exhaust etc., and look carefully at brake lines and hoses where they run close to suspension for signs of strain stretching or trapping.

Bottom out question - crxg

I was only going about 2-5 mph at the time, the front suspension links went and the OSF shocks went

Bottom out question - Adampr

8s this about driving a car down a hole in the road in Essex? If so, it's quite hard to imagine why a shock absorber on the offside would be damaged by the nearside wheel going down a hole. I suppose the ARB could send a bit of force that way, but it's unlikely that the offside of the car would hit the ground before the sump did.