Peugeot 205 1.8D - Rev limiter tampered! - 43576

Can someone help me with tachometer of my 205, because the car injector pump rev limiter has been tampered by the i**** previous owner.

When I took over a tractor other day, the car has pause round 4,000rpm, it doesn't feel like is limited on right rev of 5,540rpm what my manual book said, I have a multimeter tool clip the positive red cable to the alternator signal and the black negative to the battery. Idle speed on cold and warm is prefect, but when I tried to raise the max rev, my multimeter screen number has disappeared after 2,000rpm. I could not check the max rev numbers. I was thought that my multimeter was faulty when I purchased a new and better one than the old, it is done the same numbers is disappeared after 2,000rpm.

So one more chance, bought a laser point the crank plate comes inaccurate speed of 960rpm! Tried the alternator reading of 540rpm, the multimeter is set accurate of 775rpm +5

Why is the multimeter numbers disappeared after 2,000?

Peugeot 205 1.8D - Rev limiter tampered! - Lee Power

IIRC on older petrol vehicles of this same vintage the rev counter would haven taken its signal from the - of the ignition coil.

I would suspect the multimeter just cant process the signal from the alternator due to its design & if you tried your multimeter on a petrol vehicle it would work correctly.

Peugeot 205 1.8D - Rev limiter tampered! - elekie&a/c doctor
The tachometer on these is driven from the W terminal on the alternator. This produces an ac voltage of approximately 7 volts . It’s possible that you have the multi meter on the wrong setting/range .
Peugeot 205 1.8D - Rev limiter tampered! - focussed

Alternator driven tachos are old tech and have a reputation for not being especially accurate in the sense of + or - 10% - Bosch, Valeo etc.

Thanks for the info, it works on petrol but not on diesel, must be the current, I have tried every setting still disappeared after 2,000 rpm.

Peugeot 205 1.8D - Rev limiter tampered! - blindspot

is the pedal going to the floor.

Yes full 100%, I did on injector lever is on max, but it won't show over 2,000 rpm on my multimeter still '----'

I shall have to visit to my friend at Auto Electrical.

Peugeot 205 1.8D - Rev limiter tampered! - elekie&a/c doctor
Are you sure the pump timing is correct ?

Of course the pump is fine, drive every day. I think the rev limit has drop lower than 5450rpm by someone who tampered.