NCAP. the future - primus 1

Reading in this week’s AE, the report is asking the question, is ncap making our cars too safe? , new safety systems will require cars to be fitted with future updates that will include sensors that will call the police if sensors detect you’ve left your kids in the car!, a requirement that the doors and windows will still be able to be opened if the car is submerged in water, the next stage will be cameras to monitor the drivers face for distractions or tiredness,, AEB will have to include motorcycle detection, by 2026 more sensors will need to include the detection of fires and monitor drivers vital signs, isn’t it going a bit far….?, or is it a good thing?

Edited by primus 1 on 13/08/2023 at 10:09

NCAP. the future - sammy1

Reading about the new ginormous Honda SUV I believe it has a sensor that can tell if a vehicle is coming past a blind entrance. All getting a bit too much I think and of course it just adds to the cars cost. We are obsessed with saving of life rightly so, but surely practical things must come into the equation you cannot cater for every scenario. 20mph being one!! all boo together!!

NCAP. the future - Terry W

It is just self-preservation.

NCAP only have a role if they continue to update requirements - no updates = no jobs.

Some of the media and anti car lobby will pressurise governments to embrace improvements on the basis that all life is precious - particularly cute kids.

Governments will cave in, cars will get larger and slower, the only safe car is one that doesn't move at all.

All a bit daft - in a decade autonomous cars will be the norm. They never crash. Safety kit will involve something to keep the rain out!

NCAP. the future - primus 1

Someone once suggested that no safety equipment at all should be fitted to any car, just a very large sharp spike in the centre of the steering wheel ….

NCAP. the future - corax

They've got safe to the point when they're less safe. My Focus has a huge blindspot at the A post. It's thick and steeply raked, and seriously impedes vision.

But if you have a more upright screen and thinner posts you lose aerodynamics. Given the bluff shape of the current trend of many cars, it doesn't seem to be taken so seriously now. So we might as well have better vision.

I suppose that electronics are relied on to warn about blind spots. Not being able to see properly out of a car with your own eyes is absurd quite frankly.

Edited by corax on 13/08/2023 at 11:41

NCAP. the future - _

Not being able to see properly out of a car with your own eyes is absurd quite frankly.

Ever tried moving your head a bit ??

Big Smiley...

NCAP. the future - corax

Not being able to see properly out of a car with your own eyes is absurd quite frankly.

Ever tried moving your head a bit ??

Big Smiley...

I can appreciate that you might want to move your head to see around the chimney on a traction engine, but I thought a windscreen was designed to look through :-)

NCAP. the future - gordonbennet

Corax is spot on, my recent experience using a Civic for a few weeks reflects exactly what he says, whilst a decent enough car the lack of 180' vision in particular was unpleasant having spent so many years driving vehicles designed to see out of.

Was a joy to get back in the Forester, see all of the square bonnet, the minimal blind spots caused by a sensibly raked screen and comparably narrow A pillars, not to mention the superb large rectangular door mirrors, huge windows all round incl the full sized rear window.

You only have to see how people struggle to get these obese yet cramped cars in and out of parking spaces, its painful to watch.

The crash protection system/industry is self supporting, the more vision is restricted the more electronic faff is needed, the more deskilling of the person behind the wheel the more electronic aids needed to protect increasingly deskilled drivers and their potential victims.

We've seen and enjoyed the best years of motoring, the pleasure is fast disappearing.

NCAP. the future - movilogo

My new car has an eCall/SOS button where old car had sunglasses holder.

The usable space has been lost in name of safety.

Also, I can't figure out how the door pockets are now smaller in a larger car (Sportage) compared to older but smaller car (Ceed).

NCAP. the future - sammy1

The new Toyota CHR i another, how do you see out of the rear window? I suppose the reasoning is a rear view camera. A very useful sensor in this day and age would be to prevent the drunks and druggies even starting their cars. The smell of drugs existing cars is all too familiar and you cannot even see the driver who is vaping

Yes, I agree with you the pleasure of motoring is long gone.

NCAP. the future - Andrew-T

Corax is spot on, my recent experience using a Civic for a few weeks reflects exactly what he says, whilst a decent enough car the lack of 180' vision in particular was unpleasant having spent so many years driving vehicles designed to see out of.

We've seen and enjoyed the best years of motoring, the pleasure is fast disappearing.

That's why I still like to drive my 205 .... :-)

That's why I still like to drive my 205 .... :-)

Lovely little car those, my daughter still recalls fondly her first car a 106, similar in many ways.

What a gem the 205 GTD was, sadly i never owned one, my young divorcee financially ruined status could only run to an NA Mk 1.5 Golf Diesel, but like the 205 it was a good liitle car lacking almost all modern safety equipment ...non of which would have helped when a pick up cutting a corner ran head on straight into me, tough little car the mk1 Golf despite not an airbag in sight, still driveable too, the ladder chassised pick up came off worse.

NCAP. the future - barney100

Tend to agree. My first car...Viva HB had very little in the way of gizmos. Don't think it had a tachometer or clock but loved driving it.

Someone once suggested that no safety equipment at all should be fitted to any car, just a very large sharp spike in the centre of the steering wheel ….

Yes, several decades ago IIRC, when seat belts came in I think.

We are obsessed with saving of life ...

That is how it is presented, but apart from trying to score more NCAP stars, I think it is mainly a challenge for the nerds and geeks to devise another gizmo. Detecting blind entrances ? How on earth do you define that ? If the entrance is blind, it can't be seen, by definition ; and if it can be, the driver should see it too ?

And how does the vehicle react to that detection ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8RbSSMyrc

Some might find this interesting, some will be able to make sarky remarks about the presenter.

John Cadogan on ANCAP Aus, suggest to watch from 3.50 on to avoid the intro and sponsor speel, some choice words used, be warned.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/08/2023 at 16:26

NCAP. the future - SLO76
Between all the costly emissions reductions effort and all the additional safety gear they’re making cars much safer by making them unaffordable to many ordinary working people and thus fewer of us will be involved in accidents because we’re either walking or on the bus. It’s utter madness that a simple supermini like a Honda Jazz costs £25k plus today.
NCAP. the future - badbusdriver

It’s utter madness that a simple supermini like a Honda Jazz costs £25k plus today.

Madness or not, the Jazz is not a simple supermini!

NCAP. the future - John F

Apparently there is quite a choice of new cars for under £15,000. Not sure I'd feel particularly safe in one on a busy dark wet foggy motorway.

NCAP. the future - Maxime.

Apparently there is quite a choice of new cars for under £15,000. Not sure I'd feel particularly safe in one on a busy dark wet foggy motorway.

Something we avoid. M5 near us)

NCAP. the future - mcb100
Accidents, injuries & fatalities are all showing the same underlying trend - all reducing (Covid skewed the 2020 & 2021 figures because road traffic was significantly down) since a peak in the 1960’s.
I’m not sure how a car (or any vehicle) can be deemed ‘too safe’.