BMW 6 Series 2004. - ECM Housing Removal - Railroad.

Does anyone know how to remove the white plastic housing which contains two controllers and a fuse box on the passenger side under the scuttle and next to the suspension mount? I have one with a burst brake pipe underneath this housing and need to remove it so I can access the pipe to replace it. There is also an air pump at the bottom of the housing which connects to a duct under the dash on the passenger side inside the car.

Many thanks in advance if anyone knows or has ever done this.

Edited by Railroad. on 09/08/2023 at 19:04

BMW 6 Series 2004. - ECM Housing Removal - elekie&a/c doctor
I’m presuming this is an e63 ? The plastic electric box looks like it’s mounted on rubber buffers. So possibly just pulls up . The air blower is a ventilation cooling fan for this E box . Is it possible to reroute the brake pipe to avoid dismantling this section?

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 09/08/2023 at 19:45

I’m presuming this is an e63 ? The plastic electric box looks like it’s mounted on rubber buffers. So possibly just pulls up . The air blower is a ventilation cooling fan for this E box . Is it possible to reroute the brake pipe to avoid dismantling this section?

Yes it is an E63. Re-routing the brake pipe would be fairly difficult and unsightly. The box appears to be fixed to the bulkhead. It could be on slides but it is very tight if it is. I wondered if it's fixed from the inside, but if is then access is not easy at all. I've removed the ECUs and the fuse box. I just need to get the housing out now. Then I have another difficult task of making up a new brake pipe and fitting it.

BMW 6 Series 2004. - ECM Housing Removal - elekie&a/c doctor
I’m not sure at all . Never done it on one of these . It’s possibly bonded to the bulkhead, as it needs to be a water tight joint to prevent water entry to the cabin .
I’m not sure at all . Never done it on one of these . It’s possibly bonded to the bulkhead, as it needs to be a water tight joint to prevent water entry to the cabin .

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.