MG ZS (1.00Ltr) (Exclusive) (2023) - Help: Tickover Revs on MG ZS - raystr

Hi Everyone,

I am having a bit of a problem with the Idling RPM on my MG ZS (1.00 Ltr Exclusive) and could do with a bit of guidence please, be aware it is the new model 2023.

When we are stationary (say at traffic lights) the rpm is at around 1000/1100, is this too fast?

I have been back to the garage and they don't seem to be able to cure the problem, and have even said that it is normal on recent occasions, although after a test run, they have admitted that parking might be effected due to the engine speed.

I am aware that from cold it should start high but then reduce as the engine gets hot but we find that it never drops below 1000/1100 even after a long drive.

I would love to have your views on this ESPECIALLY if you drive one of these - "is it a fault or not" I would haave thought that the Idling revs should be much less - what do you think?

Thank You so much for any help or guidence.

Raystr.

MG ZS (1.00Ltr) (Exclusive) (2023) - Help: Tickover Revs on MG ZS - elekie&a/c doctor
How do you know it’s too fast ? What the engine speed is actually doing and what the rev counter is indicating could be different.

Good point mate, I see where you are coming from but the digital readout is all I have to go on.

When we picked up the car, I thought the readout was too fast but wasn't sure if it was the normal speed for this partiular car, that said, I get your point (it could be the readout) I don't think so though, as it actually sounds a bit fast as well.

I'm hoping someone on HJ's website might have one of these and can let me know what there's is doing.

Really helpful - Thank you for your valued input..

Raystr

MG ZS (1.00Ltr) (Exclusive) (2023) - Help: Tickover Revs on MG ZS - sammy1

Clearly the Garage seem to think it should be lower. As you say it starts on automatic choke but after this the revs should drop by 200-300 normally. I am not familiar with your engine, have you asked to try another same car at the garage to compare. When warm and from scratch does the car seem to "run away from you" which is not right.

Thanks Sammy!

No Choke on these mate! it's done electronically, Been back to garage but no other EXACT car to do a comparison on but it defo seems too fast to me.

I'm hoping someone on H John might have the exact same model and can give me a heads up on what the display should be reading.

It's nothing major but I would have thought that the revs should drop when hot. We did a pretty hefty drive to the east coast (150 Mile round trip) and it never altered.

Raystr.

MG ZS (1.00Ltr) (Exclusive) (2023) - Help: Tickover Revs on MG ZS - _

Ask on the www.mg-rover.org forum lots of issues with these engines.

I had a 2018 zs. It was rubbish.

Got rid after ¹4 months.

Edited by _ORB_ on 01/07/2023 at 14:54

MG ZS (1.00Ltr) (Exclusive) (2023) - Help: Tickover Revs on MG ZS - Chris M

My 1.0T Astra (same engine) starts at 1,100rpm from cold and drops to around 950rpm within a minute. I only know this because I've just checked. Don't know what it is when hot as I've never noticed.

There are some "funny" answers on here re tick over. Once the car is off automatic "choke" which is electronic on new cars the revs drop to a pre set for whatever engine cold or so called hot. Modern cars go off choke fairly rapidly and while getting up to operating temperature will remain the same on tick over after the initial start. The OP thinks his is running too fast, perhaps it is not coming off cold start choke which the garage should sort!

MG ZS (1.00Ltr) (Exclusive) (2023) - Help: Tickover Revs on MG ZS - bathtub tom

Should be easily diagnosed with exhaust emissions, or even a MK1 nose.

Thanks everyone!

food for thought - and NO, I probably wouldn't buy another....Shame Really, as I quite like the car..

RayStr

MG ZS (1.00Ltr) (Exclusive) (2023) - Help: Tickover Revs on MG ZS - Chris M

"There are some "funny" answers on here re tick over."

I've re-read all the answers and haven't laughed once. Not even a chuckle.

"There are some "funny" answers on here re tick over."

I've re-read all the answers and haven't laughed once. Not even a chuckle.

Try reading it again, you must have missed something. It is side splitting and hilarious!

MG ZS (1.00Ltr) (Exclusive) (2023) - Help: Tickover Revs on MG ZS - John Clough

I also believe my ZS Exclusive is too fast at tick over. A bit slower than yours at 1000, somtimes flashing 900. Mine is an auto. You don't say what yours is. I believe it makes the auto difficlt to manover slowely in tight places. As the car tends to lurch.

In the past, cars I have had tend to tick over at 800.

I have not spoken to the dealer yet. They, Baylis, have been a pain to deal with so far as their default always seems to be to blame the customer.

We have discovered that there is a cruise control issue. They now admit it afffects all cars, but MG have no intension of issuing a fix.

The fault:

With cruise active, slowing the set speed by clicking down will stop at *7 and *2 mph. (so, 57, 52, 47, 42 etc).

Very agrevating. I did consider rejecting the car, but as it will be a fight and I am otherwise happy. I will put up with it.

Also. When I bought it, in daylight, all the lights came on, including the fog lights. Stupidly, it took some effort to convince the dealer there was a problem. They eventually chaanged the daylight sensor. Fixed except I still have fog lights ar night.

Turns out, the fog light should come on to assist cornering at night but only when the steering wheel gets to a certain angle. (This is not in the handbook). I thing mine is inconsistant.

Does your cruis act like min?

Do your fog lights work for cornering at night?

John

MG ZS (1.00Ltr) (Exclusive) (2023) - Help: Tickover Revs on MG ZS - _

The 1.0 litre cars are ALL auto. this engine is not sold with a manual gearbox in the UK>

MG ZS (1.00Ltr) (Exclusive) (2023) - Help: Tickover Revs on MG ZS - David Piotrowski

Hi John,

Your comments are very interesting, I have just purchased a brand new MG ZS and the cruise control functionality is inconsistent, when using the lever to accelerate or de accelerate via the one mph increments. Sometimes it misses and you have to activate the lever again, sometimes it doesn’t work at all and sometimes it just jams the whole system up, meaning you have to turn if off and back on again to regain its activity.

The jamming up occurs, as you say, during de acceleration when the speed reaches a figure that contains a 7 or a 2 in it, very strange and annoying.

You say that MG are aware of this issue, do you have any evidence of this?? as I am obviously very disappointed that I have bought a car that has an pre-existing fault.

Many Thanks, David

MG ZS (1.00Ltr) (Exclusive) (2023) - Help: Tickover Revs on MG ZS - RT

Hi John,

Your comments are very interesting, I have just purchased a brand new MG ZS and the cruise control functionality is inconsistent, when using the lever to accelerate or de accelerate via the one mph increments. Sometimes it misses and you have to activate the lever again, sometimes it doesn’t work at all and sometimes it just jams the whole system up, meaning you have to turn if off and back on again to regain its activity.

The jamming up occurs, as you say, during de acceleration when the speed reaches a figure that contains a 7 or a 2 in it, very strange and annoying.

You say that MG are aware of this issue, do you have any evidence of this?? as I am obviously very disappointed that I have bought a car that has an pre-existing fault.

Many Thanks, David

That sounds like an issue with the conversion from kph to mph and the rounding of whole digits.