Honda/Toyota/Nissan - Advice on used car for a friend - Alfred Rees-Glinos

Hi. I'm looking to buy a car on behalf of a friend. She doesn't have much car knowledge or interest, so I am looking at Japanese cars which tend to be more reliable. She has a small family, and wants to spend between £2,000 and £3,000, and for it to be petrol and manual. The offerings in the small sized (Jazz) and medium sized (Civic) classes would be best I think. Given that her budget isn't very big, I also think that a chain driven engine would be best, rather than risking it on a cambelt-driven car with no history on the belt ever being changed. I would really appreciate your thoughts on the small and medium sized offerings from these manufacturers, but even more helpful would be if you could tell me which cars and which engines from these manufacturers use a chain. Her budget would seemingly afford her a car between 10 and 20 years old. Many thanks in advance, Alfie.

Edited by Alfred Rees-Glinos on 14/06/2023 at 21:09

Honda/Toyota/Nissan - Advice on used car for a friend - SLO76
At this money condition is more important than anything else, I’d sooner have a mint well cared for Corsa than a ratty Honda Jazz. This is one thing I do enjoy though, searching for a useable cheap car for someone on a tight budget. Where roughly we ill said search be centred on location wise? I’ll look for a few options.

But to answer your question relating to chain driven engines the Jazz has always been chain driven and the Mk II Mazda 2 is also. But a Fiesta with the very robust Yamaha designed 1.25/1.4 petrol motors is good news too and a cautionary belt change is a cheap job on these. I certainly wouldn’t make it a deal breaker. Private sales are the best for sub £3k budgets as dealers are generally offering poor value and little comeback anyway.
At this money condition is more important than anything else, I’d sooner have a mint well cared for Corsa than a ratty Honda Jazz. This is one thing I do enjoy though, searching for a useable cheap car for someone on a tight budget. Where roughly we ill said search be centred on location wise? I’ll look for a few options. But to answer your question relating to chain driven engines the Jazz has always been chain driven and the Mk II Mazda 2 is also. But a Fiesta with the very robust Yamaha designed 1.25/1.4 petrol motors is good news too and a cautionary belt change is a cheap job on these. I certainly wouldn’t make it a deal breaker. Private sales are the best for sub £3k budgets as dealers are generally offering poor value and little comeback anyway.

Thanks for the detailed response. This would be in the Herefordshire area. I hear that, for instance, the Nissan Note in 1.4 and 1.6 litre guises uses a chain? For me, I'd like to buy the friend a car that doesn't require any work, such as a belt, irrespective of how easy/cheap it may be to put on a new one

Edited by Alfred Rees-Glinos on 14/06/2023 at 23:16

“ I hear that, for instance, the Nissan Note in 1.4 and 1.6 litre guises uses a chain? For me, I'd like to buy the friend a car that doesn't require any work, such as a belt, irrespective of how easy/cheap it may be to put on a new one”

I get the logic. My mother has a 2009 (chain driven) Honda Jazz 1.2 S and my brother has a 2009 (also chain driven) Nissan Note 1.4 I sourced for him about a year ago. It’s immaculate, drives without fault and is very practical. Both were bought with minimal hassle in mind as it would be down to me to deal with any issues. The Note was bought for £1,900 from a local trader I know for my wife’s cousin to use during a three month stay in the country and I sold it on to my brother for £1750 after she was done with it. A cheap and very useful little car that doesn’t appeal to the boy racers who ruin everything they touch. The Jazz never gives any trouble either, but I personally favour the Note to drive.
Spotted this one previous owner Toyota Yaris. This is chain driven and these are very cheap to run and have no inherent reliability concerns. Just get under it to check for rot and do all the other basic checks. That it’s been owned long term suggests that it’s been a good car to them. Front bumper looks like it’s had a bit of paint from the pics, but I wouldn’t be concerned at this age and money as long as it looks not too bad.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305207606718

Edited by SLO76 on 15/06/2023 at 07:24

Much appreciated. Thanks so much for your help :)

This looks good too. It does have a timing belt though but again it’s not a hugely costly job and the car is cheap and very cheap to run.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306068215884
Fiesta with recent timing belt and tyres.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202304226556601