Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - Random

I like Mazda, a bit like Citroen, Saab and Subaru, they do things a lttle left of field. Launching a 6 cylinder diesel in the current climate must be either brave or foolhardy.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mazda/cx-60/first-dri...d

Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - badbusdriver

I like Mazda, a bit like Citroen, Saab and Subaru, they do things a lttle left of field. Launching a 6 cylinder diesel in the current climate must be either brave or foolhardy.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mazda/cx-60/first-dri...d

We did discuss this not too long ago:

Mazda CX-60 - New engines

The thinking behind it pretty sound, that a big engine in a relatively low state of tune will be more efficient than the current fad for smaller, more highly strung engines. Only time will tell who is right!.

I am interested in the engine, but not so much in big SUV's

Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - Metropolis.
Widely (although not universally) considered to be one of the best engine configurations, bet it will be a peach. Look forward to trying it, I never liked the usual 4 pot diesels they just dont sound or feel as good.. hope they have sorted the issues they had on the smaller units!
Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - badbusdriver
Widely (although not universally) considered to be one of the best engine configurations, bet it will be a peach. Look forward to trying it, I never liked the usual 4 pot diesels they just dont sound or feel as good.. hope they have sorted the issues they had on the smaller units!

For smoothness yes, a straight six (and V12) is the best.

Not so much for packaging, though obviously the bigger the car the more space available.

Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - Metropolis.
True about packaging, even a v8 is better on that front. But there is also a belief that straight 6 engines are inherently more reliable. Saying that, I cant think of a straight 6 with a bad reputation, perhaps someone can?

Bring back the straight 8!
Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - RT
True about packaging, even a v8 is better on that front. But there is also a belief that straight 6 engines are inherently more reliable. Saying that, I cant think of a straight 6 with a bad reputation, perhaps someone can? Bring back the straight 8!

I think BMW had some issues with Nikasil cylinder coatings, when GM used the BMW I-6 in the Omega it was unreliable - the JLR Ingenium straight-six doesn't have a good reputation

Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - Brit_in_Germany

Agree that the 4 cylinder has had problems but I have not seen anything relating to the i6. Anything concrete?

Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - bathtub tom

A straight six is almost perfect balance (IIRC) . Where's an expert when you need one?

Lanchester balance shafts can (almost) replicate this, as in the Honda/BMC engine.

A horizontally opposed engine is in perfect balance (I believe), but don't tell any Beetle owner

Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - galileo

A straight six is almost perfect balance (IIRC) . Where's an expert when you need one?

Lanchester balance shafts can (almost) replicate this, as in the Honda/BMC engine.

A horizontally opposed engine is in perfect balance (I believe), but don't tell any Beetle owner

Straight six engines need a vibration damper or may suffer fatigue failures due to sixth order vibrations. Lanchester and other makers fitted dampers from at least the 1920s.

Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - Adampr
True about packaging, even a v8 is better on that front. But there is also a belief that straight 6 engines are inherently more reliable. Saying that, I cant think of a straight 6 with a bad reputation, perhaps someone can?

Maybe the AJ6 used in the Jag XJ-S? I don't know that it was unreliable, but it was in 80s Jaguar, so...

Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - _

From my days back then. the AJ 6 was pretty good, and the AJ16 posed us no problems at all.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ6_engine

Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - Andrew-T
Bring back the straight 8!

How much penalty is there in consumption with 6 or 8 cylinders ? I know they aren't famous for economy, but in theory the energy needed to drive a given mass should be similar, plus a bit for the larger lump ?

Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - John F
Widely (although not universally) considered to be one of the best engine configurations.....

For smoothness yes, a straight six (and V12) is the best.

For best configuration (more compact than its 4.2 V8 cousin) and smoothness (12 narrow con rods acting on an amazingly short crankshaft), the W12 is better.

Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - expat

I have a 4lt petrol 6 in my Australian Ford Falcon. It is a lovely engine. Smooth with heaps of power and torque. A real pleasure to drive.

Mazda CX-60 - straight six diesel - SLO76
As much as I want to like it I just can’t trust a modern Mazda diesel, they just don’t seem to be able to get them right. Time will tell, but I certainly won’t be sinking money into one.