Mazda CX-60 - New engines - mcb100
Not content with bringing back the rotary engine in the forthcoming MX-30 PHEV, Mazda are about to offer its bigger sibling CX-60 with a 48v mild hybrid 3.3 litre, straight six diesel with an 8 speed twin clutch transmission.
They do like to do things their way.

Edited by mcb100 on 25/02/2023 at 18:21

Mazda CX-60 - New engines - Adampr

That's a very brave blend of potential problems. It's going to have a lot of pulling power!

Mazda CX-60 - New engines - Xileno

It's good there are some manufactures who do things differently. It used to be the territory of Citroen and SAAB but no more, for different reasons.

Mazda CX-60 - New engines - badbusdriver

It's going to have a lot of pulling power!

The figures I have suggest two versions, with the more powerful one having 254bhp @ 3750rpm and 550NM of torque from 1500-2400rpm. Plus an extra 17bhp and 153NM or torque from the electric motor.

Mazda CX-60 - New engines - Engineer Andy
Not content with bringing back the rotary engine in the forthcoming MX-30 PHEV, Mazda are about to offer its bigger sibling CX-60 with a 48v mild hybrid 3.3 litre, straight six diesel with an 8 speed twin clutch transmission. They do like to do things their way.

I wonder if that engine and gearbox are even theirs and not 'bought in', given they've previously only gone with TC autos. Not sure about 'their' big diesels as they've never really gone that route before in the UK, including with bigger SUVs like the CX-7 from 10 years or so ago. Sounds very 'BMWey' to me on both counts.

Anyone know more? Note that I'm going to be buying one - just curious, especially as they've pulled back from diesels of late other than in their 'trucks' (utes, double cab type offroader utility vehicles) abroad. Not sure if they still use the same platform as Ford on at least one as they used to.

Mazda CX-60 - New engines - mcb100
It’s all their own kit, and Ford sold them in 2008 so no links there.
Mazda CX-60 - New engines - gordonbennet

One wonders if there's a tie-in with Isuzu, another Japanese manufacturer who ploughs their own furrow.

The Isuzu Giga of some 10/15 years ago boasted a 30 litre V10 NA Diesel engine, in a world where everyone else stopped at just over 1/3 up to 1/2 that CC and forced the induction instead, very old school very conservative thinking in many ways, unstressed is good...the largest NA truck engine i'd known of before was the 19 litre Fiat (V8 i believe but don't hold me to it) from the 80's.

I doubt the Mazda will find many customers in western Europe, but in other places where fuel tax isn't almost the last thing propping up the dying economies it should find some willing buyers.

Mazda CX-60 - New engines - badbusdriver

One wonders if there's a tie-in with Isuzu, another Japanese manufacturer who ploughs their own furrow.

The Isuzu Giga of some 10/15 years ago boasted a 30 litre V10 NA Diesel engine, in a world where everyone else stopped at just over 1/3 up to 1/2 that CC and forced the induction instead, very old school very conservative thinking in many ways, unstressed is good...the largest NA truck engine i'd known of before was the 19 litre Fiat (V8 i believe but don't hold me to it) from the 80's.

I doubt the Mazda will find many customers in western Europe, but in other places where fuel tax isn't almost the last thing propping up the dying economies it should find some willing buyers.

A while back while browsing a website which lists vehicles for sale in Japan and I came upon a Nissan Big Thumb (I know!). This was a pretty hardcore looking recovery truck, but what struck me was that it had a 21 litre engine. Some investigation on t'internet revealed that this was a n/a V10 diesel, but also that it wasn't the biggest engine available on the Big Thumb. That honour went to the 26.5 litre version, also a n/a V10, packing up to 520PS and 1814NM of torque @ 1200RPM.

But going back to the CX60, the theory behind the big (for these days) engine is not a new one at all (similar to the above, but with reliability likely the main aim rather than efficiency). They (Mazda) reckon a big engine in a relatively low state of tune will be more efficient than a smaller engine working harder.

A while back while browsing a website which lists vehicles for sale in Japan and I came upon a Nissan Big Thumb (I know!). This was a pretty hardcore looking recovery truck, but what struck me was that it had a 21 litre engine. Some investigation on t'internet revealed that this was a n/a V10 diesel, but also that it wasn't the biggest engine available on the Big Thumb. That honour went to the 26.5 litre version, also a n/a V10, packing up to 520PS and 1814NM of torque @ 1200RPM.

But going back to the CX60, the theory behind the big (for these days) engine is not a new one at all (similar to the above, but with reliability likely the main aim rather than efficiency). They (Mazda) reckon a big engine in a relatively low state of tune will be more efficient than a smaller engine working harder.

I find this with the CX-60 very weird - Mazda have for ages now refused to sell a large chunk of its range in the UK, especially higher output petrol engined cars such as the 2.5 SA-G Turbo in the Mazda3, 6 etc.

It seems strange to say the least why they persist using the Skyactiv-X engine in Japan and Europe (and all the huge amount of R&D that went into it) but not selling cars fitted with it in North America and other markets, whilst simultaneously using the 2.5 SA-G and turbocharged version there.

They must be spending fortunes on developing paprellel tech which other makes like VAG and Hyundai/KIA stick to one platform on a worldwide basis, presumably saving on costs by just scaling up/down engine types, whether petrol, diesl or hybrid.

Mazda meanwhile introduces yet another completely different diesel (after ditching their short-lived but not unreliable 1.8TD and keeping [for now] the seemingly poorly-designed 2.2TD [to me, anyway]) that seems way overpowered for the car, and developing an all-new rotary engined range-extender hybrid just for one car that probably won't sell in that many numbers.

Add to that using a Toyota Yaris clone which will sell as well as the late 90s 121 (Fiesta clone with an average Mazda 1.3 engine) and this all seems like a rather chaotic design studio to me - there doesn't seem like any coherent plan of where they are going, especially with them getting into EVs in a very slow way as well.

Proverbially backing (almost - no fuel cell cars) the horse rarely gets much oif a return on the investment, in my view.

Mazda CX-60 - New engines - DavidGlos
3.3 diesel might well prove popular amongst the towing fraternity. A lot of their go to vehicles seem to lose their diesel engine option when a facelift is rolled out and EV range is pretty catastrophic when towing, plus charging with a caravan or trailer in tow is practically impossible.
Mazda CX-60 - New engines - RT
3.3 diesel might well prove popular amongst the towing fraternity. A lot of their go to vehicles seem to lose their diesel engine option when a facelift is rolled out and EV range is pretty catastrophic when towing, plus charging with a caravan or trailer in tow is practically impossible.

Charging when towing a caravan is quite possible - but quite involved as it means unhitching the caravan in the car park, charging the car and then rehitching the caravan - it's needed every 100 miles or so as the energy consumption is much higher when towing.

Charging when towing a caravan is quite possible - but quite involved as it means unhitching the caravan in the car park, charging the car and then rehitching the caravan - it's needed every 100 miles or so as the energy consumption is much higher when towing.

Imagine the chaos in motorway service stops with that happening on a Saturday in July or August? Bad enough now with just a few non-Tesla EVs hogging the charging points like the old addage of German tourists and sunloungers.

I wonder when that hiddeous-looking Telsa pickup truck comes to market?