81 austin metro - car over heating - Russeler

was driving on the motorway just fine for 30 miles, temp gage was all fine

Then came off the motorway and stuck in heavy traffic temprature gage started to rise over half way mark. then later steam was coming out the bonnet the same side as resevar bottle, stopped the engine and there was water leaking everywhere! pushed car out of way and have now left it park up

Any ideas people?

Thanks

81 austin metro - car over heating - elekie&a/c doctor
Can’t be many left of this age . However, if it was ok prior to getting stuck in traffic, it’s possibly the electric cooling fan has failed. That would cause overheating and coolant to be expelled from the system. It may have blown a hose or radiator.
81 austin metro - car over heating - Bromptonaut

A series engine?

Did they still have a bypass hose in the Metro?

Now it's cooled down see where the water level is and, if you add more, where is it leaking from?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 13/02/2023 at 12:39

81 austin metro - car over heating - Engineer Andy
Can’t be many left of this age . However, if it was ok prior to getting stuck in traffic, it’s possibly the electric cooling fan has failed. That would cause overheating and coolant to be expelled from the system. It may have blown a hose or radiator.

Is the coolant system driven by a belt driven pump off the main cam or crank shaft or an independent electrically-powered one?

My old Micra experienced a similar 'issue' but the cause was a stone had flow up from underneath and broken the belt driving the pump. I just about managed to get it home (hot July day) before any serious damage was done - just cost me the new belt (about a tenner back around 2000-ish) as my RAC breakdown service fitted it FOC.

81 austin metro - car over heating - Chris M

Weren't Metros still thermo-siphon?

:)

81 austin metro - car over heating - elekie&a/c doctor
A series simple engineering. V belt driving the water pump and alternator from the crankshaft. If the belt breaks, loss of coolant flow and the battery charge light comes on .
81 austin metro - car over heating - edlithgow

RESPECT for keeping an 81 Metro together this long in The Yook. I'm guessing you are not in salty Scotland.

Did you do any special rust proofing?

Assuming no broken belts (IF this happened the belt remains will likely be AWOL but you will have empty pulleys), or large leaks when cold (top it up and see what comes out) which is what I would guess, you can probably test the electric cooling fan (prime suspect IMO) by jumpering it directly to the battery,

If you connect it up backwards, thats the way it will go, so you'll know.

(If you do have leaks they may have been caused by overheating due to another fault, such as fan failure, which will have to fixed after the leaks have been)

Your mention of "heavy traffic" is a clue to fan failure (due to lack of forward motion induced air flow through the radiator) and a contraindication for belt/waterpump failure, which would be less ameliorated by forward motion.

IF your fan is OK, next suspect on my list would be the temperature sensor, which likely powers on the fan via a relay. The sensor itself, the relay, or the connecting wires (the latter likely buried in a wiring loom) could all be at fault.

You can probably bench test the sensor with very hot water and a multimeter, though its fiddly and carries a risk of scalding yourself.

Bench testing the relay, not so bad.

Wires are just a continuity test, but if bust, a break in the loom can be hard to find. I've run a bypass wire in this situation but this is not best practice.

As an emergency workaround you can get the car drivable by wiring the fan always on, but you have to remember to disconnect it or it'll flatten the battery.

IIRC I did this with a 2L DOHC Sierra by replacing the temperature sensor with a fuse (which fitted) and it was only on when the ignition was, which was nice.

On the Skywing I wired its supply via an old power cord which I ran back into the cab, shorting the plug pins together with an aluminium bike footpeg, which also acted as a heat sink.

Good luck

Edited by edlithgow on 15/02/2023 at 02:48

81 austin metro - car over heating - bathtub tom
you can probably test the electric cooling fan (prime suspect IMO) by jumpering it directly to the battery,

Will it? Fleming's left hand rule!

81 austin metro - car over heating - edlithgow
you can probably test the electric cooling fan (prime suspect IMO) by jumpering it directly to the battery,

Will it? Fleming's left hand rule!

Mine did, IIRC

No disrespect to Fleming (big fan of Penicillin and quite liked some of the early Bond stuff at the time) but, OTOH, Reality Rules