Mercedes AW169 - Tracking tyres - scot22

Yesterday went over a pothole resulting in small year front offside. I will replace the tyre and have tracking done.

Is it better to replace both tyres, mid range, about 50% wear ?

What should approx cost of tracking be ?

Thanks for any help.

Mercedes AW169 - Tracking tyres - elekie&a/c doctor
If this has caused the steering to go off centre, then best get the suspension system checked, in case something is bent . No idea on cost . The other front tyre is still serviceable. Perhaps put it to the rear if it’s better than what’s there and have 2 new on the front .

Thanks for your very helpful advice. Will do and good idea to maximise tyre value.

Mercedes AW169 - Tracking tyres - bathtub tom
Perhaps put it to the rear if it’s better than what’s there and have 2 new on the front .

I thought current thinking was to put the best tyres on the back?

I disagree with this, as I'd rather go throught the hedge backwards then forwards. That way I can't see what's coming!

Mercedes AW169 - Tracking tyres - skidpan
Perhaps put it to the rear if it’s better than what’s there and have 2 new on the front .

I thought current thinking was to put the best tyres on the back?

I disagree with this, as I'd rather go throught the hedge backwards then forwards. That way I can't see what's coming!

The theory is spot on but in truth it only applies when overstepping the limits. For Mr (or Mrs) average adding a bit of extra lock if the front wheels start to loose grip is easy enough but since very few of us experience loss of rear grip (except in snow or ice perhaps) having the experience to react to the situation normally ends badly.

When I spent time on the tracks on most weekends in the summer oversteer in a RWD car was something I expected and dealt with easily (normally) but when out on a road at normal speeds hitting a patch of diesel on a wet day would induce a certain amount of bum squeaking especially when there were cars around you going in both directions.

Give me a balanced car any day but its best to have the better tyres on the rear for those tricky moments.

Thanks