N/a - Household Fuel prices - Ethan Edwards

Read of a pub that's having a Electricity bill go from 60,000 a year to 420,000. Why would you pay that? Buy a Genny, hook it up. Ballpark figure 40k a year. Assuming you buy a new Genny every year. Build a hut in your pub garden. Bobs your relative.

That's assuming two quid a litre 50 litres a day 365 a year. If you have many solar panels a lot less I would assume.

Some won't put up with extortion.

N/a - Household Fuel prices - daveyjp

A lot of these figures are based on an existing energy provider quote. In this case its Tom Kerridge who is letting us know his quote for a pub, which isn't a household. It would be better if he provided the existing kWh rates and the new rates.

It's no different to your insurance company saying your premium will go from £200 to £2,000.

After receiving the quote you then shop around. I hope there is a follow up story telling us what figure he actually ended up paying. Business electricity is being quoted at 50-90p per kWh depending on location and annual consumption.

As for a generator it would take 5 minutes for noise complaints to be made.

Edited by daveyjp on 04/09/2022 at 11:41

N/a - Household Fuel prices - Adampr

The price increase was across a collection of pubs. It's unlikely that it breaks down to making one generator per pub viable.

It's definitely real, though. A friend of mine has seen his quote go from £6k to £64k. He is not seeing any savings from shopping around. He is fortunate enough to be a freeholder and live in the pub, so he's just going to close and get another job.

N/a - Household Fuel prices - Chris M

"50 litres a day"

Just out of interest, where does that figure come from? 2 litres an hour to power a pub seems a little optimistic.

Edited by Chris M on 04/09/2022 at 13:02

N/a - Household Fuel prices - Bromptonaut

A genny big enough to light a whole pub and potentially power cooking facilities too is going to be big, noisy and probably drink a lot more than 50litres a day.

N/a - Household Fuel prices - Brit_in_Germany

An 8 kW genny will get through around 3 litres/hour of heating oil at full power.

Looking at current prices, that is around 40p/kWh.

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 04/09/2022 at 16:41

N/a - Household Fuel prices - Chris M

And I doubt 8kW would be sufficient to power a pub with kitchen plus the chillers, lights etc.

N/a - Household Fuel prices - Brit_in_Germany

A 40 kW plant is also available at 10 l/h, weighs 1150 kg and comes in at €15.000.

N/a - Household Fuel prices - edlithgow
Back in the Yook till after CNY. Be interesting to see if I can manage without domestic space heating. Did before, but that was about 15 tropical Taiwan years ago. OTOH the incentive is greater now, there’s been some climate change, and I won’t be here in the deepest bit of the Edinburgh winter. I remember a week or so of minus 20C being a bit of a pain.

It’s the feet that get you. I deferred buying some cheap Primark wooly boots because the queue was too long and when I went back an hour later the shelves were cleared, so perhaps my frugality isn’t as weird these days.