Shape shifting electric city car? - badbusdriver

citytransformer.com

Ok, shape shifting might be an exaggeration, but the width (track) of the car does change from 1(!) to 1.4M depending on whether in city mode or performance mode (maybe also an exaggeration for a 20bhp vehicle!) for stability. In truth, city mode would really just be for parking, or squeezing through narrow gaps, as you are limited to 25km/h. But in performance mode it will do 90km/h (56mph), plenty fast enough for its intended use.

I probably do have some reservations about how reliable the system for adjusting track width would be over time. If it got stuck in performance mode it wouldn't be too much of a problem, but in city mode with that 25km/h limit, much more so.

I really like the Renault Twizy and this evolves that design further, along with addressing the glaring problem of owning one somewhere with a climate like ours (not being fully protected against the elements, and no heater).

Shape shifting electric city car? - Engineer Andy

Sorry, BBD, but I had visions of this happening in 'performance mode':

youtu.be/Avxkj1UQWxg

Sadly more like Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang...

Shape shifting electric city car? - badbusdriver

Sorry, BBD, but I had visions of this happening in 'performance mode':

youtu.be/Avxkj1UQWxg

Sadly more like Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang...

Hasn't aged well has it :-).

I actually used to work with someone who made a KITT replica!

As that link to the City Transformer website doesn't seem to be 'live', this is a link to a YT clip,

watch

Shape shifting electric city car? - Engineer Andy

A car for the 21st century pod-resident - I hope it has somewhere to store zee bugz for eating later!

I wouldn't like to be in an accident in that either. I also liked the first shot as it drove into that narrow space - how is anyone supposed to get in/out of the car or those next to it?

Useful on a golf course, perhaps!

Shape shifting electric city car? - Terry W

I'm not convinced by the ability to alter the track which seems only to benefit parking and add complexity.

But I suspect that for urban dweller (most of the population) it will meet most of their personal needs for commute, shopping, social assuming two seats and modest luggage space.

Most SUVs and 4x4 typically travel with two on board and are hugely inefficient. Within a decade expect them to be banned or taxed beyond the means of most in cities.

No good for Motorways and fast A roads - but in a large city this is unimportant - particularly as a second car that cost less to run than catching the bus.