National grid to drain your EV battery. - focussed

So that's why they want smart meters!

"Electric car owners will be called on to help Britain avoid an energy crunch as suppliers prepare tariffs allowing them to draw power from parked vehicles at times of low supply or high demand.

Cars which are charging on driveways are to be plugged into a system responsible for balancing the National Grid for the first time, in an experiment aimed at easing the burden on the country's creaking energy infrastructure.

It will lay the groundwork for a national rollout of the technology if successful, paving the way for millions of electric cars to act as a giant battery so that power supply is stable at times of low wind speeds after the transition to green energy."

"Julian Leslie, chief engineer at the network operator National Grid ESO, said they were working to ensure the network was fit for “a heavily renewables-driven” future.

He said the grid would always find ways to manage but added: “If we can get 10 million vehicles doing vehicle-to-grid, then fantastic.”

As I suggested would happen recently on this forum.

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/02/10/national-g.../

Edited by focussed on 10/02/2022 at 20:53

National grid to drain your EV battery. - Xileno

I can't see the article as it's subscription only but presumably this would be an opt-in arrangement but perhaps with financial incentives to encourage people. I wouldn't want to go out to my EV in the morning and find the Grid had taken quite a slice of my charge if I had a long journey.

I can't see the article as it's subscription only but presumably this would be an opt-in arrangement but perhaps with financial incentives to encourage people. I wouldn't want to go out to my EV in the morning and find the Grid had taken quite a slice of my charge if I had a long journey.

I posted what is in essence the gist of the article. and your comment is in line with some of the more polite comments in the newspaper.

National grid to drain your EV battery. - Chris M

Most EV owners will not be returning home with an almost flat battery and will not require a full battery the following day. I imagine the Grid will give you options as to how much they take in the evening and then replace it in the early hours. The best deals i.e. top rates for what they take and lowest for what they supply back will encourage owners to play along. Those who don't want to play along will pay more to charge at a time they choose not when the Grid would like you to. Seems okay to me.

Edited by Chris M on 10/02/2022 at 22:21

National grid to drain your EV battery. - Ethan Edwards

One small flaw. If your EV does not do V2L vehicle to load then backflowing power is not technically feasible. Very few do this yet. Mine certainly don't. Plus that's why I did not install a smart charger. I installed a dumb charger. Nobody who isn't physically standing next to it, can affect it.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 10/02/2022 at 22:30

But we are talking about the future. Maybe 5 or more years time. Battery technology will move on. Current EV owners are beta testing.

National grid to drain your EV battery. - RichT54

Will these additional discharge/recharge cycles not wear out the cars' batteries sooner?

National grid to drain your EV battery. - kiss (keep it simple)

Yes they will in theory. I imagine the ideal users for this plan would be the many people who only do a low mileage, so the battery would not be unduly stressed. As I mentioned in an earlier post, there are 4 Teslas very near me all of which spend most of their time parked up on the drive. There is one in the next road which seems to be permanently parked behind what is obviously their daily driver.

National grid to drain your EV battery. - Terry W

Assume I have an EV.

I would happily sell my car battery capacity to the National Grid for (say) 30p a unit at 17.00, then recharge the battery at 03.00 for 5p a unit.

Most days I don't need the range unless I have particular plans. Occasionally I may want to ensure full range the following morning, the demand on the grid is high due to cold weather, so I pay a premium price to charge.

That a system needs to be introduced gradually with a limited number of users makes sense - it means issues arising (there will be some) can be sorted before the big rollout starts.

If you don't like the idea, have an EV, simply plug in to recharge when you get home from work at 17.00-19.00 and pay a premium price to charge. Your choice!!

Assume I have an EV.

I would happily sell my car battery capacity to the National Grid for (say) 30p a unit at 17.00, then recharge the battery at 03.00 for 5p a unit.

Most days I don't need the range unless I have particular plans. Occasionally I may want to ensure full range the following morning, the demand on the grid is high due to cold weather, so I pay a premium price to charge.

That a system needs to be introduced gradually with a limited number of users makes sense - it means issues arising (there will be some) can be sorted before the big rollout starts.

If you don't like the idea, have an EV, simply plug in to recharge when you get home from work at 17.00-19.00 and pay a premium price to charge. Your choice!!

Do you really think that you are going to be offered 30p a unit to supply the national grid from your car battery and then charge it up at 3pm for 5 p a unit?

I suggest that the smart meter will be programmed to remember the cost per unit that you paid to charge the battery the last time and you will be offered a small margin such as 25% on that cost.

And that's before HMRC get their sticky fingers on the profit you make!

National grid to drain your EV battery. - Sparrow

If you were National Grid you would love all the electric car batteries to help flatten out the demand peaks. It's even better from their perspective as someone else, the car owner, is buying the battery, not them.

If is was my car battery they wanted access to they would need to give me a good tariff to compensate me, and I would want to know how the lifetime of my battery would be affected by the additional discharge/charge cycles.

National grid to drain your EV battery. - Bolt

I would want to know how the lifetime of my battery would be affected by the additional discharge/charge cycles.

Doubt it will affect them when the time comes as battery tech is improving to the point they will all last 10 years + without worries of battery degradation no matter charge/discharge cycles, and with motor tech improving they should be able to get 1000 miles out of a charge -eventually- imo

National grid to drain your EV battery. - brum

Most manufacturers it would void the warranty. Nissan are an exception.

National grid to drain your EV battery. - barney100

With a phone battery the charge cycle is logged and the efficiency of the battery decreases with with the number of charge cycles, I guess this the same with EVs. When the grid takes the power from your battery you will need to recharge thereby increasing your number of charge cycles and hasten the drop in your battery capacity. I would consider an EV on lease if the cost was fair as you can return it after the lease runs out but owning one for me is at the moment is out of the question.

National grid to drain your EV battery. - sammy1

National Grid setting up an experiment with Octopus energy with at present some 135 EV owners signed up to get a rebate of some 60p per hour. Well I hope the experiment is well insured as batteries are very expensive.

The thought of the National Grid acting as Count Dracula sucking your battery dry is frightening and the Grid is being very selfish expecting EV owners to cover their short comings. In winter with High pressure around for a week or more EV owners will be going nowhere . Great idea though but how you would check prices offered and for how long is something else. Difficult when you cannot see electric physically disappearing from your car. Are EV car owners going to get more favourable tariffs than the rest of us?

If it were my car I would leave it unplugged when charged. The rates for electricity units bought for your car are still way up in the air and this is simply another reason why I would not consider EV at present

National grid to drain your EV battery. - Warning

They already do some of this, when big electricity users. There was a piece on the BBC, a couple of 3-4 ago, where a hotel turned off their heating for half an hour, during peak demands. The temperature dropped by 0.5, but the hotel guests did n't notice anything.

National grid to drain your EV battery. - Warning

Is this draining and recharging of batteries going to hurt the battery life?

National grid to drain your EV battery. - Manatee

Is this draining and recharging of batteries going to hurt the battery life?

Yes. Batteries might do c. 1000 cycles before their capacity has dropped by say 20-25%. If the grid borrows half a battery full and puts it back, then that's half a cycle used up.

You also need them to send you more electricity back up the pipe than they drained down it, because charging is not 100% efficient. And to my mind they should pay you the market rate when demand is high, and charge you the lower market rate for recharging when demand has dropped so you should make a profit on it.

Looking at the big picture it's obviously a good idea to use the EV storage because storage is the big problem when the sun isn't shining, there's no wind, and the generating capacity just isn't there to meet demand. Big enough batteries and pumped hydro for the sort of capacity needed are not feasible AFAIK.

"Batteries might do c. 1000 cycles before their capacity has dropped by say 20-25%. If the grid borrows half a battery full and puts it back, then that's half a cycle used up"

A couple of thoughts. Do EVs tell you battery capacity in a similar way to a phone? Is it something a savvy used buyer will learn to check or perhaps the likes of WBAC when valuing. Remaining battery capacity is unlikely to be a concern of the first owner on a PCP unless there's a limit stated in the agreement.

>>Do EVs tell you battery capacity in a similar way to a phone?

It probably shows up in the range, but I imagine it will be stored somewhere even if not displayed.

>>Remaining battery capacity is unlikely to be a concern of the first owner on a PCP unless there's a limit stated in the agreement.

Maybe...but if the battery is likely to be heavily used for grid storage then the PCP payments will have to reflect the likely impact on value over the period of use.

This seems a reasonably objective analysis of EV battery performance which suggests the extremes of failure after a few years or 20+ year usable life will be the exception not the rule.

What can 6,000 electric vehicles tell us about EV battery health? | Geotab

One key point is that the most damaging treatment for a battery is to run to ~0% and then fast charge to ~100%. Adjusting EV software to accept discharge or charge beyond "safe" rates is hardly rocket science.

Incidentally the National Grid use a Triad system to determine maximum demand used as the basis of transmission charges - certainly for large industrial users. 30 minute highest demand on three days during the year is measured.

One large organisation I know monitored the weather forecasts on days of potentially cold weather - and switched to back up generators on the days they thought might be a Triad.

Edited by Terry W on 13/02/2022 at 16:59

This seems a reasonably objective analysis of EV battery performance which suggests the extremes of failure after a few years or 20+ year usable life will be the exception not the rule.

What can 6,000 electric vehicles tell us about EV battery health? | Geotab

One key point is that the most damaging treatment for a battery is to run to ~0% and then fast charge to ~100%. Adjusting EV software to accept discharge or charge beyond "safe" rates is hardly rocket science.

Incidentally the National Grid use a Triad system to determine maximum demand used as the basis of transmission charges - certainly for large industrial users. 30 minute highest demand on three days during the year is measured.

One large organisation I know monitored the weather forecasts on days of potentially cold weather - and switched to back up generators on the days they thought might be a Triad.

That's interesting but I'd be cautious with those data, which are necessarily skewed to the bottom of the S curve where users may be atypical of the mainstream. Hopefully the data are corrected for usage profile. Tesla is impressive.
I know of a couple of well used Notes on which the batteries are ropey. Probably because they had a modest range when new and tend to be run well below 50% charge.

Big enough batteries

I think they are on the way given time, but using EVs as a battery back up I doubt will even put a dent in what will be needed

instead of giving what appears to me as a daft story, they should be putting money into getting alternative ideas to good use that includes nuclear Fusion although it wont be ready for 20 odd years (so they say) there must be better solutions out there than whats been suggested so far

good discussion but no good in real life imo ....

It would take them the best part of 20 years to build enough nuclear fission generation let alone fusion which IIRC has now been produced for as long as 5 seconds in captivity.

The French have pretty well done it. As I write this 75% of their demand is met by nuclear.

www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/france/

The average UK household uses ~10KWh per day.

A typical EV may have a 50KWh battery.

Running the battery flat would give 5 days use - but not a smart idea.

Assuming ~3 days household use is probably plausible.

This would certainly put a BIG dent in the problem. Whether is completely de-risks energy supply concerns is questionable.

Existing gas generation can start up in minutes and is how the difference between demand and supply is managed now.

It can fill in the gaps for the next 20+ years. There is no good reason not to start managing the overall power supply using EVs immediately.

OK let's assume EV s acquire the ability to backflow power as requested by your smart meter. I'm calling BS on this whole story. Why? Cos I only plugs me EV in when it needs a charge. When it's full I unplug it. In fact I have no need to charge it every day, maybe twice a week? What muppet would leave it plugged in all the time?

Now smart meters may get exponentially smarter but I'm unsure exactly how smart they'd need to be to pop into my garage through the locked door unlock my EV and plug it into my wallbox?

Perhaps the level of skynet? Maybe we need John Connors opinion...

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 13/02/2022 at 20:52

So it will have to be worth your while then. The net result of them taking power from you when it's at the scarcity price and selling back when it's at it's cheapest could be that you wake up with a bit of money in your bank account.

National grid to drain your EV battery. - alan1302

OK let's assume EV s acquire the ability to backflow power as requested by your smart meter. I'm calling BS on this whole story. Why? Cos I only plugs me EV in when it needs a charge.

It's a real story and it's something that the National Grid are already trialling...odd you think it's not true though just because you don't leave your EV plugged in. You do realise other people will do things differently?

Like I said. What kind of muppet leaves their EV plugged in when they don't need to?

Like I said. What kind of muppet leaves their EV plugged in when they don't need to?

People that come home at 11pm and plug it in and aren't going to get up at 3am to unplug it - you might do that but most won't and if I'm a muppet for not wanting to get up to unplug it then so be it! :-)

National grid to drain your EV battery. - badbusdriver

People that come home at 11pm and plug it in and aren't going to get up at 3am to unplug it - you might do that but most won't and if I'm a muppet for not wanting to get up to unplug it then so be it! :-)

To me, Ethan's point and question only makes sense if you have an EV with a decent range and only need to charge up once or twice a week, if that.

For folk who need to charge every day?, maybe if the car is parked on the street the owner might make a point of unplugging (to remove the trip hazard), but my guess is that more than 50% of EV owners would just leave it plugged in till they leave. As far as I am aware, once the battery has been recharged, no more power will be being drawn through the cable. So I think I'd actually be inclined to turn Ethan's question round and ask who (assuming the car is on the owners property) would bother to unplug it and why?.

Have to say, I often see EV's and PHEV's 'still plugged in', when I arrive on a busy street in the morning to clean windows.

It's a real story and it's something that the National Grid are already trialling.

Don`t doubt it, but there are loads of companies trialling different ideas but whether they are used eventually is another thing altogether...

we will wait and see, there are so many ideas out there it will be interesting to see what is used and what disappears into history, interesting times

National grid to drain your EV battery. - Brit_in_Germany

All you need to know ...

www.virta.global/vehicle-to-grid-v2g

An excellent link

"""Globally there will be 140-240 million electric vehicles by 2030. This means that we'll have at least 140 million tiny energy storages on wheels with an aggregated storage capacity of 7 TWh.""""

ViIRTA just another new business with grand ideas for the possible future of EV and energy supplies. I would feel happier if it was the National Grid leading innovation and publishing it as such. Would you invest in such a company which may or may not have a solution. From what I can understand at present companies that supply public chargers are not doing a very good job with many being out of action for considerable periods.

The Quote above is from the Virta link their estimate of batteries differing by some 100million is hell of a lot of leeway!

Making this number of batteries is frightening and how green is it and what happens when they have to be disposed of eventually.

It is encouraging that companies are working away at technology but EV seems to me to be swopping fossil for something we do not know too much about at the moment

National grid to drain your EV battery. - corax
Making this number of batteries is frightening and how green is it and what happens when they have to be disposed of eventually.

You could argue that drilling for and refining oil is hardly green, and to top it you are then burning it and releasing it all back into the atmosphere. There is the possibility for batteries to be recycled.

"It is encouraging that companies are working away at technology but EV seems to me to be swopping fossil for something we do not know too much about at the moment"

The same thing was no doubt thought when the first ICE cars were experimented with and sharing the roads with horses. As has been said before, it's a transition, and at some point oil will be economically unviable to drill. The world moves on, and I don't think the younger generation are going to wait for oil to run out before they have an alternative.

The University of Colorado has reviewed the position on climate change and concluded that the world has already done enough to alleviate warming to 9 degrees Fahrenheit by the end of this century. So the conclusion is that by almost doing nothing the ""problem" has gone away or did not exist in the first place. Now there's a surprise I wonder who started the panic

The University of Colorado has reviewed the position on climate change and concluded that the world has already done enough to alleviate warming to 9 degrees Fahrenheit by the end of this century. So the conclusion is that by almost doing nothing the ""problem" has gone away or did not exist in the first place. Now there's a surprise I wonder who started the panic

If you read the paper on their website you will note they said this:

The authors stress 3.6 degrees F (2 C) of warming will still take a dramatic toll on the planet, and this is no time for complacency.

“We're getting close to our two-degree target, but we definitely have a lot more work to do if we're going to get to 1.5,” said Burgess.

All they have said is that they believe the changes that have been made and will need be continued with will ensure the worst case scenarios won't come to pass.

You need to read your news from other sources than the Daily Mail