Parking issues - geeksy

Hello,

My house is on a relatively busy road and during the day, cars are parked either side of my driveway as well on the opposite side, adjoining the road (no houses opposite). These are mostly who work in the nearby offices. I struggle to get the car in/out when a car has been parked outside my house, close to the driveway. Even though there is plenty of space between my driveway and neighbors driveway, people just don't realise the inconvenience they cause by parking closer to either of the driveways, over the H bar. Letters to nearby offices, council etc etc has had no effect.

A friend who runs a used car dealership suggests buying a car with MOT & tax it, park it outside my house, so no one else can park. I don't need to use the second car though. My neighbors will have no issues as they their own parking and also in the same situation as me. My wife though is against it saying, apart from the cost, it is unethical. Has anyone been in this situation or heard off, seems a bit too much paying close to £600 to get a car and not use it.

Advise and opinions and other ideas on how to overcome this issue would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Parking issues - RT

You would need to insure the car as well as MoT and VED.

Parking issues - Cris_on_the_gas

Have you considered reverse parking on your driveway. Makes getting out easier and better for the car and the environment.

Parking issues - Brit_in_Germany

Curious as to the last two benefits - what is the reason behind them?

My suggestion would be that if pakring next to a dropped kerb is prohibitted, see if widening the drive and/or the dropped kerb would be possible.

Parking issues - geeksy

Curious as to the last two benefits - what is the reason behind them?

My suggestion would be that if pakring next to a dropped kerb is prohibitted, see if widening the drive and/or the dropped kerb would be possible.

Thanks for the response.

That is an option and would give me some extra space when driving out of the house. But no guarantee people won't still park on the dropped kerb, as they think they are still leaving a car width gap. Parking on dropped kerb or over H lines is not illegal, as far as I am aware.

Edited by geeksy on 12/11/2021 at 09:38

Parking issues - Brit_in_Germany

Parking adjacent a dropped kerb is prohibited in London and other local authorities may also prohibit this. They can then issue a PCN.

Parking issues - geeksy

Have you considered reverse parking on your driveway. Makes getting out easier and better for the car and the environment.

Thanks for the response.

Yes that is exactly what I am doing now, when there is no oncoming traffic or vehicles behind me. Even then, it makes it difficult to drive out when cars are parked on the side and opposite, making the road narrow :-(

Edited by geeksy on 12/11/2021 at 09:39

Parking issues - geeksy

Thanks for the response.

Insurance not needed unless I drive the vehicle right?

Edited by geeksy on 12/11/2021 at 09:39

Parking issues - Bromptonaut

Thanks for the response.

No. If it's not SORN and therefore off road it has to be insured.

www.theaa.com/driving-advice/legal/continuous-insu...t

Parking issues - geeksy

Thanks for the response.

Oh, good to know that. Thanks very much.

Parking issues - RT

Thanks for the response.

Oh, good to know that. Thanks very much.

To clarify - it does need insurance - SORN only applies if it's off the public highway

Parking issues - Andrew-T

<< To clarify - it does need insurance - SORN only applies if it's off the public highway.>>

To clarify further - SORN is a Statutory Off-Road Notification, so if you have made one, you should abide by it, or a fine may appear unexpectedly.

Parking issues - geeksy

Thank you both

Parking issues - SLO76
My mother had a parking issue at her home a number of years ago relating to an ignorant neighbour and his offspring who were simply incapable of either using their own driveway or parking considerately. I left an old cheap trade in sat outside her house to block said neighbour from parking over her driveway. This car was taxed, Mot’d and insured plus I still sold it for a profit.
Parking issues - geeksy
My mother had a parking issue at her home a number of years ago relating to an ignorant neighbour and his offspring who were simply incapable of either using their own driveway or parking considerately. I left an old cheap trade in sat outside her house to block said neighbour from parking over her driveway. This car was taxed, Mot’d and insured plus I still sold it for a profit.

Good to know this :-) Weighing up my options now..