Penalty points not declared to insurance - John Mighty
Hi, so basically a couple of years ago I got a speeding ticket and 3 penalty points, I completely forgot to tell my insurance and even on renewal I didn’t tell them so I’ve been insured with them for a couple of years and they knew nothing about my points. This year when I renewed my policy I remembered to add in the points that I got a couple of years earlier, and now my current policy that I’ve just made, has everything updated. I received a letter where they asked me to send them my second part of my license because they found some discrepancies on their database (I imagine it’s the fact that on my old policies with them I didn’t declare my points) but obviously these are expired policies where I never made a claim, what can they do once they see that I didn’t update my info on the old policies?
Many thanks
Penalty points not declared to insurance - Falkirk Bairn

You do not have policies.

You have one insurance policy that you have renewed and failed to tell them of speeding points.

It will be down to the insurer as to what they do BUT they could retrospectively ask for £xx or £xxx for premiums they would have charged. They could cancel your current policy for omissions of the points in previous years or both.

A few ££s would not be that serious BUT if they cancel your current cover you will have a very expensive problem.

Taking out NEW insurance after a company has cancelled a policy or refused to renew a policy stays with YOU and you have to own up to this to any future policies that you take out with a new insurer This will seriously increase any premiums as only a limited number of insurers will take on people who have "broken the rules" in failing to disclose relevant information e.g. points for speeding, having a criminal record, previous claims.

Doing 33 in a 30 limit might not cause them a great problem BUT doing 55mph in a 30 limit or 95 on a motorway could have meant they would not insure you had they known about the points.

I know it is too late BUT if you had changed insurers & told the new company of the points the current problem you have possibly would not have arisen.

Penalty points not declared to insurance - John Mighty
Yeah the new policy that I have is with another company which I didn’t know was owned by my previous insurance company.
Penalty points not declared to insurance - Middleman

Doing 33 in a 30 limit might not cause them a great problem

It wouldn't cause you too much of a problem either because enforcement begins at 35mph and all police forces in England & Wales subscribe to that guidance threshold.

Penalty points not declared to insurance - Andrew-T
Yeah the new policy that I have is with another company which I didn’t know was owned by my previous insurance company.

I don't believe that makes much difference, as insurers share a lot of personal info - they have to, for obvious reasons.

Penalty points not declared to insurance - Gibbo_Wirral

I don't believe that makes much difference, as insurers share a lot of personal info - they have to, for obvious reasons.

They sure do. I've not had to show proof of NCD for many years whenever I change insurer

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 08/11/2021 at 12:23

Penalty points not declared to insurance - RT

They sure do. I've not had to show proof of NCD for many years whenever I change insurer

They often don't ask for proof until you make a claim.